Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They must all run that way so, interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice to see you have a possible (and easy) solution to fix this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah Thanks..Hopefully thats all thats wrong!

Where is a good place to buy arcade PSU's online

Or does anyone (Mitch?) have a model 2 one they are willing to part with

Master of the Universe

Any luck on sourcing that PSU?

On an unrelated note, check out this horror show. Saw it over on the AO crap cab thread.

Have you ever come across a four player game which needed six buttons? Me neither.

HUGECP.jpg

Check out the viewing angle from the blue stick.

HUGECP10.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any luck on sourcing that PSU?

On an unrelated note, check out this horror show. Saw it over on the AO crap cab thread.

Have you ever come across a four player game which needed six buttons? Me neither.

HUGECP.jpg

Check out the viewing angle from the blue stick.

HUGECP10.jpg

Dear.. God...

• Advertisement

Holy jaysus.....thats an abomination :eek:

Haa..thats a beauty alright.

Yeah I've sourced model 2 PSU from videotronics so should be plug and play when it arrives :)

http://www.videotronicsuk.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=393&name=used-power-supply-jqa-400-5306-01&Itemid=1

On an unrelated note, check out this horror show......

Holy Jesus, that's messed up. It's nearly as wide as it is tall.

With all the technology and parts and stuff available to the home cab building scene now, it's almost a skill in itself learning not to include everything it's possible to build into your machine. Often it's the cabs that are limited to one subset of games (like shmups, or 80's games or whatever) that have the best aesthetic look and feel to them.

The ones that look like they're capable of playing every single game ever developed and have every controller and button imaginable on the panel are often the most confused and messed up looking, just like this one.

Stop trying to emulate everything. Less is more, for feck's sake.....

It looks like it's made for playing fighting games, and some of the marvel versus capcom games are 4 player, and of course street fighter games need 6 buttons, so the panel is probably the result of a mix of the requirements for a few games.

Master of the Universe

Marvel V Capcom is 4 player? Serious? Has there ever been a cabinet? Only ones I've seen are two player.

Some good photoshops of it over on AO

HUGECP4.jpg

29117263.jpg

Master of the Universe

Am I mad for considering a Progear conversion? I've been on the lookout for the game for ages, last one I saw ended at about 300 euro. So they're few and far between and when they finally do come up, they go for a bomb.

Conversion on the other hand - Phoenixed from the get go and some of them look really nicely put together. They always seem to be on ebay and sell for about half the price.

Down side to that - it meant another game was modified (probably Vampire Savior) to create it.

It's a bootleg. I hate bootlegs.

I've already tried the Chinese multi cart option - my monitor did not like that one bit.

So I either sit around, hoping another comes up for sale and drop a huge amount on it - or buy a nicely put together conversion.

Hmmm... I dunno!

• Advertisement

Am I mad for considering a Progear conversion? I've been on the lookout for the game for ages, last one I saw ended at about 300 euro. So they're few and far between and when they finally do come up, they go for a bomb.

Conversion on the other hand - Phoenixed from the get go and some of them look really nicely put together. They always seem to be on ebay and sell for about half the price.

Down side to that - it meant another game was modified (probably Vampire Savior) to create it.

It's a bootleg. I hate bootlegs.

I've already tried the Chinese multi cart option - my monitor did not like that one bit.

So I either sit around, hoping another comes up for sale and drop a huge amount on it - or buy a nicely put together conversion.

Hmmm... I dunno!

If you can maybe buy a Progear printed cps2 label, or have one made for you...why not source a borked cps2 game & have the chips programmed for you buy someone else?

Master of the Universe

Oh wait, remember when I bought a few CPS2 games from yourself, one of them had been converted but it had glitching sprites due to the board being incompatible? Street Fighter 2 ultra rare CPS2 edition? :pac:

Maybe I could use that as a base and then get some eeproms programmed.

Interesting! Will look into that. Any chance you remember what game the board originally was? Or did you buy it pre converted?

Oh wait, remember when I bought a few CPS2 games from yourself, one of them had been converted but it had glitching sprites due to the board being incompatible? Street Fighter 2 ultra rare CPS2 edition? :pac:

Maybe I could use that as a base and then get some eeproms programmed.

Interesting! Will look into that. Any chance you remember what game the board originally was? Or did you buy it pre converted?

No idea what that was originally, it was a heap of junk conversion sold by Mo from Videotronics. It was a high enough board revision, just short of having full compatibility for Hyper SF2 TAE, hence the sound glitches. I tried the eeproms from that board in my SFA3 board & the game was fine so its definitely the board itself.

Provided its compatible with Progear, thats the perfect candidate for a conversion. Clean up the outer casing & have a proper Progear label printed & you'd be all set. You'd need to send those eeproms to someone with the equiptment to erase & write to them, perhaps Cathaldublin can do it? I think he mentioned before he could?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've an EPROM programmer, will give it a go no problem

Marvel V Capcom is 4 player? Serious? Has there ever been a cabinet? Only ones I've seen are two player.

Actually you're right, i don't think there were more than 2 players in arcade. I think one of the playstation versions was 4 player.

X-Men was 2, 4, and even SIX players simultaneously in the arcade though.

Check this bad boy out :D. Six sticks, and TWO screens. Players 1 and 6 on the outside would get brain failure from trying to control their character on an 8 way stick at about a 20 degree viewing angle...

x-men.gif

http://ifanboy.com/articles/top-five-marvel-arcade-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

EnterNow wrote: »
    They must all run that way so, interesting

Sega cabs from what I've seen are indeed strange that way.
    Looks like the US/JAP/Europe cabs are all made in the same way with looms etc. and just for the 220-240V markets a massive stepdown transformer is put inline with the AC just as it enters the cab.
    Even the top marquee lighting in Naomi New Net City cabs are 110V-120V :)

Related and unrelated at the same time...
    This massive stepdown transformer is fine for a cab with a large metal bottom box to contain any EMI from the brick, but not so much if someone (like Jeff on fleeBay) drops one into a cab and doesn't shield it. It plays havoc with the bottom of the monitor :) I've yet to get myself a tin to put over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Kerb. With regard to the transformer, I've tried a metal tin over it myself but it made no difference. Need something more heavy duty or perhaps replace with an external step down.

I wonder if the external was placed inside the cab would it not cause any interference?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Sega cabs from what I've seen are indeed strange that way.
    Looks like the US/JAP/Europe cabs are all made in the same way with looms etc. and just for the 220-240V markets a massive stepdown transformer is put inline with the AC just as it enters the cab.
    Even the top marquee lighting in Naomi New Net City cabs are 110V-120V :)

Related and unrelated at the same time...
    This massive stepdown transformer is fine for a cab with a large metal bottom box to contain any EMI from the brick, but not so much if someone (like Jeff on fleeBay) drops one into a cab and doesn't shield it. It plays havoc with the bottom of the monitor :) I've yet to get myself a tin to put over it.

Yeah they are a weird setup..
    Didn't know some Sega candys needed ISO Transformers as well.
    I thought it was mostly woodies and all Sega Candy Monitors ran straight from mains

So is the step down in your New Net city also an Iso transformer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yeah they are a weird setup..
    Didn't know some Sega candys needed ISO Transformers as well.
    I thought it was mostly woodies and all Sega Candy Monitors ran straight from mains

So is the step down in your New Net city also an Iso transformer?

Wait, I could be mistaken about candys - but yup, the New Net City has a step down transformer before everything else

Master of the Universe

Finally managed to get the one and two player start buttons replaced in my cab. They were surprisingly hard to find the right colours in the smaller snap in button size - either everyone was sold out or just didn't stock them.

Decided to have a crack at that Gamshara PCB for the first time. Not only is it the first PCB I've bought without playing before, had a mate over so we were able to jump straight into 2 player.

It's a really fun (and odd) game. Kind of like if you take Nam 1975 and throw shmup bullet patterns into it.

• Advertisement

So the replacemnet PSu came for my Touring car cab.
    Dropped it and...ahhhhh nothing same results.
    LED doesn't even light on it.

checked a/c and there is 98V going in to PSU
    Checked back wiring and thats exactly whats coming from output side on ISO transformer..Max marked is 100V.
    So it seems all should be ok but it aint.surely 2V wouldn't make the difference

I'm officially stumped with this one.... WTF

Master of the Universe

Two candy 18s for sale over on AO, 900 GBP the pair

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22820

They're tiny little 18 inch yolks. Here's one beside an AWSD!

candy6.jpg

Master of the Universe

So the replacemnet PSu came for my Touring car cab.
    Dropped it and...ahhhhh nothing same results.
    LED doesn't even light on it.

checked a/c and there is 98V going in to PSU
    Checked back wiring and thats exactly whats coming from output side on ISO transformer..Max marked is 100V.
    So it seems all should be ok but it aint.surely 2V wouldn't make the difference

I'm officially stumped with this one.... WTF

Argh, that's awful to hear!

Seems like a bloody hard unit to troubleshoot :(

candy6.jpg

Great price I must say for two..Look like a neat little alternative to a cute.
    Argh, that's awful to hear!

Seems like a bloody hard unit to troubleshoot :(

Yep I'm at wits end now..I really can't see whats wrong.
    The chance that I got a second dodgey PSU are slim.
    I mean the LED doesn't even light up on it even though there is 98V out of a max 100V going to it.

Unless I'm missing something simple I can't see what could be wrong( I well could be)
    I'll ask over on AO, hopefully someone has similar cab

What is the best way to test the 115V psu .
    I have a stepdown transformer for my astro so maybe i could just butcher a kettle lead and plug it straight into stepdown with the other end having the wires exposed and connected to PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

candy6.jpg

I saw those, they are really cool!

Anyone want to go halfs? :D

Master of the Universe

So i thought I'd chance my arm and try to find a bulb for my cab in a pet shop. Much searching by the owner, but he found the one I needed. Delighted, I decided to have a pint to celebrate.

Opened the box in the pub only to see the bulb is actually Natural red'. Part of me says bring it back as the shop is just next door... but I kind of want to see what it would look like! might go with the red ball tops...!

Knocking shop Cab..:)
    The warm winter red glow will attract folk from far and wide for a go.
    May put you off that game of metal slug when degenerates are pressing there manhood against the window looking for a good time.

Maybe have a load of Candies some with top class games, some with this gear on them
    http://kotaku.com/5771791/how-video-games-can-build-a-better-whorehouse

Niche market but a winner all the same $$$$

Ohh did you get any pets with the bulb...it would be hard to resist a bearded dragon

Master of the Universe

So I plugged it in expecting it not to work, and it worked first time! Didn't even have to get a new starter for it. Can't believe it. I was convinced either the bulb would be broken (the box was quite mangled) or I'd at least need a new starter.

Even better, apparently aquarium red isn't so much brothel red as it is a very light hue. Can't really see any red at all.

Surprisingly hard to photograph, but it looks really really good. The light carries all the way up and around the marquee.

IMG_0419_zps58649671.jpg

IMG_0414_zps95ef6242.jpg

Master of the Universe

Well my crazy AV chain worked, I now have jamma boards displaying on the tabletop with scanlines.

The old PSU crapped out on me while I was trying to get it set up properly, so had to order a new one. Still, delighted it's all working correctly :)

IMG_0424_zps4f606862.jpg

Have to figure out how best to organize the mess!

IMG_0426_zpsa09f55d4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ikea aren't selling those cabinets anymore, so we were lucky, I keep meaning to get better innards for mine, the lappy in my one runs on coal and steam...

Advertisement