Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone checked these sticks out yet?
    http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

servostik_base.jpg

The switch from 8 way to 4 way is servo controlled so the press of a button and it does it.
    The really interesting part is it can also be software controlled and has a full API that could be used to integrate it into a frontend like hyperspin(quite easily in fact). So it could switch the joystick from 8 way to 4 way when you load a game in MAME that uses a 4 way stick and vice versa.

Now, if we could just get this working on some Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks we'd be laughing.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone checked these sticks out yet?.....if we could just get this working on some Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks we'd be laughing.

I thought the exact same thing when i saw those recently on the ultimarc site. Very cool.

I have no excuse to invest in these at the moment, but I'll watch the forums with interest to see if anyone gives any feedback for them. Running them via API to automatically switch on selection of a 4 or 8 way game in a frontend would be excellent. I wonder if there's any kind of functionality built in to the servo to give you the option of having a "mode" indicator on your cab or control panel. Something like a couple of LED pinouts you could wire to LEDs on your panel to let you know whether you were on 4 way or 8 way mode?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Would you not be able to tell just by rotating the stick?

It'd be easy enough to have an LED power up to indicate 4way or 8way but as Andrew said you could easily tell by just moving the stick.
    I had a look at some sample code a few guys did up for this stick on the Hyperspin forums last night and it really would be easy to have it change with each game. Of course the only problem is the stick itself, is it any good (probably not when compared to a nice Sanwa or Seimitsu).

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Would you not be able to tell just by rotating the stick?

Yeah, you'd be able to tell just by rotating the stick. Of course you would. You just wouldn't get any cool points for doing it that way. LED's and fancy little unnecessary finishing touches are way more awesome biggrin.png

By the way, it looks like that stick is designed for PC connection only (ie mame cabs running a PC with emulators and USBs rather than actual jamma cabs running one of a collection of oldschool PCBs). From reading the blurb on it, the hardware mode on it looks like it needs a "chop off the USB plug and rewire it manually" type solution. It would have been nice if the servo was available out of the box with an adaptor that drew it's power from a jamma connector or somewhere other than a USB port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah, you'd be able to tell just by rotating the stick. Of course you would. You just wouldn't get any cool points for doing it that way. LED's and fancy little unnecessary finishing touches are way more awesome

I dunno, it's very easy to make a cab look tacky with unnecessary lights. Less is more when it comes to cabs

EnterNow wrote: »
    I dunno, it's very easy to make a cab look tacky with unnecessary lights. Less is more when it comes to cabs

Yeah, that's probably true, i like to keep things simple too. There's nothing uglier to me on a cab than a busy, overcomplicated control panel. Less is definitely more on cabs, and keeping things classic is always a good way to go. Good point.

I suppose being able to do all this stuff is one thing, but having the good sense to know when not to is entirely another :D

I suppose being able to do all this stuff is one thing, but having the good sense to know when not to is entirely another :D

Spot on dude

If your cab/arcade setup ever ends up on this thread then you know you've gone too far. :pac:

Great thread for giving yourself a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Ronnie shipping out some nice cabs today

shippingout.jpg

• Advertisement

Whats that little silver one? Looks weird, in a cool kinda way

Whats that little silver one? Looks weird, in a cool kinda way

Looks like one of the Jaleco Pony Mark cabs: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/List_of_Candy_Cabinets

Looks brilliant.

Looks like one of the Jaleco Pony Mark cabs: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/List_of_Candy_Cabinets

Looks brilliant.

Aye it does indeed. I think it looks deadly, something different too :)

Aye it does indeed. I think it looks deadly, something different too :)

Looks like a Pony 3.

Yeah its a nice cab alright..

tumblr_lm9za7zfox1qc8b0ao1_500.jpg

:)

Yeah I love those cabs. Looks kinda like a mix between a cocktail cab and a washing machine :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really love those Jaleco Pony cabs. Didn't when I first saw them, but now they've grown on me to a point of serious wantage. The screen angle looks class. Plus I love those dark colours they come in.

Someone was selling one recently on AO for mad cheap like £400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Same here..hated them at first but now I love em.
    Just a quality design and something different to normal candies.
    What did ronaldinio let it go for in the end?

Master of the Universe

No idea how much that one went for, here's the one I was talking about on AO. I think he said there was a bit of burn on the monitor or something, but still a steal at that price.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21578

I love the grid design on the CP. Really reminds me of old Megadrive box art.

Yeah the CP is lovely, love the look of the coin slot too.

Here's a trio together. :cool:

P1000518.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

So I thought I'd check out this JAMMA+ lark. (!)

Entered all the arcade games I have into their system. Got quite a shock when I saw the figure! Didn't realize it was so many seeing as a lot of them are in storage.

Capture-11.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »

Entered all the arcade games I have into their system. Got quite a shock when I saw the figure! Didn't realize it was so many seeing as a lot of them are in storage.

Capture-11.jpg

Joined up myself, just incase like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Capture-11.jpg

Just had a root through your collection there. Some great stuff.

Lot in storage eh? Interested in selling any ;-)

I really love those Jaleco Pony cabs. Didn't when I first saw them, but now they've grown on me to a point of serious wantage. The screen angle looks class. Plus I love those dark colours they come in.

Ronnie is selling for €1200 :eek:

safetyboy wrote: »

Ronnie is selling for €1200 :eek:

Anyone able to reckon price what Ronnie is buying and importing the cabs for? Price to arrive at his door prior to any of his testing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

The cab ronnie sold was Jaleco Pony MK2 , a more rare 19" cab like the Cute and SNK 19 these are much more expensive .

The Cab sold on A.O. was a MK3 25" , missing the light box on top, no back panel, had a re paint and a less than perfect monitor , still a steal for that € 500,-.

Nice collection o1s1n. Must add MVS to my list aswell, only have a couple though.

Master of the Universe

Joined up myself, just incase like :D

You never know with all the abuse being thrown around these parts lately :pac:
    Just had a root through your collection there. Some great stuff.

Lot in storage eh? Interested in selling any ;-)

I'm considering it. I have a few vertical boards and don't have the means to play them at the moment. I do find it very hard to let stuff go though!

Also got a rake of Street Fighter boards from Enternow last year which don't get the love they deserve. Would be more interested in trading for them than selling though.
    Anyone able to reckon price what Ronnie is buying and importing the cabs for? Price to arrive at his door prior to any of his testing etc.

I tell you what, if you could find a source in Japan for smaller cabs like the capcom mini cute, Neo 19s and those Ponys you'd be minted. Not only do they sell for more, the shipping would be less as they're lighter.
    Nice collection o1s1n. Must add MVS to my list aswell, only have a couple though.

I did the unthinkable - I forgot to include Raiden II! :eek:

That's just unforgivable.

If you ever did decide to offload a street fighter PCB give me a shout. I could only do cold hard cash though, no trades!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

If you have a SF2 Champions edition board give me a shout, I have a Champions edition hyper fighting in my cab at the minute, but its annoying me that the artwork is for normal champions edition and the game isnt!

Ive been trying to find one for a few weeks.

Advertisement