Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

fmul9798 wrote: »
    I see the Ireland raid has made it to Tony's blog. Such a pity that these went across the sea.
    https://arcadeblogger.com/2020/02/14/arcade-raid-ireland-eu/

Heh, I like the way they need to title the location as 'Ireland, EU' :) The auld UK people get confused yea know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

in the post coming my way from coinopwarehouse . At least it'll be one more cab in the country :)

86826105_10158045317663276_978325075365199872_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=AO3ZECCHnLIAX9CDx7r&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=6d4fe64034bb5931aca14fa7fee89cd0&oe=5EB6BFC5

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

BGOllie wrote: »
    top dollars was paid as far as I can hear. It's easy to complain after the facts but truth is, a lot of people knew about the place and none wanted to paid the asking price. Some did stay in Ireland, whoever got them didn't get a bargain but at least helped prevent those cabs from rotting away in a damp warehouse

Top dollar was paid I can guarantee and even over the odds I would reckon, was hoping by a matter of odds more would work than what we received but unfortunately not. Lots restored and working now thankfully. We didn't buy a good lot as they wanted a couple of grand for cabs with issues/ could be bought cheaper in the UK. Not many in Ireland got them I would say. They seemed to mostly want to deal with UK guys with top dollar who would bulk buy rather than the individual. Also some stuff in those photos that I hadn't seen at all (i.e. TX1). And some from my own photos that's not in theirs. Will mention future "raids" to more people as its better to work with than against, the few I did mention it to on here had no interest it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Very nice - congrats
    BGOllie wrote: »
    in the post coming my way from coinopwarehouse . At least it'll be one more cab in the country :)

86826105_10158045317663276_978325075365199872_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=AO3ZECCHnLIAX9CDx7r&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=6d4fe64034bb5931aca14fa7fee89cd0&oe=5EB6BFC5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So just came back from Seattle on Friday where I was stationed for two and a half weeks for training for my new job.

Anyway, got a chance to check out Gameworks a few times while I was there (formerly Sega City).

You can check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/MrVestek/videos/2408457719468429/

Did a little walk about for my Facebook page. You should be able to view that without a FB account (if you're not so inclined).

Was a seriously cool place to hang out... bit on the pricey side where it came to game credits but well worth it for being able to play some of my favourite old school (and some new school) games.

Plus they had an onsight bar and restaurant and the food was delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

nice project to get stuck into BGOllie while a bit scruffy looks some bit intact !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Yep, great pickup ollie, a classic.

Looks fantastic Ollie I'm sure there's no better man to restore it to its former glory. I'd say there'll be a few cabs from stateside coming in here soon, I assume brexit will probably make importing cabs from the US near impossible (without paying double tax, or paying mad money for transport from Italy) next year and will probably harm the scene here too if there are import tariffs between here and the UK for trading cabs unfortunately.

Saw this the other day going into the cinema, one of the newer machines I've seen around even if it's a few years old.

Was looking forward to giving it a go but it was turned off when we were leaving, doh!

DSC-1946.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is that Cineworld on Parnell Street?

I've never played that but assumed it was going to be a pile of poo.

Had a look at some vids on youtube and it actually looks kind of good. The visuals have a Naomi/Dreamcast kind of quality to them.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is that Cineworld on Parnell Street?

I've never played that but assumed it was going to be a pile of poo.

Had a look at some vids on youtube and it actually looks kind of good. The visuals have a Naomi/Dreamcast kind of quality to them.

Looks okay, nothing we haven't seen before really though. Its a lot like their other games like Terminator. I'm not sure what it is about a lot of the modern games (besides some rhythm games) but they just don't do it for me, a lot of Raw Thrills games just don't do it for me, not enough creativity gameplay wise like most modern games but they have one or two good games.

Worlds largest pacman: moves entire head to glance at what pattern is happening on the top part of the screen, looks back to character: DEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Inviere

dav09 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what it is about a lot of the modern games (besides some rhythm games) but they just don't do it for me

Couldn't agree more, they all look and feel so generic. Knowing they're just off the shelf pc's in the cabs kills the feel too, there was a lot to be said for bespoke hardware in a nice dedicated cab. Also, arcades really had that "wow" factor, and the games you seen in them raised the bar for graphics and gameplay....but now, they're home-console level graphics and experiences, so there's no magic to the new cabs.

its raw thrills its bound to be ****

dav you've just saved me from throwing any money in that pacman in funworld

Inviere wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, they all look and feel so generic. Knowing they're just off the shelf pc's in the cabs kills the feel too, there was a lot to be said for bespoke hardware in a nice dedicated cab. Also, arcades really had that "wow" factor, and the games you seen in them raised the bar for graphics and gameplay....but now, they're home-console level graphics and experiences, so there's no magic to the new cabs.
    yeah of the shelf pc's and gd's killed some bit of the love of arcade hardware for me

Some decent modern fighting games too but they're not really my thing. Never was a fan of that huge "Worlds Biggest" pacman personally, the moving fruit and some stuff is cool, the multi-player aspect isn't too bad but just too big to play properly for me.

It's a shame about hardware, having dedicated hardware was great but I supposed now at least things are probably a little more maintainable in some ways, but takes away from it overall for me too. Eventhough Naomi's/ Chihiro's/ Lindbergh were basically just consoles with JVS and some tweaks, still makes all the difference for me, still feel like real boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

There was a fun Space Invaders cab I played while on holiday. You sit in front of a screen that is made of of large LED's and the invaders come down. The twist is you have gun to blast them and weapons to upgrade. While you blast away the cab is shaking with you sitting on a sub woofer. Great fun.
    503375.jpg

The newish Daytona 3 was also a good one:
    503373.jpg

And a walking dead game the same as in Ollies video. It was beside the same Jurassic Park cab from beejees pic above. The two cabs are similar but The Walking Dead game is definitely not for kids......... ooops!
    503376.jpg

couple of pinball tables. Xmen and Ghostbusters
    503374.jpg

Actually that Daytona 3 is one I forgot about, it seemed to be slated by fans of the originals but I quite enjoyed it, it's a decent driving game but just a bit different to the originals, there's a few around Ireland too.

As for pinballs, lots of the modern Stern pinballs are good eventhough I'm not really a pinball head, have a few down at Level Up, Ghostbusters being one. Haven't tried any by jersey jack or heighway.

I went to an Arcade in Soho in London called Las Vegas recently, dead center of London. Lots of cool rhythm games if anyone is ever nearby, some drivers too, massively let down by Mario Kart GP3 or whatever the newest one is.

Daytona 3 can also be run on pc easily if your that way inclined since Sega accidentally released it publicly as an upgrade to ops.. it’s a fun game and retains a lot of what made the original good

Daytona 3 can also be run on pc easily if your that way inclined since Sega accidentally released it publicly as an upgrade to ops.. it’s a fun game and retains a lot of what made the original good

It can, I remember when it first leaked it was bad with loads of issues but I assume they've been fixed in the meantime.

Setup leap motion controller and nunchuck for some
    Magicians dead gameplay today, game is a pretty fun 3rd person arena shooter that uses hand gestures to perform spells, basically your hand is the mouse and you move your thumb to shoot .. grab stuff and throw it etc. still getting my head around the controls but pretty fun albeit a bit tiring after a while

https://youtu.be/lxa01JcCci8

• Advertisement

I have parted the fogs of time and gazed upon an old Irish brochure of prices!

Some stand out stuff like

Tekken 2, pcb only, 950 punt
    Sf alpha 2, pcb only, 750 punt
    Addams family pinball, 750 punt
    Twilight zone, 450 punt

Gas!

And here's another picture from that cinema. The bulb had gone in the projector
    DSC-1947.jpg

Also, killer instinct cabinets fell off a cliff, only 1750 punt a few years after release. Huh!

Mortal kombat 2 cabinet, 600
    Ridge racer twin, 8000
    Virtua fighter cabinet, 1400
    Neo geo 1 slot, 190
    2 slot, 250
    4 slot, 300
    Konami xmen pcb, 350
    Namco classic collection pcb, 250
    Whitewater pinball, 550
    Star trek ng pinball, 600

Funny, some of these prices have flipped around. Pinballs are obviously through the roof, but some arcade things are pushing past original prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I'd gladly pay 600 Irish pounds for a new MK2 cab!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

www.rklok.nl

Japanese Arcade cabinet (Omori)

Size : 45x60x125 cm
    Wiring : Jamma
    Tosiba/Sanwa combo 18 inch screen , perfect condition, no burn
    Condition : Overall good , some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 795 euro

2402omori%20(1).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

eddhorse wrote: »
    www.rklok.nl

Japanese Arcade cabinet (Omori)

Size : 45x60x125 cm
    Wiring : Jamma
    Tosiba/Sanwa combo 18 inch screen , perfect condition, no burn
    Condition : Overall good , some scratches/paintchips
    Price : 795 euro

2402omori%20(1).jpg

does ronnies website never work anymore?

Master of the Universe

Looks like a better looking version of that pig ugly Neo Geo woodie you get in the US

fHvN2qxg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Both are fecking horrible tbh

I kinda like the jap one!

Master of the Universe

Yeah I kind of like the Japanese one too.

It's built around an 18 inch monitor so is probably really small in reality. Shame there isn't anything beside it for scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I kind of like the Japanese one too.
    Shame there isn't anything beside it for scale.

Like a puddle of puke cus its soooooooo horrible, should be in the hall of shame :)

Advertisement