Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well my crazy AV chain worked, I now have jamma boards displaying on the tabletop with scanlines.

Have to figure out how best to organize the mess!

Sweet :) Your getting more use of it then that I'm am out of the Vectrex which I've still not done much with :(

If you want it would be fairly easy to build a much deeper drawer for all the stuff, just a case of lowering the runners on the cab then to fit it. Let me know if you want one and I can throw it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,963 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for the offer! I'll see how it all fits together once the new ATX arrives. If I can find a solution to fit it all in a drawer that would be brilliant.

The idea was to put everything in the drawer and then have a Jamma extension harness coming out of the drawer and down to the bottom where you sit boards. However for some reason whenever I used the extension harness nothing powered up. Have to figure out why. I have two of the extensions and neither of them seem to work.

I was so close to not using an ATX PSU too. I have one of these but never had a laptop brick that fit the connection. I tried that Lenovo one you gave me and it worked!

120w-DC-DC-Mini-Power-Supply-for-Car-PC-TD-PSU09-.jpg

Without a jamma board plugged in, it powers the whole chain. However once you connect a board to the supergun nothing powers. I'd say it just doesn't supply enough for the whole chain. It's a shame, as if it worked then I could have used the existing drawer no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya probably not able to supply enough juice on the 5v line, some of the those older Jamma boards are very hungry !!

Plenty of spare MDF at the moment so a decent drawer is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

There's an update to Hyperspin over on the official page for those that use it. It's not the 2.0 version we've all been waiting for, just an update to version 1.2 bringing it up to 1.3.
    Changes:

Added mp4 support
    Added wheel smoothing for crisper wheel graphics and text.
    Updated flash player to 11.
    Added last system support when restarting HyperSpin.
    Tried to fix sound issue (untested)
    Added PCLauncher support for HyperLaunch.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?22580-HyperSpin-1-3-Update-Release

Edit:
    As with all Hyperspin updates you just drop the 2 new files in the hyperspin directory and work away.
    Make a backup of the 2 old files of course.

Steve SI wrote: »
    There's an update to Hyperspin over on the official page for those that use it. It's not the 2.0 version we've all been waiting for, just an update to version 1.2 bringing it up to 1.3...

Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know if I could be bothered touching my hyperspin setup for those handful of new features. It's such a pain to tweak it if anything goes wrong that I've basically adopted a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. The only one thats of interest is the PC games launcher.

At the moment my pro pinball games won't exit using the usual hyperlaunch escape button, which means I need to use special key combos for exiting them and have hyperlaunch off (I think) which is a pain. Would the update make launching and exiting PC games with the default keys any easier?

BTW, I don't know if we'll ever see version 2 of hyperspin. It's been on the long finger forever.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know if I could be bothered touching my hyperspin setup for those handful of new features. It's such a pain to tweak it if anything goes wrong that I've basically adopted a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. The only one thats of interest is the PC games launcher.

At the moment my pro pinball games won't exit using the usual hyperlaunch escape button, which means I need to use special key combos for exiting them and have hyperlaunch off (I think) which is a pain. Would the update make launching and exiting PC games with the default keys any easier?

BTW, I don't know if we'll ever see version 2 of hyperspin. It's been on the long finger forever.

Well, you can test it out anyway. You just need to drop the two exe files in and work away. If it doesn't work or has bugs just copy back in the old ones, that's it.
    You don't need to change anything to get it to work.

As for version 2.0 of hyperspin, I'm sure we'll see it eventually and a few of the guys on the hyperspin forum have had test versions of it I think. Could be a few months away or a year or two.
    The MP4 video support that 2.0 has that is now in 1.3 is a biggie though. Much better performance on the MP4 files than the flv's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm the same, havn't touched my mamecab setup since I finshed it.

I like to tweak my cab setup every so often. But I do have a full clone of the drive for every change so I can roll back should it go bad.

If you have Hyperspin on your cab then this is an easy upgrade and it does have performance gains (faster loading themes etc). Drop the 2 files in after backing up the old ones, run it, play it. If it doesn't work the way you like then drop the 2 old files back in.

I downloaded all the mame mp4 vid previews last night so will see how that goes. Better quality previews by a long way and smaller file sizes, will report back here with anything I notice (bugs, performance etc).

....I do have a full clone of the drive for every change so I can roll back should it go bad...

Yeah, have backups of the last 2 iterations of the entire hyperspin folder on at least 2 separate backup drives. I am NEVER losing that setup after the amount of work that went into it.
    If you have Hyperspin on your cab then this is an easy upgrade and it does have performance gains (faster loading themes etc). Drop the 2 files in after backing up the old ones, run it, play it. If it doesn't work the way you like then drop the 2 old files back in

I do tweak occasionally, but it has to be worth it for the hassle.Thanks for the tips, i'll read up on the features and may give it a go, seems pretty foolproof to roll back if (as always seems to happen to me) there are some issues.

I'd be interested in hearing anything you notice about any change in performance overhead from the new .exe file, either for better or worse. My system is right at the limit of what it can do just to run my hyperspin setup, so a performance boost would be a big reason to look at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My monitor is an old 15hz job, would Hyperspin look pants in this?
    None of your hi res trisync gubbins here.
    Would I be better to use something else as my front end?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

15k monitors look the best. :) most games you'll be playing will display on it perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

self indulgence video by moi

Master of the Universe

That setup would make a grown man weep. Looks great.

Here's a question for ya, which cab do you prefer, the Astro or the AWSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

That setup would make a grown man weep. Looks great.

Here's a question for ya, which cab do you prefer, the Astro or the AWSD?

I <3 them both equally.

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    I <3 them both equally.

That's like what parents say about their kids..but we all know there's a favourite :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's like what parents say about their kids..but we all know there's a favourite :D

And that's why I only have one child!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Setup Looks quality ondafly.
    Where did you get those chairs..they look better than my 1960's antique wooden jobs:pac:
    What is that yolk sunctioned cupped on the side of the astro???
    Your astro looks like your pet dog.making the fool out of it,dressing it up for your own sick enjoyment.

Great soundtrack to vid by the way..its my alarm in the morn!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Hyperspin looks fine at 15KHz. You'll be spending more of your time playing games than looking at the HS menu hopefully, so not really an issue. Jamma games look better at 15KHz imo too.

I'd like to see them try to do that in a candy cab factory :D 29 inches of pure flat lead weight.

Anyone see the NAMCO Exceleena 2 Ronnie just listed? Weird looking yolk!

namco%20(2).jpg

Lads anybody know much about these?
    Cant find much if any about the monitor (29" Nanao MS8)
    Rotatable,6 buttons so its jamma+ yeah?
    So could I stick a 2 slot MVS in this no hassle?
    and.......say someday,god forbid I had to get rid of my mame cab!
    Could I hook a pc up to it?

Master of the Universe

Here's some more pics

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_Exceleena_II

Says there that it has a dual sync monitor 15/24k.

Annoying thing about the tate function, it rotates the opposite way to standard. If that's the case, then your vertical games will be upside down!

Should be able to plug an MVS board into it no problem.

Edit - just additionally, that's a pretty rare cab! I seriously doubt there are any in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Here's some more pics

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_Exceleena_II

Says there that it has a dual sync monitor 15/24k.

Annoying thing about the tate function, it rotates the opposite way to standard. If that's the case, then your vertical games will be upside down!

Should be able to plug an MVS board into it no problem.

Edit - just additionally, that's a pretty rare cab! I seriously doubt there are any in Ireland.

I've never tested it but I know some boards (Raiden, DX) have a Screen Flip dip setting. I wonder does it rotate it 180 degrees. Maybe all vert boards have that setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I've never tested it but I know some boards (Raiden, DX) have a Screen Flip dip setting. I wonder does it rotate it 180 degrees. Maybe all vert boards have that setting.

My DDP DOJ PCB can only go one way, ESPrade can flip both ways.

With mame you can spin it any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

urbanledge wrote: »
    Lads anybody know much about these?
    Cant find much if any about the monitor (29" Nanao MS8)
    Rotatable,6 buttons so its jamma+ yeah?
    So could I stick a 2 slot MVS in this no hassle?
    and.......say someday,god forbid I had to get rid of my mame cab!
    Could I hook a pc up to it?

yeah the cab should have a ms8 monitor 29" ..should be rotatable but get a pic of the rotate mech to make sure its still there
    cabs are jamma 3 buttons (later extended to 4) (jamma+)is a reference to the extra 3 buttons which are wired seperatly.ie kick harness

No, mvs 2 slot will not go straight in as they expect a mvs wired cab, adapters are available (its only to do with the sound wiring anyway ) a 1 slot is compatible

you can hook a pc to any arcade cab, but will require other hardware to bring down the syncs and wiring hook up etc

also excellenas are very very uncommon and have no spares around at all...

Alot of namco board flip the opposite way to modern boards SO WOULD BE OK IN THE ABOVE CAB .(example would be namco classics collection boards)
    not all boards have a flip option ,some do ,and older board that do have may flip similar to the namco ones
    the monitor itself could have a flip option where you have to move the connectors but i'm not sure if that is available with nanao monitors

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    No, mvs 2 slot will not go straight in as they expect a mvs wired cab, adapters are available (its only to do with the sound wiring anyway ) a 1 slot is compatible

Yeah on the subject of that, I would suggest just going with a 1 slot. It's not worth the extra hassle of using that MVS stereo adapter for the sake of an extra slot.

I can only imagine the amount of MVS multi slots considered to have broken sound because people don't know about this. I remember when I was selling my six slot, the guy was convinced that they were unreliable as the sound was broken on every one he had previous. :pac:
    geotrig wrote: »
    also excellenas are very very uncommon and have no spares around at all...

That's only really a worry though if it has a rare monitor. Everything else which would need replacing would be fairly generic wouldnt it?

Unless he smashes off the control panel for some reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

Yeah on the subject of that, I would suggest just going with a 1 slot. It's not worth the extra hassle of using that MVS stereo adapter for the sake of an extra slot.

I can only imagine the amount of MVS multi slots considered to have broken sound because people don't know about this. I remember when I was selling my six slot, the guy was convinced that they were unreliable as the sound was broken on every one he had previous. :pac:

That's only really a worry though if it has a rare monitor. Everything else which would need replacing would be fairly generic wouldnt it?

Unless he smashes off the control panel for some reason :D
    lol some people ,yeah agree ,1 slot is just the sensible option

also ms8's are prety hard come by ...but so are many monitors these days so

yeah it would just be contrl panel parts mainly ie cp itself and one or 2 other bits but nothinig major

just one thing to note is the bay for the boards ..it can be small in alot of namco cabs ,not sure how small this one is but its worth getting a pic with it open and with a 1 a slot inside maybe for prespective

All good points,
    Might just end up with a blast city form Jeff in the UK!
    This one looks the biz!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-Game-Sega-Candy-Cab-Blast-CIty-117-/370684776727?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item564e88d117

1100 delivered as is

Master of the Universe

All good points,
    This one looks the biz!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Video-Game-Sega-Candy-Cab-Blast-CIty-117-/370684776727?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item564e88d117

1100 delivered as is

Nice cab. A little expensive, but probably worth it with the support Jeff will give you. It would be worth talking to him directly rather than going through ebay. You'd probably get it a little cheaper with the ebay fees not included. Maybe he'll even give you a bit of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Definitely deal direct with Jeff but his support is iffy to say the least. Loads of info one day and then all quiet for weeks.

His shipping is another 100 sterling or so on top of cab price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

All good points,
    This one looks the biz!

1100 delivered as is

Don't forget to measure your doors at home :) I had to remove the front door.. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah been talking to him allready,
    I gotta factor in some other stuff tho.Like getting some games!
    Heres some info I got off him on Games etc

Hi there

Neo Geo doesn't need a harness as long as you are using a standard jamma neo geo motherboard and I have one or two in stock - same goes for the cart ie in stock

the only time I need to make a harness mod is for the little elf/blue elf/tornado boards etc and that is about half an hour to an hours work to fit the buttons and the wiring changes

The cost for the neo geo setup would be £140

your other option is the new Little Elf PCB that is the successor to the Blue Elf - much better performance and quality ( I did the design change mod request for the old Blue Elf/ x in one boards for the factory in Taiwan and for cost vs quality it has met my expectations and we will be doing some new x in one boards once we get some time

Cost for a Little Elf board including extra buttons and harness mod is £150

The only reason I suggest the latter is because Neo Geo motherboards are rapidly approaching the end of their useful life and failure rates are getting quite high - whereas the Little Elf boards are brand new

Jeff

Me-whats a little elf?any info on it
    Hi there- pretty much the same as Blue Elf in terms of content but it has an uprated processor and memory, plus a VGA outpt as well as the CGA one - more robust system and not the same problems with slowing that Blue Elf 2 suffered from in parts with CPS3

Would a blue elf/little elf be a good starting point?
    Im guessing theres some crappy emulation at work or something?

Advertisement