Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, I tried a similar setup but just wasn't happy with it (too much light leaking out the back onto the wall).
    I'll see how this El sheet works out, might be perfect, might be crap :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That reminds me, I really need to get a bulb and a starter thingy.

Anyone know if you can pick them up in Peats or Maplin?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »
    That reminds me, I really need to get a bulb and a starter thingy.

Anyone know if you can pick them up in Peats or Maplin?

I got a starter and bulb in a local diy store, much cheaper than any of the peats\maplins\b&q places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I got bulb for astro in home base for a fiver.
    450mm ..15w

Is there a modern equivalent to these bulbs? Like say an LED strip that plugs into the same bulb socket or some other green energy saver type bulb?
    It's just as the years go by its going to be harder to replace these things. I know you could put some LEDs in there and power them some other way but a direct replacement that just slots in would be perfect.

• Advertisement

Anybody know of a decent USB cold cathode or strip light option for lighting up a marquee?

I might be tempted to put one into my hyperspin cab if I can get one that's the right size and doesn't break the bank, but I need it to be powered off the PC's ports.

Anybody know of a decent USB cold cathode or strip light option for lighting up a marquee?

I might be tempted to put one into my hyperspin cab if I can get one that's the right size and doesn't break the bank, but I need it to be powered off the PC's ports.

I use these type of cold cathod on pc mods (and also the smaller versions).
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-011-GE&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=1430

You can get them in white as well but they aren't USB powered, they use an internal power connection from the PC. They come with an adapter i think so you can use a molex or more modern power cable.
    I'm not sure they would give off enough light to do a good job on the marquee. I'm only using the UV versions at the moment so they wouldn't be any good to you.

I might have a spare one but as you can see in the below pic they really dont give off the light you'll be needing. Maybe the pure white versions?

dsc1780z.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    I use these type of cold cathod on pc mods (and also the smaller versions)....I might have a spare one but as you can see in the below pic they really dont give off the light you'll be needing. Maybe the pure white versions?

Hmm. Maybe. Thanks. I'll check the white ones out, although I already have a bunch of drives and 4 fans running off the power cable so I'm hesitant to run too much more stuff off it in case it causes issues with the supply to the HDD.

I suppose it's all coming off the same power supply though. Would it be likely to make any difference whether I use a USB for power or not?

Hmm. Maybe. Thanks. I'll check the white ones out, although I already have a bunch of drives and 4 fans running off the power cable so I'm hesitant to run too much more stuff off it in case it causes issues with the supply to the HDD.

I suppose it's all coming off the same power supply though. Would it be likely to make any difference whether I use a USB for power or not?

It shouldn't add that much pressure on the PSU as they're really Low power. You're nearly always bettor off using the internal power than USB with these sorts of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    If your emailing Jeff, can you ask him where my JAMMA edge connectors & fingerboards are which I ordered at the same time as the cab I've already received? He isn't responding to my emails nor eBay messages. Isn't looking good for customer service so far from Jeff :(

Just had a reply from Jeff today;
    Hi there - apologies I have been uncontactable due to a family death - funeral today and will be back up and running Tuesday morning.

Will stick your parts in air mail on Tuesday.

If anyone else is trying to reach me on the boards then please just let them know.

So that clears that up then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Got a similar reply today myself. Hopefully that means closing out on a piece of candy by the weeks end!

Hey guys, I know this site has been mentioned before emphatic.se.

Has anyone got any of the instructions sheets printed out (either by themselves or a professional printers) to an authentic standard or high quality.

I.e. not printed on to standard ream paper with a 30 home euro printer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Has anyone got any of the instructions sheets printed out (either by themselves or a professional printers) to an authentic standard or high quality.

I'm getting some printed at the moment, hopefully have them this week, I will let you know how the turn out.

I printed this artwork out from that site on my printer at home. It's a decent printer but still A4 so I needed to use a ruler and sharp thin blade to cut it out.

Click pics for full size:
    dsc2864j.jpg

dsc2858a.jpg

It's not as good as getting it done professionally but it still looks decent I think.

safetyboy wrote: »

I'm getting some printed at the moment, hopefully have them this week, I will let you know how the turn out.

Nice one safety. Share some pics when sorted. Did you have to crop or resize the images?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I have a Canon A3+ printer that does the job perfectly .

Original CAVE VS Emph translated on A3+ glossy sticker sheet .

DSCF4972.jpg

I printed this artwork out from that site on my printer at home. It's a decent printer but still A4 so I needed to use a ruler and sharp thin blade to cut it out.

[SIZE="1"]Click pics for full size:[/SIZE]
    dsc2864j.jpg

dsc2858a.jpg

It's not as good as getting it done professionally but it still looks decent I think.

That does look good Steve. I imagine the plastic cover makes the paper look more glossy, professional finish.

That does look good Steve. I imagine the plastic cover makes the paper look more glossy, professional finish.

Well its tempered glass that covers it and it was printed on high quality photo paper so it looks decent even without the cover (except its in two parts).

Is/was there ever such a thing as a generic candy cabinet that has the monitor rotated permanently upright for vertical shmups? Can't be rotated horizontally.
    Or is it just the case of using egrets etc and rotating them?

Well its tempered glass that covers it

Correct. My bad.

• Advertisement

What is the best way of getting 640x480 60hz on windows 7 or is it possible. I'm using a Lenovo N500 laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What is the best way of getting 640x480 60hz on windows 7 or is it possible. I'm using a Lenovo N500 laptop.

Powerstrip & Quickres?

I think powerstrip is paid for, & I could never get powerstrip to work though & ended up abandoning it so you might wanna 'try before you buy' ;)

I've tried powerstrip but it doesn't seem to work, I will try quickres. Dying to get a bit of mame action in the cab. :)

I've tried powerstrip but it doesn't seem to work, I will try quickres. Dying to get a bit of mame action in the cab. :)

Do you use the laptop as a laptop too, or is it just the heart of a cab? You might consider moving to XP x54, Soft15Khz works an absolute treat.

Quickres will only work in conjunction with powerstrip to get 640x480 on Win 7 - I think!

Just tried quickres on the work PC and it works fine, I will try when I get home, will it put 640x480 out of the vga on the laptop? I dont want to blow the trisync monitor.

Just tried quickres on the work PC and it works fine, I will try when I get home, will it put 640x480 out of the vga on the laptop? I dont want to blow the trisync monitor.

It should put out 640x480, but on its own I think that'll still be a 31Khz signal. I'm really not too sure, as I said, I abandoned research on it & moved to XP x64.

If you have a tri-sync, why bother trying to get 15Khz out of the laptop...surely you can just plug the vga out of the lappy into the vga in of the screen & use away no?

EnterNow wrote: »
    It should put out 640x480, but on its own I think that'll still be a 31Khz signal. I'm really not too sure, as I said, I abandoned research on it & moved to XP x64.

If you have a tri-sync, why bother trying to get 15Khz out of the laptop...surely you can just plug the vga out of the lappy into the vga in of the screen & use away no?

Not sure what I am at TBH :) not sure what is output on the VGA of the laptop.

I bought the JVS-PAC and the guy said "The resolution can't be any higher than 640x480@60hz - that is the max the trisync can do, any higher and you will stress the transistors in the monitor chassis."

http://jvspac.kirurg.org/

To my knowledge, set Quickres to output 640x480 & it should be fine. Wait for confirmation on that though, I only have 15Khz screens & no next to nowt about 31Khz ones

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@safetyboy: Yes the VGA cable will happily output 640x480 from your laptop or PC. I have QuickRes on my mame PC and actually have it outputting a lower resolution than that to get a 15kHz picture (might be 320x200, can't remember the exact res) - via VGA cable. Most Mame games are 15kHz so I prefer that as my default setting, they look better imo.

As you mention, just make sure your Quick Res setting is not more than 640 x 480 and you'll be fine.

This a handy reminder re: resolutions. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Vector_Video_Standards4.svg&page=1

• Advertisement

Its working, yay.. cheers lads.

The VGA was giving out 800*600 and the laptop screen was turning off, thats why i didn't cop it

Advertisement