Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Well done unky!
    He He heeee...chuffed

Managed to get that Sega Touring car cab that was on ebay last week.
    seller mailed me to say the deal fell through and that he'd sell it to me :).
    Just been up to inspect it and seal the deal...Ill pick it up at wknd.

Working fine...discolouration on monitor at top but otherwise seems a ok.

Looked inside and got the fright of my life...JVS driving cabs look mad.
    I may as well been looking into a bush!

Just be careful putting your hand into that kind of bush though. :pac:

So I cleared out the inside of the cab a couple of weeks ago. Took out the MDF mounted Mame pc, out with Jtag 360 and pad hacks and all the Extron/Sync Strike gubbins that were sitting in a box outside the cab.
    I cut up some additional sheets of MDF to swap in and out PCBs and the MVS 1 slot. Blazing Star had been in there but now it's the turn of Magic Sword for a while.

Not a terribly interesting picture but it feels nice to have the cab back working with original hardware. Gave me something to do also. :pac:
    That's a +5v meter wired up to a jamma adapter that sits between the jamma harness and the pcb. Handy little device.

PMDXF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yay! Andrew76 has the original bug again. Lets hope this leads to an influx of PCBs :D

I really need to get one of those 5v meters. Where'd you get it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

That is one tidy candy cab compared to mine.
    I've been searching for a fave dedicated board so I can do the same,
    Remove 360 and Dreamcast wires and have dedicated cab for a while.
    Something really nice about the simplicity and cleanliness of it all.

I see your VGA input for 15hz is attached to floor for easy access.
    Did it come like that?mines stuck to monitor chasis and a pain to get to.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yay! Andrew76 has the original bug again. Lets hope this leads to an influx of PCBs :D

I really need to get one of those 5v meters. Where'd you get it again?

Got it from a chap called 'shadows' on AO. FrancoB is doing even nicer ones atm but I think there's a lengthy lead time.
    That is one tidy candy cab compared to mine.
    I've been searching for a fave dedicated board so I can do the same,
    Remove 360 and Dreamcast wires and have dedicated cab for a while.
    Something really nice about the simplicity and cleanliness of it all.

I see your VGA input for 15hz is attached to floor for easy access.
    Did it come like that?mines stuck to monitor chasis and a pain to get to.

Tidy cab yep, office/games room a complete mess now. :)

Yeah the VGA comes like that, the little breakout board it plugs into feeds back to the jamma harness. Other end of the VGA cable back up to the chassis. It handles all three frequencies.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

First time I've ever seen a Gunforce II board on ebay. A day left and it's on $402 - be interesting to see what it ends for. I'd really kill for that board.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUNFORCE-II-by-IREM-Arcade-JAMMA-PCB-EXCELLENT-/390501650587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aebb6509b&_uhb=1

I picked up The Sega touring car cab today.

Problem...it ain't working.
    It was working when i saw it last week but now i've brought it back It's knackered.
    Thought connections had come loose in transit so all would be good.
    After 2 hours of scratching my head I'm stumped
    Power to monitor but that's it..static fuzz. LED's on the main board/amp/ are not lighting.

Maybe the main board has gone kaput in transit as it seems power from psu goes to this a leads to all other boards..and what a board.
    They are massive,encased in steel
    God damn impossible to find info or wiring diagrams for these uprights is half the problem.
    Model 2 2C CRX
    Problem with these JVS jobs is they have so many boards as well. Sound Boards, Rom Boards,Main boards,drive boards,Filter boards:eek:
    Maybe time to purchase a multimeter:(

For now I'm taking a break and drinking beer

Also I nearly broke my back collecting this.
    A little bigger than my KI2 cab....but the weight,God the weight.
    I didn't factor in that the force feed back motor in these yolks is like the weight of a second monitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

When you went to see it working that time, was it already powered on before you arrived?

Yep sure was..Why,You reckon there was some foul play?

In retrospect I should have powered the bad boy up again today before taking it...Foolish realy

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hard luck man :(

It had to be the transport part. There's a possibility it wasn't working when you went to collect - but if you think about it, it's far more likely that something happened while moving it. Especially if it's as heavy as you say.

At least the monitor is working though, right?! For 150, that's still pretty damn good.

Yep sure was..Why,You reckon there was some foul play?

In retrospect I should have powered the bad boy up again today before taking it...Foolish realy

Well with stuff like this, its always good practice to power it on/off as god knows what could be wrong. And to further that, make sure your taking it away the same day you inspect it...so nothing can be swapped out ;)

Foul play wise its impossible to say, its more likely it didn't take to well to being transported. Remove the game & all boards, clean all the connections & start from the very beginning man

Master of the Universe

This is very cool, video footage from the 80s of an arcade machine factory

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hard luck man :(

It had to be the transport part. There's a possibility it wasn't working when you went to collect - but if you think about it, it's far more likely that something happened while moving it. Especially if it's as heavy as you say.

At least the monitor is working though, right?! For 150, that's still pretty damn good.

Yep It had to be transport..back door kept falling off so I'd say board/wires/psu took a beating somewhere along the line..rain did not help
    Yep i'm still happy for 150 as monitor works..and have a full driving cab shell.
    It is a 24khz monitor though so I would ideally like it as a dedicated model 2 cab

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well with stuff like this, its always good practice to power it on/off as god knows what could be wrong. And to further that, make sure your taking it away the same day you inspect it...so nothing can be swapped out ;)

Foul play wise its impossible to say, its more likely it didn't take to well to being transported. Remove the game & all boards, clean all the connections & start from the very beginning man

Yeah, tomorrow i'm gonna buy a multi meter...remove every board and rec-connect every connection.It was caked in dust when I saw it first so I think it really protested to being manhandled
    I'd imagine either PSU is dodgy/connections from psu to main board or main board itself
    also seems to be some sort of filter board between psu and main board which could be issue!..It's not the iso transformer or line in filter so god knows what its function is
    Really need wiring diagrams for this Sh1t!!!!

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Great video link oisin.

I can't get over the way the fellas are just picking up and swinging around the monitors like they're a bag of sugar!

Master of the Universe

I'd like to see them try to do that in a candy cab factory :D 29 inches of pure flat lead weight.

Anyone see the NAMCO Exceleena 2 Ronnie just listed? Weird looking yolk!

namco%20(2).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Tempted, might sell the dishwasher..

safetyboy wrote: »
    Tempted, might sell the dishwasher..

But if you do that who are you going to get to cook the dinner, clean the house, wash your clothes, provide other services, etc etc... :p

Actually, retr0 is short a few bob at the minute I hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can see the poor chap on the streets, with a sandwich board that reads...

"Many retrogames homeless, will do housework or preform "acts" for a gamesroom"

Ruddy touring car cab is giving me no joy.
    Cleaned and reconnected all connection but nothing.
    Monitor and marque work but that's it...nothing to any boards
    I think these AC connections just go through the ISO transformer only though.
    That leaves the PSU..12v And 5v come from that to main board so I figure it may be goosed.
    No sound of it at all either...presume there should be?
    There is also a fuse on a small power board maybe worth changing.
    Really need to get a multimeter..anyone know a good place to pick one up?

• Advertisement

Ruddy touring car cab is giving me no joy.
    Cleaned and reconnected all connection but nothing.
    Monitor and marque work but that's it...nothing to any boards
    I think these AC connections just go through the ISO transformer only though.
    That leaves the PSU..12v And 5v come from that to main board so I figure it may be goosed.
    No sound of it at all either...presume there should be?
    There is also a fuse on a small power board maybe worth changing.
    Really need to get a multimeter..anyone know a good place to pick one up?

Any hardware shop should sell them, digital one ofcourse. It's the one essential tool every cab owner should have.

Posted this video a while back but it pretty much explains all you'll need to do with it in case anyone wasn't familiar:

good man.. I've always meant to pick one up.
    You never know what crazy voltages are running through you cab,causing damage on the sly over time ..just never had real reason to..now I need one :)
    oen that measures AC/DC voltage is all I really need isn't it

Multi meter tomorrow...tis a crows nest of wires and boards inside.
    Only so long I can disconnect and reconnect wires trying to troubleshoot :D

img20121126193314.jpg

It's a beast..look at it compared to KI cab.
    img20121126193647.jpg

I told my mate who was picking it up with me that it was much smaller than the Ki....Sucker:pac:....and the weight was twice as much as well.
    Trying to lift it up one step nearly broke us.
    He has now written off money he owes me as services rendered for the day

The multimeter should only cost you a few quid, under 20 I'd guess. Lol the Candy is dwarfed by it. :D

Wow there's a lot going on inside that cab. That top PCB could do with a serious clean whatever it is.

A quick bit of googling is saying it's based on Sega Model 2 hardware (or some variant of it)? I know zilch about that I'm afraid.

Here's some links that might be useful.

http://www.arcadebase.de/systems2.htm - Sega Model 2 near the bottom
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=716- this lists your game I think
    http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9479

Maybe check the PSU and any game related boards for correct power levels.

Yeah it was a bit much when I opened it first!...alot of head scratching and chin stroking :)
    it's model 2 crx c board..

That top grimey board is only the sound board so ill clean it when the rest works!
    The main model 2 board is the big metal encased fecker on the below left. All PSU ouputs go to that.
    Marquee and monitor seem to go direct from AC to ISO transformer and work fine.
    force feed back board and motor are at the very top back

the big one near centre is the drive board ..i think..also amp.
    in the pic you can't see other "smaller" filter boards as well :confused:

Master of the Universe

Bloody Punisher bootleg won't sync with my monitor properly. Just keeps jumping around.

Weird thing, it's not consistent. At one point it synced for about 10-20 seconds and then started jumping again :mad:

I'm guessing you've tried adjusting the vertical and horizontal hold pots? Size ones too maybe.

Lads only got around to testing the Sega touring car cab with a multi meter.
    looks like the PSU is done for..100VAC going in but nothing coming out.
    I've also opened it a checked the fuse and It's ok so I guess a new PSU is the way to go.

Question is there a drop and play one I can get for these model 2 cabs.

Seems to be a regular psu with just 5V and 12V output.. problem is it has AMP UP connectors and about fifty 5V and 12 V outputs.
    Will i just have to get regular psu and amp up connectors and wire it that way..I really don't want to of crimping all pins etc!!!
    Wheres the best pace to buy them?

img20121208152949.jpg

img20121209135754.jpg

looks like the PSU is done for..100VAC going in but nothing coming out.

Is it running through a step down or something, shouldn't there be 220v going in?

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought that was weird too.
    But im thinking the iso transformer also doubles as a stepdown on these weird ass Sega cabs.

220 goes in and 100 comes out on the other side of iso to the psu.
    The psu switch was set to 115v which confirms this and this sticker on iso marks the yellow output coming out to psu as 100v..which it is bang on.

img20121209192237.jpg

Advertisement