Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Beejee, you need to open a barcade. Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

eddhorse wrote: »
    Definitely a boards.ie night out !!

Maybe we sort a meetup in January for a boardies nite out at the new arcade bunch of us all go either day trip or stay down in limerick on the tear? But good to see ye all in person, only for cideys meets I'd never seen any of ye fine folks 😀

Those cabs look sweet Dave!

Been onto Ronnie about those 6 Vewlix black diamonds, sex on wheels they are, only blue one left gggrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Beejee, you need to open a barcade. Do it!

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Came very, very close to this a while back. Have enough games but not enough cabinets, so not to be. But you never know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭dav09

kevin2me wrote: »
    Maybe we sort a meetup in January for a boardies nite out at the new arcade bunch of us all go either day trip or stay down in limerick on the tear? But good to see ye all in person, only for cideys meets I'd never seen any of ye fine folks 😀

Those cabs look sweet Dave!

Been onto Ronnie about those 6 Vewlix black diamonds, sex on wheels they are, only blue one left gggrrrr

Cheers! We have a Vewlix and 2 Namco Noir's too which might be more up your alley! :Dhttps://www.instagram.com/p/B4cDBXEnZJM/

Just swapping out CP at the minute to make 2 player cabs.

Any date that suits people in January?

Here is the clip of the new arcade, as you can see. Room for expansion!!

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZH2gjEM

Well im finally on the other side of the arcade renovation.
    Just a few more evenings and a few more $$$ will see it finished.
    Fiber optic ceiling finished last night :cool:

Here's a taster

IpyfoDn.jpg

550 fibers,the kit was only 100e but the labour is shocking,took 2 of us 14 hours to get it installed.And that's with good access from above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭dav09

beejee wrote: »
    Couple more suggestions...

1) an "exploded" arcade cabinet, or one cut down the middle, as a display thingy. Shows how they work, a few notes and explanations on differences, lcd versus crt (especially how lightgun work, very interesting). Most people wouldn't have a clue, plus it would also drive home the difference between replica cabinets versus the real deal. Haven't seen that anywhere else before.

2) bits of info about the place detailing the creation of certain games, weird oddities (like popeyes almost being the mascot for nintendo). Some interesting ways to show information can be dreamt up. A very light "museum" kinda thing.

Cheers, some cool suggestions there.

The first one would be interesting, would be cool to show how they work if people would be interested, would have to make sure one is either off or maybe put polycarbonate or acrylic at the back though, the last thing you'd want is someone pulling at the HV connector even if off (although if discharged properly it would be fine I suppose, just a risk if someone plugged in again)! Or as you said just a total display piece with plugs, mercury and everything dangerous removed.

The second would be cool too, I have far too many pointless arcade facts/ info in my head. Old unreleased Nintendo cabinets are interesting. Always fascinated by technical stuff too such as the Space Invaders speed up technique, throttling the CPU and speeds up naturally as sprites disappear but maybe that's too technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ooooohhhh

Sega Aerotable arcade cabinet
    Wiring : Jamma
    Nanao screen MS826 screen , good condition, some burn, but hardly visible in game!
    All original parts!
    Condition : Overall ok , some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 1695 euro
    http://www.rklok.nl/

3011aerot%20(1).jpg
    3011aerot%20(3).jpg

EDIT : Can someone tell me how to rotate pics in IMG tags for future reference?

I wonder were these made to have drinks etc placed on the glass.
    I have a spare 29" monitor and have been thinking about making a cocktail cabinet.......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,926 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It has it's original speaker pod and marquee sign standy thingy :eek:

Those speaker pods are so rare alone that Ronnie did a repro run of them and they were super pricey.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It has it's original speaker pod and marquee sign standy thingy :eek:

Those speaker pods are so rare alone that Ronnie did a repro run of them and they were super pricey.

You haven't bought a cab in years......have you?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Would be 5 years ago in a couple of months if I remember correctly, definitely feeling an itch!

Funnily enough, it's the same price as the management fee I've to pay in January.

Wonder if I buy this instead and bring it to the next OMC meeting would that do instead? :pac:

Finally received the star wars trilogy last weekend, major thanks to Ollie for organising.. cab is physically in pretty good condition overall.... bonus find of manky €2 coin down the back too

IMG-5217.jpg

IMG-5233.jpg

Upon powering it up the monitor and speakers came on but no power going to the model 3 board, poking around i quickly discovered the power supply for the game board had been removed, these are notoriously flaky, rarely found for sale and expensive when they do come up, luckily the board only requires 3.3v/5v and 12v (for fans) all which are available on a standard pc ATX power supply so after locating some female JST connectors I went about wiring up an adapter, initially the game booted but froze a few seconds after, i suspected this was due to low amps on the 5v, 3.3v lines so lopped the end off the ATX and wired directly to the JST connectors, one for one over 30 pins and the game booted up and ran perfectly which was a nice surprise as model 3 is prone to failure on one of the boards.

Next up I noticed I had no in game audio, sound effects were there but no music was being played. The Model 3 gameboard itself only handles the sound effects, a separate DSB2 board and amp on the right hand tray of the cab handles all in game music (I guess this was done to take the load off the cpu). This board was receiving power but no data, there are 4 leds that indicate communication and power and only red were lit, after scratching my head for a while and finding the pinout online I discovered someone had plugged to connector into the dsb2 the wrong way around! after it was flipped the sound came back perfectly.. As an aside the sound of this thing is amazing, the doors were shaking from the subwoofer installed at the bottom of the cab, really sounds incredible when you hear the classic John Williams score in all its glory.. after this and some tweaking on the monitor all was good or so I thought until I booted a game, the joystick moved left/right but up and down were extremely jittery and made it unplayable, theres a pretty extensive calibration menu in the game and theres also a happ pot amp mounted to the side of the joystick but no amount of adjusting would bring the up/down within tolerable levels.

IMG-5292.jpg

I was just about to order a new pot from happ when I thought Id give the pots a clean, stripped them down and discovered they were completely covered in gunk, a quick wipe and a shot with contact cleaner and lo and behold the joystick worked perfectly.. even the bulbs in the event buttons were still working, after that I replaced the faulty tube in the marquee with an LED one and played some games..

Its by no means a deep game but it is a really fun on rails shooter and nothing quite compares to blasting down that trench to shoot your torpedoes into the reactor core while surrounded by the amazing music score and sound effects.. all is left to do now is some cosmetic work, might change the tmoulding and fill some bits but will leave that until the weather improves and enjoy the game in the meantime.

https://youtu.be/so3mQ2eZyyM

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

B E A utiful!!! Love this cab

BEAST!

Great work guys, rescued for more fun.

Also Ronnie has a nice one too :
    www.rklok.nl

Original Toshiba/Nanao screen , perfect condition, NO burn
    All original parts!
    Condition : Overall ok , some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 2295 euro

pony3%20(3).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

For people building and repairing arcade machines, is there a preferred set of buttons/joystick you'd recommend to someone making their first MAME machine? I'll be keeping it middle of the road with the 6 buttons for Street Fighter, plus whatever control buttons are needed. Cheers

Master of the Universe

The_B_Man wrote: »
    For people building and repairing arcade machines, is there a preferred set of buttons/joystick you'd recommend to someone making their first MAME machine? I'll be keeping it middle of the road with the 6 buttons for Street Fighter, plus whatever control buttons are needed. Cheers

Either sanwa or seimitsu sticks and buttons. Best you can get.

Generally it goes, if you play shooters a lot, go seimitsu as they're tighter and better for lots of small movements. Sanwa if youre into you capcom fighters with all those sweeping diagonal movements.

The_B_Man wrote: »

Since you mention Street Fighter a Sanwa JLF/Sanwa buttons as thats the standard, either that or the shorter throw Seimitsu LS-32 joystick which i have on most my cabs, works great with all other genre's imho and the older street fighters in particular.. others use happ (think these these were the standard on american cabs) but have no experience with them personally

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Are the joystick game/emulators any good. The plug and play one's. Have no room for a cabinet so would settle for the plug and play onto the tv.

Any recommendations? Something with Wonderboy in monsterland, Mario and bubble bobble atleast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Limpy wrote: »
    Are the joystick game/emulators any good. The plug and play one's. Have no room for a cabinet so would settle for the plug and play onto the tv.

Any recommendations? Something with Wonderboy in monsterland, Mario and bubble bobble atleast.

How about a Raspberry Pi, hight quality stick and put whatever game you want on it? Probably work out the same price ish

How about a Raspberry Pi, hight quality stick and put whatever game you want on it? Probably work out the same price ish

This is easy and put Retropie on it

Ronnie from RKLOK.nl

SEGA AERO City Arcade cabinet

Original screen, good condition, no visible burn in game
    Condition : Overall good, some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 995 euro

1212aero%20(3).jpg

Master of the Universe

Wow that's a fresh looking Aero! Have to wonder where the hell he's pulling these from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well lads.

Many many many many moons back I got this cab from the very sound DefenderDude.
    Two years ago I finally got it back out of storage and started to "convert" it.

13 months have passed and I still have done no more. Im a lazy ****er.

Ignore the dodgy temp control panel I put together in 10 mins using a bit of spare timber :D

2019-12-15.jpg

My bigget issue is making a new control panel for it while keeping it inline with the cabinet. The current angle does not work for my tall paws. Yet, I do not want to make a large monstrosity on a control panel with a flatter angle to the layout of the cabinet.. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

get rid of the player 1/2 and the 3rd button you have on the control panel and move them to the front panel of the cab this will free up the control panel for just the 2 joystick's and the 12 buttons

SEGA AERO City Arcade cabinet

http://www.rklok.nl/

Original Nanao/Toshiba screen, very good condition, no burn !
    2 player (repro) panel
    Condition : Overall good, some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 995 euro

1712aero%20(2).jpg

Master of the Universe

Bloody hell that's even nicer and mintier than the last!!

I'd never buy another Aero again though. Gorgeous yolks, but they're just not economical when it comes to size and weight.

Almost the same size as an Atomiswave SD, but all metal so 10kg heavier and it has a 5 inch smaller monitor.

And the bloody back isn't flat so it doesn't fit flush against a wall.

I regretted getting rid of mine and missed it so much I had to import another one and pay well over and the odds, also needed loads of work wish this was available then.. I love them but they are crazy heavy even with monitor out, built like a tank though, classic design for me would never get rid of mine again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im determined to just finish my cabinet and not buy one of his aeros!
    For once in my life i have the cash idle too.. herself however may divorce me

Advertisement