Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

Aldi are selling hole punchers and conical drillbits and the like from next thursday 25th.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24108.htm

Might be useful for anyone drilling a control panel. I prefer using an exact measurement hole saw personally, but a conical drillbit is a handy thing to have for widening holes out a bit when stuff doesn't fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Aldi are selling hole punchers and conical drillbits and the like from next thursday 25th.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24108.htm

Might be useful for anyone drilling a control panel. I prefer using an exact measurement hole saw personally, but a conical drillbit is a handy thing to have for widening holes out a bit when stuff doesn't fit...

They should work in a decent Dremel, yes?
    I've got a few adapters including a drill bit thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not sure I'd use them in a dremel, there are designed for to run at a much lower speed and higher torque than the dremel is comfortable at. I doubt they're sufficiently balanced for 30,000 rpm either !!

Not sure I'd use them in a dremel, there are designed for to run at a much lower speed and higher torque than the dremel is comfortable at. I doubt they're sufficiently balanced for 30,000 rpm either !!

Ahh, I've got a normal drill as well but I just love my Dremel :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ahh, I've got a normal drill as well but I just love my Dremel :)

Dremel's are excellent pieces of kit alright, was in B&Q yesterday and they were selling off the accessory kits cheap - 135 piece for €18 I think.

• Advertisement

Not sure I'd use them in a dremel, there are designed for to run at a much lower speed and higher torque...

Yeah, i have a conical saw that i use in a standard hand drill, and it's fairly quick to eat through wood and plastic and the like. Would be careful about using it at higher speeds, you might find you bite off more than you can chew.

They do need a lot of torque also, they are a bugger to control. Much better suited for use with a drill press if you have one.

If the buttons don't fit you can always take a more direct approach :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBwdkzVFw8T5kBPvR0PaYZ4sNDaYQ1B7x2x3r1K2OD9CwgCJIsJg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Think Aldi also have a scalpel set. Good selection for cutting out overlays was my first thought!
    Go aldi!

They also have a cheap enough toolbox and soldering iron.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Probably a strange question this, when wrapping PCBs in bubblewrap (or anything for that matter) - do you put the bubbles on the outside or inside? I always put them on the outside myself. Maybe it makes no difference.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Probably a strange question this, when wrapping PCBs in bubblewrap (or anything for that matter) - do you put the bubbles on the outside or inside? I always put them on the outside myself. Maybe it makes no difference.

Bubble wrap in general is bubble side towards what you're protecting as the bubbles can adapt to the shape of the item better than the flat side(the flat side can distribute any impacts across multiple bubbles as well if they are facing inwards).
    Plus the flat side is nearly always the more rugged side so should be facing outwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I prefer to use a Tension Sheet...
    tensionSheet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So, myself and the missus walk into a bar in London - what do you know, they have a cocktail cab.

My excitement soon vanished though when I realized it was a home made MAME job.

Until the girlfriend uttered the following words -

'You know, I wouldn't mind one of these cocktail arcade machine thingies in the house, you can use them as a table'

Me - :eek:

So, anyone seen an Aero table for sale anywhere? :pac:

You were probably thinking "ffs why couldn't you have said that sooner...". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Didn't you get a cocktail cab already from the Vec trade o1s1n? Or are you looking for an original now?

Note, Retr0 has two different versions of the word. Apparently he enjoys both...cocktail & cock tail

Master of the Universe

You were probably thinking "ffs why couldn't you have said that sooner...". :pac:

Hah, I know. Talk about mixed signals! At least I haven't seen any Aero tables sell recently. That would have been a killer.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Didn't you get a cocktail cab already from the Vec trade o1s1n? Or are you looking for an original now?

Note, Retr0 has two different versions of the word. Apparently he enjoys both...cocktail & cock tail

Yeah I do have that Ikea one. It's great and all, but nothing beats the real thing. Ideally I'd like to keep the Ikea one as a dedicated Dreamcast vertical shmup machine and then have a real cocktail for vertical PCBs.

Master of the Universe

Hah, was looking at some photos Ronnie posted last November, lots of cabs, 'work in progress'.

Spotted my one!!!

cab-3.jpg

And on a site note, check out the amount of Capcom Mini Cute's and Jaleco Ponys!

Jayzus, must be atleast 50k worth of cabs in the pic alone. :cool:

Not a whiff of an Egret in there either unless my eyes deceive me!

I can see a trio of E2's towards the back behind that little blue NeoGeo jobbie. If they're not E2 then E3. I think. :)

I can see a trio of E2's towards the back behind that little blue NeoGeo jobbie. If they're not E2 then E3. I think. :)

He's definitely worked his way through those cabs so as I only queried his stock with him recently as he had no egrets. Although I suppose they'll always be first to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Progear is CPS2 afaik. Very expensive too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Fixed the sound on the SF2 CE Jamma PCB i got a couple of weeks ago, popped off one of the chips on the middle board, and took the same one of the working SF2 CE Hyper i have, it worked! So have a working SF2 CE Cab now completed!

Anyone else see the 4 Player XMEN cab for sale in the liquidation shop they have in tallaght? its working, in good nick. they are looking for 700 for it.

Master of the Universe

700 for a 4 player XMEN? Someone has to buy that...!

Well done fixing that board. I love when changing chips about like that works. Shame home console carts arent socketed!

So, I got onto Ronnie about getting either an Aero Table or a Jaleco Table Pony. A long shot, and as I was expecting, they just don't seem to exist. Said he could get one, but it's in bad shape. (and costs over a grand)

I think I'll ask if he has any standard Pony cabs. Probably another no, but worth a shot. The screen angle on them looks idea for shmups. I need something for shmups!!

4001924190_739a0a4812.jpg

keithgeo wrote: »
    Fixed the sound on the SF2 CE Jamma PCB i got a couple of weeks ago, popped off one of the chips on the middle board, and took the same one of the working SF2 CE Hyper i have, it worked! So have a working SF2 CE Cab now...

And a knackered hyper PCB. Shame. Great game that....

I know next to nothing about running jamma PCBs. What does a board like that even go for these days? If I was ever buying a jamma board to put in storage in the hope that I'd one day have a cab to put it in, that would be the one.

What else is needed in the cab to run them? I presume the harness powers the PCB? Is it just as simple as plugging in the connector and hooking up the video and away you go?

And a knackered hyper PCB. Shame. Great game that....

I know next to nothing about running jamma PCBs. What does a board like that even go for these days? If I was ever buying a jamma board to put in storage in the hope that I'd one day have a cab to put it in, that would be the one.

What else is needed in the cab to run them? I presume the harness powers the PCB? Is it just as simple as plugging in the connector and hooking up the video and away you go?

Plug the pcb into the Jamma harness
    Plug in the kick harness for your six buttons
    Turn on cab & behold

Its not knackered at all, simple swap of that chip back over and it works 100% , i just need to do a bit more research on that chip and get a spare one. I wouldnt wreck a board just to get another working, if this swap had not of worked i just would have bought another normal CE.

Here is a pic of that XMEN 4 player cab from the irish liquidators, its on donedeal too.

xmen.jpg

It looks like its an Atari Nova cab as its very similiar to my SF cab. if so it was made right here in Ireland. dont think id fork out 700 on it though.

sf2.jpg

Master of the Universe

Awh, I was thinking it was one of these. Which is in fact 6 player and not 4!

xmen.jpg

The sound of the buttons! :D

Thats the one I thought it was too! No way is the one in the pic of the shop worth 700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Advertisement