Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

I know there are a few that prefer to keep it as original as possible, I suppose I'd be one. So just battery replacement.

There's something at the back of my mind about some drawback to alpha3 if it has to be reprogrammed or revived, something about time unlocks? Can't remember it exactly but I do remember it wasn't well known (which sounds like a joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There are still people out there if you can believe it religiously changing suicide batteries on CPS2 boards every X amount of years.

I only have one left myself, AVP and it's on an original battery. Was changed about 15 years ago or so. I actually decided to just let it die and send the chips off to Razoola probably about ten years ago ago but it's still going strong!

Master of the Universe

Oh you're an original battery man? Yeah there's just something about having a battery that can potentially leak all over a board that makes me worry. I'd at least be storing them upside down so if a battery does leak, gravity brings the nastiness away from the board.

Did you do a silent fan mod on any of your CPS2 boards actually? I did one last year to try it out and it's amazing the difference it makes! Again might be veering away from keeping it original for some folks, I don't really plan on selling this board though so it's nice to be able to play it without sounding like there's a plane taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

My cps2 carts right now

That's actually not a bad idea about storing them upside down, I'll do that.

I've never bothered with the fan replacements as it can't be heard in a cabinet. Different story with a supergun!

Really cool looking design from capcom though, probably the best looking of all arcade pcb boards. If ever there was a company that could have made a run at a home console, it would have been capcom. Weird that they never tried (forgetting their weird mail-order "cps changer" attempt)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I put the infinikey in all my cps2 games. There is a chap in ireland that sells them (video game perfection). Have been out of stock for a while though. The alternative is the chip from aje_fr or the new "openkey" from ack

You can always go back to battery later using Eduardo's method: http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com/2016/09/capcom-cps2-security-programming-guide.html

The

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh cool so an infinitykey basically replaces the battery and allows you to keep original roms running? Interesting, hadn't heard of that at all.

Master of the Universe

I find woody jamma cabinets dissipate fan sound thankfully but metal candy cabinets amplify it somewhat. You can actually hear the small fan in my miSTercade from outside my metal cabinets if you can believe it! CPS2 sounds mental.

Yeah I was always amazed Campcom never made a proper home console, CPS2 changer aside. Id say it would have looked lovely too, they really were on to something with the closed case PCB design of the cps 1.5 and 2 boards. Always had some of the best label artwork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I foresee a Noctua NF-A4x10 5V fan in your future Amazon cart :)

(to replace the generic one thats thrown into most MiSTer kits as a cooling fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

I was looking at invoices I still have and came across one for C&D in early 2012 and it was for 240gbp bargained down from 250gbp exchange rate was crappy back then as well !! and I remember at the time that being an ok price for cps dashes ..the 1st one I bought years before early 2000*'s was just over 100 and felt mental !! punisher always seems like it was 50quid more than C&D ,(Although it never did anything for me and i still think c&d is better :P) its a long time since ive seen any of those sell for anything under €500 and trend a lot higher really

I hate these multis in general but they are tempting ,I have the cps2 one and still rather throw the originals if i have them, they just havent been good for the scene at all really if you ask me.

Battery is preferred for most still I would guess but infinikey is a no brainer for having no maintenance and technically I believe you can go back to battery if you want from it. the problem is getting them as undamned hasn't been about last i checked.

On the fans just turn the volume up more !!!

Master of the Universe

Oh that never even occurred to me! will check it out, thanks!

• Advertisement

Just spotted this - NeoSD Pro MVS/AES pre-orders are open - 'just' $649.99 before shipping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Customs and shipping make those even more pricey. The last production run was supposed to be the last one ever, so nice to see option to purchase again. The value had skyrocketed over the last while, in keeping with all things Neo Geo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Inviere

Balls to that, I think a cheaper multi-cart is a more realistic option there is it?

The suggestion when you browse if that a 161-in-1 and some varient of the 50 or 60 in one will get you all the good titles (bar any reciently released). One game that I'd like thats not on the 161 cart is Nam-1975. I think its on one of the other mutli carts. Yes, they might not be the best thing in the world for a MVS/AES machine some suggest, but a whole lot cheaper :D

With the unibios pick 'n mix option, you can avoid the gaudy menu and hide the hacks and clones of the 161 in 1. You are still missing some of the catalog but you get most of the popular games.

The NeoSD flash loading is a bit of a downer though, improving that would make it a much better product.

For the 161, yup - as of today I now have two :) I've a small Adafruit Trinket Mini to hold the start button upon power on to auto enable Pick'nMix.

Doesn't work with all versions of the 161 and doesn't work with any other variations and the UniBIOS dev isn't developing it anymore :( but it's free so can't complain really.

On the older NeoSD, guess the PROMs are the limiting factor in loading up a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is there no way to modify those multicarts with reprogrammed chips?

I think it has been done with various levels of success. However, the cart simply doesn't support some games and even some on the original are buggy.

There was talk of an open sourced flash cart being considered by a group of guys in the NG community but nothing ever came of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Has anyone seen/tried out the LS-56 restrictor plate design that FrancoB has done up?

Great thread on them here where he's shared the 3D print design. They reduce the throw and reduce the dead zone.

Demo video of them here:

Master of the Universe

Seeing as my new PSU really seems to like arcade boards being thrown at it, I thought I'd rebuild my old setup with the six slot switcher and a spiders web of jamma extension harnesses.

Ibara and a 60 in 1 multi board in the two slots in the back.

Fits in with loads of space.

I used to actually have a Fixeight PCB in the back slot with these two games forward one slot but Fixeight is just a little bit too big to be standing on it's Jamma edge, was a bit concerned it might get damaged.

Mercs mounted into the top PCB holder slot with Raiden underneath

4 PCBs all wired up and ready to go

I've two slots left empty for now.

Slot 4 I'm keeping as 'neutral' with nothing in it. So I can switch to that slot and have no board being powered while messing about with the setup.

Slot 1 will then be another MiSTercade setup.

Once I get that MiSTercade in there'll be no need for the 60 in 1, so I might try to get my old GNet board into that slot.

On a side point, nice to see my Ibara PCB still works, havent powered it on in a couple of years!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You. Have. Ibara????

What?

That game is one of my all time favourites

Where do you live again, do you leave any windows open at night... asking for a friend

Master of the Universe

Yeah I bought it ten years ago when the arcade PCB was considerably cheaper than the PS2 port is now if you can believe it.

It's a great game isn't it? Been playing it lots the last few nights.

It's gas, I've a list of 10 high scores that I put on the scoreboard years ago and I can't get anywhere near them at the moment, totally out of practice!

More movement on that effort in the past day or so, now focusing on the V3 version of that cart which can be easily got from AliExpress. Good times, fingers crossed I can get NAM-1979 wedged into the cart and somehow keep Pick'n'Mix :D

Master of the Universe

I'm off to Japan a little later in the year and by chance I have just realised that one of my Tokyo hotel bookings is within a 20 minute walk of the Mikado game centre.

Further to this, on the day I'm booked to stay in that hotel, I'm at a complete loose end as my missus is off with her own plans doing some photography work. So I can literally spend the whole day in Mikado, unencumbered.

Wonder how long it would take me to play every single machine? Start at the entrance with a bag of yen and just make my way to every game, one floor at a time?😁

I am beyond excited to be honest. Always thought if I did make it to the place one day, it would be under a bit of duress time wise. This is going to be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dav09

Wow fair play, always been a dream of mine. There's apparently still 5000+ game centers/ arcades in japan which is nuts if you think about it.

How many machines, 100+? Whenever I go to the likes of Arcade Club I usually get through maybe 50ish machines over 5/6 hrs! Would probably need to be a multi day trip to get through them all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I may be off to Egypt in January, sadly not so much a gaming paradise but more likely a level in Metal Slug!

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's one of those once in a lifetime type trips I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. Have kept putting it off for years but decided I better head while all the arcades are still actually open!

Not a notion how many machines Mikado have but it's a hell of a lot. I'm just as interested in all the PCBs they have running too. Can't wait to spend a few hours with rows of shmups!

Very nice! I've been going on about wanting to go to Egypt for as long as I've been going on about wanting to go to Japan, absolutely amazing place. Some of the stuff they've been unearthing in Saqqara in recent years is incredible.

• Advertisement

After all the talk of batteries leaking, I've been thinking about my arcade systems. I took a look at the Sega Naomi2 board and sure enough, the supercapactor wasn't looking the best. Time to order up a replacement.

As she looked;

Yup, that doesn't look great underneeth;

Old supercap removed (negative tab took a lot of convincing, large ground plane around it), replaced and new CR2032 installed;

Hopefully good for a good while now. Took the time to reorganise the wiring around the system itself, cleaning up the Pi connection which runs the most awesome WiPiNetbooter.

Now need to order up button cell holders for the Neo Geo MVS boards and see to go with CR2032 or LiR2032.

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Advertisement