Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

280 for both?! **** that was as steal!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »
    280 for both?! **** that was as steal!

yeh i know! it was 300 but he gave me back 20 for petrol! sound guy.

Love the space invaders cocktail. One of those has been on my list for years...along with a bigger house to put it in.

Nice get!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jammy git, looking for a cocktail cab myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey guys,
    Anyone have any good sites for buying electronics parts like resistors, capacitors, toggle switches etc
    I could buy all separately from eBay but that's a pain.

Just looking for a few bits to possibly do a stereo mod on a mono mvs one slot board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hey guys,
    Anyone have any good sites for buying electronics parts like resistors, capacitors, toggle switches etc

Just looking for a few bits to possibly do a stereo mod on a mono mvs one slot board.

I do get a good bit from skpang. Quick delivery as well.
    http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

keithgeo wrote: »
    So here is what i got, picked them up tonight. Now .. They need a lot of work, which is cool because i like doing it.. and they are not everyone's cup o tea, also these photos are still pre-cleaning, they are filthy. But this first one is literally the first arcade game i ever played and ive always wanted one.

Space Invaders Cocktail Cab

2012-09-20-015.jpg

Also got this.. Moon Base Cocktail Cab

2012-09-20-018.jpg

As i said both need work, but i cant wait to get them done up. though i have to, until after the wedding because ill be killed if i buy anything else!

Don't respray any of the metal work just have them sand blasted and powder coated, it's not that expensive and will look great.

purplec wrote: »
    Don't respray any of the metal work just have them sand blasted and powder coated, it's not that expensive and will look great.

Ive been trying to find a place that does that, ive never had it done before. did you get anything like that done yourself? do you know anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you know anyone who goes to NCAD in Dublin? There's a sand blaster in the glass blowing workshop. Great fun to use so it is!

unfortunately not, would love to give it a go.. i seen a cheap looking sandblaster in lidl a while back.. probably useless though.

• Advertisement

A nice Cave theme for all you Hyperspinners made by a guy over on the Hyperspin forums.
    Available on the Hyperspin ftp account and the vids on the emumovies ftp. This vid was captured from my test Hyperspin that runs on my main PC and it looks way nicer on the arcade screen as you really need those scanlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

unfortunately not, would love to give it a go.. i seen a cheap looking sandblaster in lidl a while back.. probably useless though.

Great looking cabs Keith, they are some lovely gets.
    They are so cool, everyone who comes into my place loves the Taito Cocktail cab the most,
    there's just something about them. Great for vertical games like Space Invaders, Pacman, 1943...

I got mine sandblasted locally, its dead easy to remove legs and
    For 50e, got them sandblasted and power coated them.
    Photo0235.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I do get a good bit from skpang. Quick delivery as well.
    http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/index.php

Thanks Steve. That site doesn't seem to have the breadth of stock I'm looking for. Thanks anyway though

A nice Cave theme for all you Hyperspinners made by a guy over on the Hyperspin forums.
    Available on the Hyperspin ftp account and the vids on the emumovies ftp. This vid was captured from my test Hyperspin that runs on my main PC and it looks way nicer on the arcade screen as you really need those scanlines.

Savage!

Pardon my ignorance but is there a specific cave emulator and roms or foes hyperspin just link back to Mame and its roms?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Thanks Steve. That site doesn't seem to have the breadth of stock I'm looking for. Thanks anyway though

Try radionics in Rialto http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/

kevin2me wrote: »
    They are so cool, everyone who comes into my place loves the Taito Cocktail cab the most,
    there's just something about them. Great for vertical games like Space Invaders, Pacman, 1943...

Did you get the legs powder coated? Do they just coat them a silver colour? The coin mech on yours, did you buy a new one of get that cleaned too?

Was the new glass expensive?

I have a lot of questions for you! haha..

I had a good look at these last night, gave them an initial hoovering for dust ;) . Both are getting power, the tube on the screen of the moonbase one is broken off. its in the bottom of the cab! haha

The other powers on, but nothing on screen, I checked the fuses and one was gone. replaced it with one of the fuses from the moonbase one and got smoke from the chassis and the fuse went again. so the lopt is probably gone on the chassis and prob needs the caps done aswell. Ill prob end up having to mame the moonbase one. Im restoring the other space invaders one back to original, i dont care how much it costs me. It was the first cab i ever played and always wanted one!

Savage!

Pardon my ignorance but is there a specific cave emulator and roms or foes hyperspin just link back to Mame and its roms?

You'll need a version of MAME that's been compiled from the source code to re-support the Cave roms.
    Then you just create a new system wheel in Hyperpspin and create a Cave xml file by copying the main MAME xml and renaming to Cave.xml, point the .exe to your MAME .exe and the roms to your MAME romset (which you'll need to have added the missing Cave roms back in) and then just change the wheel settings to only show games with a wheel theme.
    Then grab the files from the Hyperspin ftp and the vids from the emumovies ftp and your all set.

Thanks for that Steve. One last thing. I do have a premium hyperspin account and ftp access but for the life of me I cannot locate the Cave themes. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for that Steve. One last thing. I do have a premium hyperspin account and ftp access but for the life of me I cannot locate the Cave themes. Can you point me in the right direction?

Not sure as I was just grabbing bits and pieces from all over the place.

I'm looking into activating scan lines on my mame setup in my cab, but it's the first time I've done it since it was changed to use scan line graphics in the newer versions instead of built in effects.

Does anybody know of a good step by step guide to how to get it working? I've tried once without success but I'm not sure if I had the right scanlines image.

Also does anybody have any experience of whether using the same static image eventually causes burn in on a TFT monitor? I'd like to avoid that as I use other console emulators in the same cab.

• Advertisement

I'm looking into activating scan lines on my mame setup in my cab, but it's the first time I've done it since it was changed to use scan line graphics in the newer versions instead of built in effects.

Does anybody know of a good step by step guide to how to get it working? I've tried once without success but I'm not sure if I had the right scanlines image.

Also does anybody have any experience of whether using the same static image eventually causes burn in on a TFT monitor? I'd like to avoid that as I use other console emulators in the same cab.

Edit the mame.ini file and make sure scanlines are enabled in the below section.
    #
    # CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
    #
    brightness                1.0
    contrast                  1.0
    gamma                     1.0
    pause_brightness          0.65
    effect                    scanlines

You'll also need to have some scanline artwork (in the artwork folder). I've tried all the defaults and other scanline files but ended up creating a very simple version that works very well for me on most LCD screens. I've attached them here in case you want to give them a try.
    Make sure to change the mame.ini to the below setting if you want to use the rotated scanlines.
    #
    # CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
    #
    effect                    scanlines-rotated

As for the burn-in, it shouldn't be much of an issue with the scanlines on an LCD. I've used them for many years on LCD's before I moved onto a real arcade machine and monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

kevin2me wrote: »

Photo0235.jpg

Ahh your the one that owns that.
    It came to mind when I saw Keithgeo's one.
    I love the mirror finish on it.Great job man

Edit the mame.ini file and make sure scanlines are enabled in the below section.
    #
    # CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
    #
    effect                    scanlines

Many thanks, I'll try that this evening. What's the exact syntax I need to use in the .ini file to set the "effect" parameter to scan lines?

Many thanks, I'll try that this evening. What's the exact syntax I need to use in the .ini file to set the "effect" parameter to scan lines?

OK Steve, i just looked at your post on a PC and realized how dumb i made myself look with my last post. The code appeared completely differently on my phone than it did when i saw it just now on a proper computer. None of the parameter lines are displayed on the mobile version on my phone, hence me asking my stupid question.

Stoopid iOS/boards mobile interface....:mad:

Thank you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right I have a bit of a problem with a stick on my Naomi.

It only works when I move to the left and nowhere else, but if i move to the left and then down or up the up and down registers then. Anyone have a clue what could be up with this? No other problems with any other buttons

Its my 2nd player stick so I can still play away but its annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It only works when I move to the left and nowhere else, but if i move to the left and then down or up the up and down registers then. Anyone have a clue what could be up with this? No other problems with any other buttons

Some type of grounding issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Mabye, a ground wire not connected to the cab properly?

was just gonna post, sounds like you've got a break in your ground somewhere that's cutting off some of your switches.

Is your stick wired with individual daisychained switches or is it a PCB with a loom running a ground line into it?

Did it get moved or get a bump or a scratch or anything lately that might have done it some damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Did you get the legs powder coated? Do they just coat them a silver colour?
    The coin mech on yours, did you buy a new one of get that cleaned too? Was the new glass expensive?
    Hey Keith, no worries, ask away, or PM away if need anything on it,
    I finally bought proper camera, must take so better pics and make few videos someday soon.
    Here what it was like b4
    Photo0173.jpg

I would have loved to have Chrome'd the legs silver but cost a lot more.
    So all I did was had it sandblasted and Power coated, not sure if he sprayed it after I think just a plane grey\silver paint but not chrome.
    Did it all for 50e, took him few weeks b4 I got it back. He had bigger jobs like whole tractors to finish :)

Glass Top was expensive, 120e. But Cocktail was in bits, I had no glass it was in 1000 pieces,
    new Mirror’d Top helped me hide beat up wooden Top I had and didn’t need to make new top.

I painted the 4 Corners Pieces, the 4 glass corner pieces too and Coin mech myself.
    I also bought replacement for Mech Mech, but never bothered using it.

Lastly for the screen, I de-cased old 14inch Monitor I had, and bolts matched up perfectly to what was there before :)
    I think, now not sure now, but I think I might have the original screen if you like it. And I kept the looms too.
    Ahh your the one that owns that.
    It came to mind when I saw Keithgeo's one.
    I love the mirror finish on it.Great job man

Thanks Buddy, my last secret on this, that new Control panel I put on it.
    It was a Kitchen Dinner Mat I chopped up and give it nice leather feel :) haha If MacGyver did Cab restores :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

First thing to do is to swap the connectors over, swap P1 to P2 and see if the faults follow.

Advertisement