Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I see Ronnie (rklok) has a Capcom mini cute for sale if anyone interested. Ain't cheap though. 1475 plus 195 for shipping. MVS mobo not included either.

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Holy crap, do want!

CANNOT.JUSTIFY.PRICE

:(

Cab looks a bit rusty as well so would need restoration

Master of the Universe

I wouldn't touch that to be honest. Just a few little knocks, all candy cabs have them. Think of them as service scars :D

I think the colour of the Capcom sign down the side makes it look dirtier than it actually is.

One thing I'm really not into with candy cabs is respray jobs. There's something really nice about having the original factory paint.

Absolutely knackared damaged ones are different.

Nothing wrong with giving them a bit of a buff and a shine though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch that to be honest. Just a few little knocks, all candy cabs have them. Think of them as service scars :D

I think the colour of the Capcom sign down the side makes it look dirtier than it actually is.

One thing I'm really not into with candy cabs is respray jobs. There's something really nice about having the original factory paint.

Absolutely knackared damaged ones are different.

Nothing wrong with giving them a bit of a buff and a shine though :)

I was planning on getting my Egret 3 resprayed and made nice and minty.
    But after living with it for a good while I now actually really like the fact it has the original paint job and a few minor marks here and there from having thousands of Japanese dudes playing who knows what games on it since 2003.
    But my cab isnt in a bad way and if it was in bits I'd definitely go the respray root.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was planning on getting my Egret 3 resprayed and made nice and minty.
    But after living with it for a good while I now actually really like the fact it has the original paint job and a few minor marks here and there from having thousands of Japanese dudes playing who knows what games on it since 2003.
    But my cab isnt in a bad way and if it was in bits I'd definitely go the respray root.

That's exactly it! I like looking at the knocks and the worn spots and think of the Japanese masters who sat at it over the years :)

That's exactly it! I like looking at the knocks and the worn spots and think of the Japanese masters who sat at it over the years :)

I think every candy cab (and arcade machine in general i guess) that's been in proper use in an arcade should have a special log book or some way of the owner/operator to say which games were running on it and when and where.
    Something that wouldn't break or tear over the years. Unrealistic I know but how cool would it be to know your candy was playing Do Donpachi for most of 1997/98 and then moved on to the latest fighter for the next year or two and to know which arcade it was in would be something special.

Master of the Universe

Now that would be something alright!

Then again, what if you got your lovely (somwhat stained) cab, were all delighted, only to open up the service book and find out it had been used for MahJong Hentai games for a decade :D

The closest to that I've seen is the backup memory MVS mobos have- they retain the info of the last number of carts inserted in the dip settings.

So you'll at least know what Neo Geo games were in a cab if an MVS mobo comes with it.

I always keep my Blazing Star cart in rotation on a a regular basis. If you don't, and put (I think 5-10) other MVS carts in, it'll have vanished from the dip memory (and there go all your scores)

Same with blood in Metal Slug! (possibly the worst decision any videogame developer has ever made - you should have to turn censorship on, not off!!)

Now that would be something alright!

Then again, what if you got your lovely (somwhat stained) cab, were all delighted, only to open up the service book and find out it had been used for MahJong Hentai games for a decade :D

The closest to that I've seen is the backup memory MVS mobos have- they retain the info of the last number of carts inserted in the dip settings.

So you'll at least know what Neo Geo games were in a cab if an MVS mobo comes with it.

I always keep my Blazing Star cart in rotation on a a regular basis. If you don't, and put (I think 5-10) other MVS carts in, it'll have vanished from the dip memory (and there go all your scores)

Same with blood in Metal Slug! (possibly the worst decision any videogame developer has ever made - you should have to turn censorship on, not off!!)

I guess I'd offer it up for sale to Retr0 :D

We could go for joint custody of the capcom cute. I'll have it at weekends. You boys can fight it out for the other days in a retro beat em up battle royale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Cab looks a bit rusty as well so would need restoration

Mine didn't look mint when it arrived but a little polishing goes a long way , most of the damage are usually dirt stains and scratches you can polish away .

Price is out of this world though , it's double what I paid just 3 years ago :eek:

Ronnie is some operator alright. From what I can see he is just importing the cabs, testing them and selling them on for fat profit.

Don't think he does anything with them apart from taking the risk bulk buying them from Japan.

All least Jeff cleans them up, replaces buttons, corrects monitors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ronnie is some operator alright. From what I can see he is just importing the cabs, testing them and selling them on for fat profit.

Don't think he does anything with them apart from taking the risk bulk buying them from Japan.

All least Jeff cleans them up, replaces buttons, corrects monitors etc

Well, the cab I got for work from Jeff wasn't that clean, I needed to replace the stick and inside it needs a real deep clean. In saying that he did install a 220V transformer (I think its from a Naomi Uni cab) so that saved me a little hassle.

Guys, Ronnie also has an atomiswave for sale that isn't advertised yet. 695 but doesn't have a coin mech or transformer. I queried a bit and got him t. Include both at same price.
    Shipping at 195.
    Any takers.

I would go for it myself but have agreed in principle to take one from Jeff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

This looks good, another king of kong\chasing ghosts style documentary.. looks similar anyways with a few of the same faces..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seantiedeman/the-king-of-arcades?ref=live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Guys, Ronnie also has an atomiswave for sale that isn't advertised yet. 695 but doesn't have a coin mech or transformer. I queried a bit and got him t. Include both at same price.
    Shipping at 195.
    Any takers.

If your emailing Jeff, can you ask him where my JAMMA edge connectors & fingerboards are which I ordered at the same time as the cab I've already received? He isn't responding to my emails nor eBay messages. Isn't looking good for customer service so far from Jeff :(

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Shipping at 195.
    Any takers.

If your emailing Jeff, can you ask him where my JAMMA edge connectors & fingerboards are which I ordered at the same time as the cab I've already received? He isn't responding to my emails nor eBay messages. Isn't looking good for customer service so far from Jeff :(

Ive been trying to contact him all week no response. Finasly got a reply yesterday evening. Death in the family so he only back in the office.

But yeah, his customer service isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Took about a month for Jeff to answer anything from me

Master of the Universe

I'm still waiting for answers to emails I sent him in January :(

Have always heard it's just better picking up a phone and giving him a ring.

Master of the Universe

Capcom mini cute sold! The world is full of mentallers with too much money who end up setting a price point for future ones. Good luck to anyone ever getting one for less than that.

• Advertisement

The other thing with Jeff is that he seems to prioritise the development of his Mame joysticks ahead of the cab sales.

Capcom mini cute sold! The world is full of mentallers with too much money who end up setting a price point for future ones. Good luck to anyone ever getting one for less than that.

Mentallers is the word although the cutes are highly sought after so I'd say there are plenty of cash ready collectors waiting to pounce

I was tempted but the fact it was Ronnie selling helped my decision.

Quick one out there for you.

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/product_info.php?products_id=15

will the sync strike convert scart to vga and let me play the rest of my consoles on the NNC?

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was tempted but the fact it was Ronnie selling helped my decision.

You had a bad experience with the ronster steve?

I found Ronnie very helpful until he got paid..

safetyboy wrote: »

You can't leave us hanging on that safety! Digress.......

You had a bad experience with the ronster steve?

Yep, lots.
    safetyboy wrote: »

Yeah, his after care is awful if you have any problems.

So I've been looking for some options to light up the artwork that goes in the marquee holder for some time.
    Now I've tried lots of LED solutions and I haven't been particularly happy with how any of them have turned out. I've tried top and bottom lighting it and also a fairly complicated way of using LEDs to backlight the artwork.
    Anyway, all have not been up to standard so i did a bit of research and came across a solution that should work very well indeed. The only problem is it is a bit pricey for just lighting up the artwork but I'm gonna give it a go.
    I've ordered an A4 EL pure white panel that is .4mm in thickness to go right in the artwork holder and it should be bright enough to illuminate the whole thing.

It will sit in the marquee holder on top of the cab and I'll figure something out to hide the thin power cable it uses.
    dsc2872b.jpg

It's something like this.

So, if it turns out its not powerful enough to light through the artwork I'm sure I'll find some other use for it.
    Might be something I could use when photographing things in macro mode maybe.

Anyway, I'll post an update when it arrives and I get a chance to test it out in case anyone might be interested in doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I use a led stick on 3 eneloop AAA batteries shining on the front of the marquee on both cabs .
    Works well and the batteries live about a month , a permanent powered solution would be better though .

DSCF3808.jpg

Advertisement