Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a whole lot of LCDs for a whole lot of cash in those Videotronics UK ads. Wonder does he shift many of them?

The only deal to be had really is for those Namco Noirs at 950gbp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Scary times ahead for Ronnie. I think any of us in cab ownership can't but have come across him at some point in their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Holy crap! Poor guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Poor man, there is the stress of the surgery and the recovery time to think of, fingers crossed for him

Master of the Universe

Jesus, what a scary thing to go through - hope he comes out of it alright.

His candy import business is legendary at this stage. Literally just put in an order with him, send the money and it arrives at your door.

For a 100kg obscure enough item coming from Japan that's pretty amazing. Any other service or way of importing them I've ever looked into required quite a bit more leg work from the buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Saw that on Facebook this morning.

Poor guy, hopefully he'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sega tokens available https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44503

Same size as 100 yen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sorry for getting hopes up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

Addresspal? Might that be a way around it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

This cropped up recently! I'm 100% I played a fullscale one in Dr. Quirkeys years ago, I'd be curious to see what happened to it . (did they stick an engine in the MX5 and someones driving it on the M50 these days?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say it is fantastic, shifting like a train over the West-Link, while watching yourself do it from behind, 25 meters in air!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Thought this might interest some people here. So many Blast City cabs!

Master of the Universe

Wow that is absolutely amazing.

You do have to wonder how they manage to keep so many CRTs and PCBs going. The upkeep must be insane.

I guess keeping to the one type of CRT cab makes it a bit easier to keep parts on hand for repairs.

Next year it will be 20 years since I first visited Japan. I remember the arcades back then having a much larger variety of cabs.

Another one from the same guy. This time Taito Hey, and looks like its from 4-8 weeks ago.

So many Egret II cabs, and few Egret 3's with a great selection of games running on them! The Egret II must be very handy for them with the rotate mech.

Master of the Universe

I'd love to have a go on those full size/multi monitor Darius cabinets, have never actually seen one in person.

Yeah it's like they almost have all the Egret II cabinets in the world in that place. Can't even imagine how much they'd all be worth on the western market.

Imagine the surge in power if you switched them all on simultaneously.

I honestly don't know if I'd even have an idea of what to sit down and play first if I went in there. Would probably just collapse in a heap on a the ground.

I'm planning on re-doing some of the internals of my Egret 3 in the new year. Currently I use a JPAC for controls and video when running the PC and cant seem to find anything better in recent years.

Is anyone using something other than JPAC, or is it still the best option out there for PC to JAMMA?

Also going to replace the always crappy Wei Ya P271 power supply with a Mean Well(maybe a RT-125A). I'll probably keep it 100-110v as it seems the least invasive option. It would be nice to move away from the step downs, but it might be more hassle than its worth.

Hey Steve. I have the Atomiswave SD which is the same as your egret 3, just rebranded.

I have a jpac setup for years in it running groovymame on pc. Im a bit out of touch so had a cursory look last year for any improvements to the jpac setup but didn't find anything of note to make we want to switch it all out

I also got a replacement PSU for the wei ya but in the end decided to leave as is.

Yeah it seems JPAC is still the way to go, for my needs at least.

Edit:

I purchased the latest JPAC to replace my old one. Seems there's been a few minor updates to it in the last decade that might be worth having 🙂

Post edited by Steve X2 on

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to those jpac updates please Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've heard good things about Groovymame Steve, specifically when put head to head with a Mister unit for latency testing. What GPU do you use and how are you getting a 15Khz signal from it?

Some info on the main JPAC page.

I've been looking at Groovymame paired with those crt drivers and some modded bios for the graphics card, but not tested anything yet. The current GPU in there is an older half height AMD Radeon HD6670 running on Windows 7 @ 31Khz with Hyperspin. The current plan is to replace Hyperspin with BigBox for the FrontEnd paired with some as yet to be decided graphics card. The monitor is trisync so can do both 15Khz and 31Khz(as well as 24Khz).

The candy cab is used for both Emulation and the real deal. But if I'm honest I rarely stick in new Jamma boards, so its mostly emulation these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

There is a French guy selling the "R9 380x" cards on ebay for €65 + 20 delivery. Finally they have come down to a reasonable price.

These were the last card ATI made with analogue output over the DVD-I port and IMHO is the best "emudriver/groovymame" card if you want to play more than just MAME (e.g. Flycast, Demul, Teknoparrot, M2emu, supermodel etc etc) as it handles the 3D aspect no bother.

Recommended especially if you have a tri sync CRT/chassis. The Emudriver software will automatically switch the chassis mode for you once you configure VMmaker to tell it you have a tri sync chassis.

You can even use it for Non-MAME emulators.

Teknoparrot, Demul, Flycast can all be set to native 640x480 and since vmmaker will have a 640x480p desktop mode set it switches to 31k automatically.

Likewise for mid res. You can manually enter the mid res 496 x 384 24k details into the M2 emulator and supermodel config files and they switch to their native 24k resolution. Although you do have the manually add the 496 x 384 24k mode in as an additional desktop resolution in the vmmaker.ini file for this to switch.

I posted some examples in the CRT thread a while ago (these are all MAME but you can do the same for M2 and Supermodel with the ini file trick mentioned above)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118124354/#Comment_118124354

Here is the seller:

He puts up a new card every day and they sell fast.

e.g.

and

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/325450834641

Thanks for that. I might see if i can grab one. They are a big larger than I was planning as I use a small form factor PC in the cab. But plans can change etc :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Following this closely, I’ve an arpicade but I’d change back to a PC if there was something small form factor.

do you know if there are any micro atx boards with on board gpu capable of 15khz rather than needing a separate gpu

Anything with an old 2012 era AMD a4 cpu would work. That has a emudriver compatible gpu built into the motherboard. Might be a micro one available.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I see Ronnie just listed an Aero for sale, first time I've gotten one of those email alerts about a cab for a long time now. €1495

Interesting to see that your more common candy cabinets are now starting to go up to crazy prices too. I'd say it'll be snapped up too.

Advertisement