Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hmmm,

This might be unpopular but...

How many cabs have we got from the UK over the years? Maybe its fair game for them to take a truck load? I'm sure there would not be any issues if anyone here was looking for a Goliath for example and getting one form the UK? Wouldn't like to start a turf war or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Hmmm,

This might be unpopular but...

How many cabs have we got from the UK over the years? Maybe its fair game for them to take a truck load? I'm sure there would not be any issues if anyone here was looking for a Goliath for example and getting one form the UK? Wouldn't like to start a turf war or anything...

Some of my cabs were shipped from UK. It's only €100 to have them shipped on a pallet with transland to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Once all the Japanese lads get wind of the Candy's over there and the UK there will be murder!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

in fairness, the info was posted here several times over the years so anyone could have tried. I myself tried to buy a few cabs/boards chatting to the op last year but prices where on par with ebay (and all untested) and had no room so let it go.

dave09 (limerick barcade) read that post and he was the only one from Ireland that did something about the info.

I'll miss having a few games of outrun when next in skerries but hopefully the limerick barcade got it and gets the them all refurbed and playable for all to enjoy again.

Crazy prices. That red tent, for example, had pretty bad burn-in. Considering that youd have to source another TWO very rare monitors for it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Doh haha I go to Bobs every year and post like that on here, think that was the third time i posted a thread like that. I know some people on here approached them before and they didn’t want to sell. Guess the timing was just right. I could tell where it was from the photos but never guessed my post kicked it all off ! I personally would never spend big money on a load of cabs like that. I’d only go after stuff I think was a bargain. Mainly because I wouldn’t have money to buy them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

http://www.rklok.nl/
    SNK SUPERNEO 29 Arcade cabinet

Wiring : Jamma/MVS
    Original screen, good condition, no burn
    Condition : Overall good, some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 1495 euro

2011superneo%20(1).JPG
    2011superneo%20(2).JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 34,926 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Those Neo 29s sure are expensive. I don't think I could spend that much money on something that looks like it was pissed on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭dav09

in fairness, the info was posted here several times over the years so anyone could have tried. I myself tried to buy a few cabs/boards chatting to the op last year but prices where on par with ebay (and all untested) and had no room so let it go.

dave09 (limerick barcade) read that post and he was the only one from Ireland that did something about the info.

I'll miss having a few games of outrun when next in skerries but hopefully the limerick barcade got it and gets the them all refurbed and playable for all to enjoy again.

We didn't get THAT Outrun from there, but we you'll have to come down and see what we have when we finally open :) (And I'm not referring to our Outrun 2 SP either)

As for buying the cabinets, most were out of budget. Many above eBay prices. We bought loads from the UK for cheaper and tested working. We got the 20 Goliaths, there was a good few more left. I had mentioned to a few arcade guys about what was up there but people didnt seem too bothered + people on here seemed to know already. Almost all of the Goliath's we got had dead boards, I believe 18/20 had major CRT issues (mostly chassis issues). We were told a lot of the stuff was 'sold' already when we arrived too. There were no major deals up there anyway really. There's probably still stuff left up there though if you want a project.

Thanks Dav09,
    Will you be open before christmas?

I certainly think so yes. We won't be drawing it out any longer than we have to, we have all of our machines are sorted (probably too many, about 60 including pins, and still have a few on the way from Japan which got slightly delayed, also some from the US). Just getting the venue right for the opening is the last hurdle as we ran into many issues along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

dav09 wrote: »
    I certainly think so yes. We won't be drawing it out any longer than we have to, we have all of our machines are sorted (probably too many, about 60 including pins, and still have a few on the way from Japan which got slightly delayed, also some from the US). Just getting the venue right for the opening is the last hurdle as we ran into many issues along the way.

The venue looks like a lovely modern building, I dont know limerick well but shall be up to ye.

Is it near city area to get folks in and passers by.

Best of luck Dave

kevin2me wrote: »
    The venue looks like a lovely modern building, I dont know limerick well but shall be up to ye.

Is it near city area to get folks in and passers by.

Best of luck Dave

Definitely a boards.ie night out !!

eddhorse wrote: »
    Definitely a boards.ie night out !!

Cheers Kev, it's a 6/7 euro taxi from the center, there's a bus too and the stop is about a 9 minute walk. The venue itself can be walked to in about 20 minutes from the center too.

As for that we'd be well up for accommodating. We have a nice/ quiet section too we could set aside if people wanted us to setup some other arcade boards since we've a pile of them or even consoles (I got plenty NES/SNES/Atari 2600 and most of the ones from PS1 onwards, plus some weird old ones too) and people can bring their own stuff too if they want. Along with the opportunity to experience the rest of the venue of course :)

Anyway we're very open to ideas so if there's anything people want we'll try and accommodate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Sounds like it’s going to be amazing ! I’ll have to make the trip down. Good look with it dude !

Sounds like it’s going to be amazing ! I’ll have to make the trip down. Good look with it dude !

Cheers! :) We really want this to be the best in the country so we'll do everything possible in order to give the best experience . We're also going to be swapping in and our boards and machines a lot too (every few weeks) so it'll be kept fresh for every visit!

IMG-20191023-170430.jpg

The photos above is less that half of our machines, we've loads announced on social media but have a few surprises left in store yet

Yikes , those mods need to shut that thread down.
    Although maybe more users will come forward as I have seen numerous threads for that guy scamming

dav09 wrote: »
    Cheers! :) We really want this to be the best in the country so we'll do everything possible in order to give the best experience . We're also going to be swapping in and our boards and machines a lot too (every few weeks) so it'll be kept fresh for every visit!

IMG-20191023-170430.jpg

The photos above is less that half of our machines, we've loads announced on social media but have a few surprises left in store yet

Few ideas...

1) arcade artwork, blow-up flyers around the place etc. This artwork is usually fantastic, yet very few ever saw it besides operators.

2) high score competitions, but need to make sure no shenanigans with game cheats. Have the scores recorded on side of non-rotation games.

3) have to have a street fighter tournament thingy. One of those versus city cabinets would be great. My vote goes to alpha 3, best version of Street fighter, let the debate begin! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jayus, that sort of sh1te would put you off buying or selling anything on some of those forums.

Some of the retro-computing forums I buy on are very strict when it comes to for sale threads, must have pricing, pics etc no sneaky pms. Can be a pain at times but not too many problems with chancers and scammers.

• Advertisement

beejee wrote: »
    Few ideas...

1) arcade artwork, blow-up flyers around the place etc. This artwork is usually fantastic, yet very few ever saw it besides operators.

2) high score competitions, but need to make sure no shenanigans with game cheats. Have the scores recorded on side of non-rotation games.

3) have to have a street fighter tournament thingy. One of those versus city cabinets would be great. My vote goes to alpha 3, best version of Street fighter, let the debate begin! :p

Thanks! Yeah we're open to suggestions so if anyone has any then fire away.

For 1), I think it sounds really cool and would be a nice idea for the venue, we have had loads of murals already put in and want the place as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

For 2) Definitely and has been considered already, we have a number of systems that we've analysed and have loads of ideas around this, some interesting structures discussed too for multi-game competitions. Competitions would be really nice and fun, with various prizes possible. Live streaming would be something we could look into too. Suggestions to competition types would be appreciated too.

For 3) We have a couple of SF boards, don't think we have SF3 Alpha but maybe something we could borrow for a day or two.

A thing of seen from the USA Barcades is pinball selfie leagues.
    At its most basic it works like this:
    You can play anytime over a set period and then take a selfie with your score and email it in (or insta,facebook etc).

But you can run turnies etc with the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Why oh why did I subscribe to Ronys newsletter... so much temptation.

Why oh why did I subscribe to Ronys newsletter... so much temptation.

you know you want too :p
    what's he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

you know you want too :p
    what's he got.

He listed a nice Astro City today, minor screen burn. Tbh I havent finished coverting the cabinet I started on 2 years ago after having it in sotrage for 10+

• Registered Users Posts: 34,926 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I saw that, thought it was a little on the pricey side for a cab that has screen burn.

He listed a nice Astro City today, minor screen burn. Tbh I havent finished coverting the cabinet I started on 2 years ago after having it in sotrage for 10+

What's the cabinet?
    Post a few pics ,you might get some motivation!!

What's the cabinet?
    Post a few pics ,you might get some motivation!!

2211astro%20(2).JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know having a TATE monitor is great and all, but you don't have to flip the whole cabinet!

• Advertisement

Couple more suggestions...

1) an "exploded" arcade cabinet, or one cut down the middle, as a display thingy. Shows how they work, a few notes and explanations on differences, lcd versus crt (especially how lightgun work, very interesting). Most people wouldn't have a clue, plus it would also drive home the difference between replica cabinets versus the real deal. Haven't seen that anywhere else before.

2) bits of info about the place detailing the creation of certain games, weird oddities (like popeyes almost being the mascot for nintendo). Some interesting ways to show information can be dreamt up. A very light "museum" kinda thing.

Advertisement