Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose I could buy Kerbdogs spare Naomi from him, no monitor though and only a 3 button, 2 player control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You could buy it and gut it. They're not 15k by standard, so if you threw a 15k monitor in there it'd be good to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, on second thoughts I'll just have to continue as I am.
    I just don't have the space and while the cold heart of She Who Must Be Obeyed has thawed somewhat on the subject of a cab I won't test the waters just yet.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just don't have the space and while the cold heart of She Who Must Be Obeyed has thawed somewhat on the subject of a cab I won't test the waters just yet.

why would you tease us like that?! :(

I want one, just have no where to put one, but I want one......
    It's a circular problem, 'round and 'round we go :(

I am laid down with consoles but have no console.
    Right now I have a G-Net, and MVS one slot and a Supergun.
    I'd love to mount (waaa-hey!) them in a cab and play them properly.

Someday.....
    Someday.....

• Advertisement

Bartop cabs are a very wife-friendly way of having a cab and not taking up a lot of space, and if you control your costs they're very cheap to build (meaning the minimum amount of cash-related guff from aforementioned wife) and easy enough to sell on for at least what they cost you to build.

It's also easier to get the missus to let you keep it around after youve had it for a bit and the kids and her have gotten hooked on puzzle bobble.

Nope, nopedy nope, no interest.
    Now, she lurves the ipad but doesn't play any games on it and if I slip a copy of Dodonpachi onto it I get met with abuse :(
    Puzzle Bobble has been tried and met with a raised eyebrow and a preference for watching reruns of embarrassing bodies on Channel 4.
    So, shriveled willies and frozen vaginas are more interesting than Bub and Bob busting some bubbles... no hope I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Let her play bejeweled on PC and don't make her nervous by looking over her shoulder or giving her hints for the first half hour or so .

Al girls dig that game, you'll see tongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Anyone know if the trisync monitors auto change between 15/24/31 kHz as the 161 in 1 cart doesnt look the best as far as i can tell?

Master of the Universe

They do auto sync alright. Apparantly some tri syncs don't look the best in 15k (the ones I've seen in person did look good though)

Got any pics?

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    They do auto sync alright. Apparantly some tri syncs don't look the best in 15k (the ones I've seen in person did look good though)

Got any pics?

I'll take some pics tonight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Do all tri-syncs auto switch though? Thought I read some don't, maybe that was dual-sync. If it auto-syncs you might hear a noticeable click when it goes from low to hi res or vice versa.

The scan lines seem to be about 1cm thick :)

Master of the Universe

Well that doesn't sound right!

If it's any consolation, I tried one of those multi boards on my cab a few weeks back and it didn't work. I got mad screen interferance and no controls.

Best to try out a real JAMMA board just to be sure.

Yeah some of the versions of metal slug didn't work right, none of the buttons worked when the game started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

safetyboy wrote: »
    Yeah some of the versions of metal slug didn't work right, none of the buttons worked when the game started.

Isn't that the 161 in 1 mvs cart in a 1 slot mvs?
    Should work fine, my one did.

Is it one of those yellow multi-cart MVS yokes? I have one along with a 1 slot mobo and they work fine from my experience. Or is it something else?

MAME 0.147 is out.
    http://mamedev.org/release.html

I'm gonna test it out later and see what's been fixed and what's been borked in this version (more bork than fix in the last few versions :().
    I just compiled it with CaveSH3, NoNag and HiScore support without issue so no problems there.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Isn't that the 161 in 1 mvs cart in a 1 slot mvs?
    Should work fine, my one did.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is it one of those yellow multi-cart MVS yokes? I have one along with a 1 slot mobo and they work fine from my experience. Or is it something else?

No I thik it's one of those multi carts that looks like an MVS cart (it's a bit smaller) and it has a JAMMA edge connector. My machine didn't like it at all. It's to do with some of the grounding pins on the board being used for button input instead. Totally screws it up!

If anyone should be downloading the latest MAME romset (0.147) and will be using it on a windows machine make sure to grab the 7zip version and not the zip.
    It saves a big chunk of storage space and of course bandwidth from downloading it (normal zip version= 42.54 GB and new 7zip version= 28.23 GB)

• Advertisement

The one I'm using is the MVS 161 in 1 cart in a unibios 3.0 1 slot if that helps. All other games i tested seemed OK just Metal slugs over 2 didn't fire or jump when the game started.

That would be my cart then :(
    I still haven't fixed it, it's a real drag to be honest but the presence of Progear on it encourages one to persevere!
    Going to pick up a cheap 4:3 monitor for the Ikea cab, a guy on done deal has 17 and 19 inch screens for small money.
    Which would be would be better would you say?
    What sort of specs does Hyperspin need to run well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I still haven't fixed it, it's a real drag to be honest but the presence of Progear on it encourages one to persevere!
    Going to pick up a cheap 4:3 monitor for the Ikea cab, a guy on done deal has 17 and 19 inch screens for small money.

19 would be preferable but 17 would so I reckon. Hyperspin specs are a thread unto themselves, suffice it to say it needs a bit of grunt to be fluid & make for a nice browsing experience

Steve SI wrote: »
    MAME 0.147 is out.
    http://mamedev.org/release.html

I'm gonna test it out later and see what's been fixed and what's been borked in this version (more bork than fix in the last few versions :().
    I just compiled it with CaveSH3, NoNag and HiScore support without issue so no problems there.

Are you going to share that compiled sweetness then my dear sir ?

I never get that stuff to work properly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ugh, Mame 'updates'. No thanks

I made a video ages ago of Hyperspin for someone who asked to see it running on a mid range system (I'd call it low range).
    It was a DELL Optiplex Ultra Small Form Factor system. It had been upgraded a bit with a 3GHZ dual core proc and 4GB of ram but that was it, still using integrated graphics and all that on Win 7 64bit.

I'll see if I can find it if you want to see it running on that kind of machine?

The one I'm using is the MVS 161 in 1 cart in a unibios 3.0 1 slot if that helps. All other games i tested seemed OK just Metal slugs over 2 didn't fire or jump when the game started.

But you still have the dodgy looking picture on all of the games I presume? Throw up some pics of the game image and the cart/setup etc when you get a chance. I'll test out my cart later but I don't recall any buttons not working when the game starts.

Pretty sure it's not the same cart, your one was jamma multi whereas the above is MVS. Defo no Progear on that unfort.

Casey120 wrote: »
    Are you going to share that compiled sweetness then my dear sir ?

I never get that stuff to work properly :(

I cant post it here as it's not allowed because I've included things not approved by the MAMEDEV team (Cave support etc).
    It's in the members download section of Retrovia though (my site, my rules and all that :))

Thanks Mate , I will check it out later when I'm home !

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not the same cart, your one was jamma multi whereas the above is MVS. Defo no Progear on that unfort.

Sorry I was referring to the cart O1s1n was speaking of. I let him have a bash at it and he got no where, he still found it unusable but for entirely different reasons to me!

The original owner assured me that it was the voltage from the psu that must have damaged the multi cart, however everything else works fine, just this multi cart, whose sole purpose in life seems to be to break retro gamers hearts :(

Advertisement