Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I have a few vertical boards and don't have the means to play them at the moment.

Is that Mercs & Raiden II or do you have others? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    If you have a SF2 Champions edition board give me a shout, I have a Champions edition hyper fighting in my cab at the minute, but its annoying me that the artwork is for normal champions edition and the game isnt!

Ive been trying to find one for a few weeks.

He does, it used to be mine. Original Capcom Champion Edition. A thing of beauty that game is, weirdly, prob my favourite in terms of impact it had on me in the arcades

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cool, great game alright, i wont be happy until i have normal standard champions edition the cab, hyperfighting is grand but id prefer to have the normal one in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is that Mercs & Raiden II or do you have others? :)

I also have Game Tengoku: The Game Paradise. The game cart and the mobo for it.

Am a bit stuck as to whether to sell it on or keep it for when I get a vertical cab in the distant future.

Master of the Universe

If you have a SF2 Champions edition board give me a shout, I have a Champions edition hyper fighting in my cab at the minute, but its annoying me that the artwork is for normal champions edition and the game isnt!

Ive been trying to find one for a few weeks.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    He does, it used to be mine. Original Capcom Champion Edition. A thing of beauty that game is, weirdly, prob my favourite in terms of impact it had on me in the arcades

Enternow - you know more about the games I have than I do myself :D

I think that's the one SF board I have which is in my house and not off in that Aladdin's cave of storage with my other gear.

Will have a look over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Enternow - you know more about the games I have than I do myself :D

It has a little green id tag hanging from it, the one with the orange tag is HF & the one with no tag is normal SF2 I think :D

It has a little green id tag hanging from it, the one with the orange tag is HF & the one with no tag is normal SF2 I think :D

haha you never forget what your children look like..

haha you never forget what your children look like..

Was such a big deal for me, owning the pcb's I used to revere so much :cool:

I have a Champions edition hyper fighting in my cab at the minute, but its annoying me that the artwork is for normal champions edition and the game isnt!

Hyper fighting was actually an official hack of the champion edition board, developed by capcom USA to combat the wave of hacked unofficial boards that were released with mad unbalanced stuff in them (multiple fireballs, character switching etc, the "rainbow" editions). The story of it all and what was happening to the street fighter/fighting game franchise in the early 90's CPS1 and CPS2 days is actually a really fascinating bit of gaming history (well to me anyways), but in short, it was rushed together quickly, and ended up being one of their biggest ever commercial successes.

If i was you I'd keep the hyper fighting PCB in the cab and go in search of the right artwork for it instead. Hyper fighting is easily the best of the CPS1 boards and miles more balanced than arguably any other street fighter 2 game. It's probably my all time fave SF game, along with super turbo. Champion edition on the other hand was just a broken m.bison scissor infinites and psycho crusher chip damage fest. He really was stupidly overpowered in that version.

I had one of those bootleg boards, with double fireballs etc, sold it about a month back. Hyper fighting is grand, ive been playing it a lot in the cab, but its not MY street fighter if you know what i mean thats world warrior and champions edition, they are the ones i played the most in the arcade.

I have a capcom Street fighter 3 alpha as well, it came with the cab when i got it. Ive only plugged it in once, think i need a cps3 kick harness or something to play it properly.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hahahaha, spot on. Remind me to check later to make sure you're not living under the bed with all the arcade boards :D
    I have a capcom Street fighter 3 alpha as well, it came with the cab when i got it. Ive only plugged it in once, think i need a cps3 kick harness or something to play it properly.

Alpha for CE edition, straight swap! Sounds like a deal!

>_>

<_<

I can't quite remember, but I think I may only have one working CPS1A board and 3 or so game B boards.

I have SF2 CE - (came with a working A board)
    SF2 standard (A board is dodgy and glitching sprites)
    Mercs (Just the B board)

So I think I have Mercs on the A board at the moment. Do you have a working A board yourself? I wonder would the Hyper Fighting B board pop off and you could put the CE on instead?

Hahahaha, spot on. Remind me to check later to make sure you're not living under the bed with all the arcade boards :D

Alpha for CE edition, straight swap! Sounds like a deal!

>_>

<_<

I can't quite remember, but I think I may only have one working CPS1A board and 3 or so game B boards.

I have SF2 CE - (came with a working A board)
    SF2 standard (A board is dodgy and glitching sprites)
    Mercs (Just the B board)

So I think I have Mercs on the A board at the moment. Do you have a working A board yourself? I wonder would the Hyper Fighting B board pop off and you could put the CE on instead?

haha, i dunno if i could do a straight swap, ive been looking at alpha 3 online and its sells for about 180 from what i can see.

Honestly i dont really know about ABoards etc, I know on the one i have there is like 2 boards (at least) on top of each other, are you talking about popping one off and sticking the other on instead? The street fighter hyper i have works fine anyways so im assuming i have a working A board??

Master of the Universe

haha, i dunno if i could do a straight swap, ive been looking at alpha 3 online and its sells for about 180 from what i can see.

Hah! I was only joking (that's why I included those shifty eyes) I would be completely ripping you off. Which I wouldn't dream of doing.
    Honestly i dont really know about ABoards etc, I know on the one i have there is like 2 boards (at least) on top of each other, are you talking about popping one off and sticking the other on instead? The street fighter hyper i have works fine anyways so im assuming i have a working A board??

CPS1 and CPS2 boards have a generic main board (think of it as a games console) and then a smaller board (the game)

In a lot of cases you can just pop the game board off and put another one on.

There are a few different revisions (which can cause issues), but my ones all seem compatible with each other. Will have a look into it and let you know.

You'd need a CPS2 kick harness for Alpha 3 Keith, & it does sell for quite a bit

Master of the Universe

That was one of those cases where you buy a cab and the game which comes with it is almost worth more than what you paid :D

That was one of those cases where you buy a cab and the game which comes with it is almost worth more than what you paid :D

The cab came with Street fighter 2 Hyper Fighting, the blue Alpha 3 with the kind of dock the game sits into and original tetris pcb too, so got a sweet deal on it looking back!
    You'd need a CPS2 kick harness for Alpha 3 Keith, & it does sell for quite a bit

Yeh i bought a CPs1 kick harness a while back, spotted a cps2 one at the same time, ill pick one up down the road.

I had one of those bootleg boards, with double fireballs etc, sold it about a month back.

Yeah i played them when they were out in every chip shop and pool hall in Ireland in the 90's, but i was always big into fighting games being properly balanced so they bored me after about 5 minutes. I still play them on MAME an odd time, but only for the laugh for a round or two. Hyper fighting is rarely off the cab on the other hand, it's my go-to game at the moment.
    Hyper fighting is grand, ive been playing it a lot in the cab, but its not MY street fighter if you know what i mean thats world warrior and champions edition, they are the ones i played the most in the arcade.

World warrior was great, although i think it's aged badly in retrospect. It's ridiculously slow and poorly balanced by modern standards. I think champion edition was great on it's release, but after the novelty of playing as the bosses wore off it was more of the same gameplay and dodgy balancing, and still too slow. That's one of the reasons the unofficial hacks started appearing, with their faster clock speeds to speed up the gameplay.

Have you read up on the different glitches in the original world warrior boards? There were four different PCB editions, each with their own little glitched tricks and foibles. If you're very VERY lucky you'll have the one where you can do an instant flash-kick with guile without charging it if you know the right inputs. I don't have a PCB for it but that's the version that i've put on the favourites wheel on my hyperspin cab. Surprising a human opponent with one of those babies in a 2 player is possibly the greatest feeling in all of videogaming, especially if they know how a flash kick is supposed to be done. :D

I think champion edition was great on it's release, but after the novelty of playing as the bosses wore off it was more of the same gameplay and dodgy balancing, and still too slow.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my SF not sped up. I like the strategic side of things & not the run n gun style gameplay of HF & Super Turbo. Balancing aside, I'd agree with Keith here, anything after Champion Edition I didn't play as much in the arcades. SF2 & CE to me are the greats

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my SF not sped up. I like the strategic side of things & not the run n gun style gameplay of HF & Super turbo

This is all personal preference, so my opinion doesn't count for any more than yours here, but I honestly don't regard hyper as fast, I regard champion and world warrior as slow, so slow in fact that it makes it a lot easier to see whats coming, which makes the game less of a challenge, in both single and two player modes. The speed of hyper gets a lot easier to manage after you stick with it for a bit, and the new moves, and air moves in particular really add a new dimension to the game. To me, hyper is street fighter at its core, stripped down, strategic and probably the best the base footsies and zoning gameplay ever got before things got more complicated with super turbo, the alpha series and III. Also the damage output was toned down in hyper, whereas it was very high in WW and CE. As a result, bouts were longer and more epic stuff got a chance to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

safetyboy wrote: »
    Hacked one myself, and working fine, but the dreamcast seems to randomly reset, not sure what the problem is I have a second that I have lent a friend so I need to check that.

Really wanted some border down too, House of the dead 2 \o/

This is what I'm using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-VGA-Box-Converter-Sega-Dreamcast-AV-S-Video-DC-/200612274996?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item2eb56c6334#ht_1139wt_1397

Has anyone used this before?

Was having the same problem safteyboy, and I was sure it was Vga box.
    Just carried out cleaning and bending the pins as in link suggested by Enternow.
    She is working a charm now..no resets at all.
    Must just be coincidence that it started happening when I connected it to my cab.

I can now happily get through two levels of Gigawing with out the fear of resetting.On the plus side I know know the first few levels of every shump on the dreamcast like the back of my hand thanks to resets and having to play them over and over.

Cheers Enternow, your the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Jeff from digital systems has new stock.
    Posted on AO he will be putting 40 machines up for sale in the next month via twitter and ebay.

At the moment he's got 3 Atomiswaves, few coctails and quiz machines.

These touchscreen quiz machines he has up for sale look the business I must say.I never wanted one but I do now...2g's though:eek:
    $(KGrHqZHJD!E90n0wDZqBPo5WO36JQ~~60_58.JPG

Master of the Universe

Another lovely cab over on AO. LCD in the marquee is mental.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21980

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

**** ME

That is one fantastic cab! £650, would I be right thinking thats not a bad price?

Master of the Universe

For a Neo 29? Definitely an amazing price. From what I've seen anyway.

Never saw one with an LCD like that in the marquee though.

Time to do the usual 'WHY THE **** DO I LIVE IN IRELAND?!' lament :(

Looks like a Pony next to it. I think that was the one that sold there recently.

Master of the Universe

Here's another AO bargain, Raiden II for 60 pounds

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22001

I also spied a Batrider there somwhere for 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Heres a deal, we go over, you buy a cab and I can get a pinball machine

2 men and a van, we could make a documentary and earn back the cost from some sweet youtube money!

I must sign up over there, you cant see anything without signing up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I must sign up over there, you cant see anything without signing up.

Best get your missus to put your wallet somewhere you can't find it! Always something tasty for sale over there. :)

Master of the Universe

Heres a deal, we go over, you buy a cab and I can get a pinball machine

2 men and a van, we could make a documentary and earn back the cost from some sweet youtube money!

This is something I'd love to do at least one. Select a cab in the UK, find a mate with a van and then drive over to pick it up. Would be great craic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The second screen on that arcade machine can be used for some pretty cool stuff with Hyperspin.

Advertisement