Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cap kit done, chassis back in the cab and the monitor is working again. Oh sweet relief!!!

Didn't doubt you for a second Enternow...but it was still bloody terrifying :D

Pray tell..what cab is this, elaborate!!

One of the electrocoins?I'm dreading the day I've 'to mess with a monitor.

But as sure as day meets night I will, that's one thing I love about arcade machine...the inevitable, Given time something will always go up in smoke and you gotta learn how to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah went very smooth man, was a delight to see it all up & running :)

Almost too smooth! At this stage I just assume things won't work first go. Was blown away when the monitor came on first try. Bloody impressive.
    Pray tell..what cab is this, elaborate!!

One of the electrocoins?I'm dreading the day I've 'to mess with a monitor.

But as sure as day meets night I will, that's one thing I love about arcade machine...the inevitable, Given time something will always go up in smoke and you gotta learn how to fix it.

My one and only cab at the moment, that SNK candy 25 I picked up last summer. Nothing had gone up in smoke, but the monitor did need a cap kit. Thought it was best to get a new set of caps in before they damaged any of the other components.

I mentioned before, but I'll mention again just in case any folks missed it the first time. (and because the kit went so well) - The chap who owns this site did the whole kit up from scratch. All you need is a list of caps and he'll put it together for you. Cheap as chips too, I think it was only about 15 quid.

http://console5.com/store/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Cap kit done, chassis back in the cab and the monitor is working again. Oh sweet relief!!!

Didn't doubt you for a second Enternow...but it was still bloody terrifying :D

Hey Oisin.

You've probably said this before but what was wrong with your monitor (do you have a photo) and how did you identify that a cap kit would solve the problem.

Thanks man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I mentioned before, but I'll mention again just in case any folks missed it the first time. (and because the kit went so well) - The chap who owns this site did the whole kit up from scratch. All you need is a list of caps and he'll put it together for you. Cheap as chips too, I think it was only about 15 quid.

You mean EnterNow owns Boards.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You mean EnterNow owns Boards.ie!

No the chap that owns the site o1s1n linked to, he gathered all the caps together that o1s1n needed & sold them as a kit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

http://console5.com/store/
    No the chap that owns the site o1s1n linked to, he gathered all the caps together that o1s1n needed & sold them as a kit

Do you get the list of caps yourself or does he do it? If you, where do you get the list from - physically looking at the chassis or does AO wiki list them maybe?

Master of the Universe

Hey Oisin.

You've probably said this before but what was wrong with your monitor (do you have a photo) and how did you identify that a cap kit would solve the problem.

Thanks man

There was no major issue with my monitor, but imperfections which were enough to annoy (and worry) me. The kinds of imperfections where you think it may just be best leaving it alone :D (shadowing, sometimes bits of blurriness)

My chassis was in really good condition for it's age. It's from the late 80s/early 90s and looked spotless. However, that makes it 25+ years old. It also made the caps 25+ years old! So better to get the kit done now as a preventative measure than have the old caps do damage. I've ready that caps reaching the end of their life can start supplying incorrect impedance and damage other components.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you get the list of caps yourself or does he do it? If you, where do you get the list from - physically looking at the chassis or does AO wiki list them maybe?

This was the hardest part. There was no list of known caps for my chassis. I looked everywhere but couldn't find anything. Until I stumbled across a list of caps for a chassis very similar to mine.

So I supplied him with that list, photos online of the chassis similar to mine, along with loads of photos of my chassis. He put that all together and came up with the kit.

All the caps were spot on. The only difference was the inclusion of two extra caps for a little board which my chassis didn't have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With the lack of real estate on the CP of my cab, I thought I might try using 24mm buttons instead of 30mm ones.
    Only thing is, how to convert the four useful 30mm holes into 24mm,so they match up with the new ones, I was thinking that a steel washer would do it, and then all six buttons would match nicely.
    What you think, or should I just use the four existing 30mm buttons and don't worry about the visual mishmash with the two additional 24mm buttons per player.
    It's just going to be too awkward to fill and grind down the steel CP, then apply a new vinyl.

Master of the Universe

Is the easiest solution not to scrap that CP and put together a wood one? You'd just need a couple of pieces of wood and that's it. Drill whatever CP you want and then connect it up to the old CP hinge?

Will it fit though?
    I don't know.
    Making a whole new one is possible but I wouldn't really know where to start.
    I've tried to find refurbishment projects online but to no avail.
    At least this way I get a usable CP.
    I might order four new buttons and give it a go, if it doesn't work I'll build a new one, and use 24mm buttons in the process.
    I need a new set of 1/2p buttons as well.

• Advertisement

I wonder if something like thse would allow you to fit smaller buttons into the larger holes without falling through? If so, six of these, six new small buttons & your set. The new buttons may be too small for these though, I dunno

95400900.jpg

http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/95400900.htm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Will it fit though?
    I don't know.
    Making a whole new one is possible but I wouldn't really know where to start.

Go for it. It really isn't difficult and there's loads of help around here. Just take the old CP off in one piece and use it as a template, find a material that works for you (either metal or thin MDF)and lay the original one over it, clamp, mark, cut it, and then drill it with the right diameter hole saw to suit your new buttons, making sure not to forget the extra space between the buttons you'll need for the fixing rings that hold the buttons on. There are lots of different diagrams for button layouts online, but 2 curved lines of 3 buttons are probably the most comfortable.

Buying the tools for just one panel is a bit pricey, so borrow what you can, but you'll need to get the right diameter hole saws at a minimum, and a drill, wood clamps, a decent handsaw or electric saw, depending what you're happier with, and some sandpaper or a palm sander if you can get access to one so you can smooth it all out before you paint or wrap it. A plastic or vinyl wrap can really set it off and make it look very professional, think about it before you fit the buttons.

Wiring up the new buttons is child's play. At worst you'll have to change the terminals at the end for ones that suit the switches in your replacement buttons, but you probably won't even need to do that. You can get crimp on spade connectors in maplins or anywhere that will sell you the switches & buttons, and take advice on what buttons you want to use, try out a few other cabs if you can before you order.

Lads, whats the web site for the fella that repairs the monitor chassis?

alias is grantspain or gunblade

Lads, whats the web site for the fella that repairs the monitor chassis?

alias is grantspain or gunblade

http://www.error24.co.uk/

Grant is sound as a pound, I've been discussing my own monitor issue with him over the last few days. I'm gonna buy a new flyback & hot from him & do the work myself I think, the registered postal price is pretty high to the UK

Thanks Enter.

Not sure if my chassis is really fooked or anything. Just want to see if he can fix a bit of curl in one of the corners.

Might he a monitor issue either in which case ill live with it.

Thanks Enter.

Not sure if my chassis is really fooked or anything. Just want to see if he can fix a bit of curl in one of the corners.

Might he a monitor issue either in which case ill live with it.

The man is a genius, your in good hands with him anyway

Sent a message through the site to him anyway. See how it goes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

He has fixed two chassis for me through Jamma+ , both work perfect now.

Thanks guys

He's made contact now and I've provided him with photos. See what he can do. As long as its just the chassis ill be happy enough to let him at it.

What sort of cost are we talking about for sending a chassis over to him? Keith?

Do you guys just wrap it in bubble wrap and pop it in a box pretty much?

Just curious in case I ever need to avail of the service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It was around 20 quid signed for post i think. Didnt want it getting lost in the post, i just bubble wrapped it well and put it in a box.

keithgeo wrote: »
    It was around 20 quid signed for post i think. Didnt want it getting lost in the post, i just bubble wrapped it well and put it in a box.

Ah cool sure that's cheap enough. Cheers.

What size are the screens in a Street Fighter 4 cab?

What size are the screens in a Street Fighter 4 cab?

Were they the Taito Viewlix cabs? 32 inch if so

Were they the Taito Viewlix cabs? 32 inch if so

Havn't a clue, you reckon 32"? Sounds about right, I take it they're 1080p too yeah?

I'm seriously considering either building, or converting an existing cab into a dedicated SF4 cab that runs the arcade versions of the game.

Hmm, some are different?
    Vewlix-F: Sanwa T32H075 (KA) (1080p maximum)
    Vewlix-L: TWG co. TLK-320Y (720p max)

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Vewlix

Are there any types of more common cab that would have a 32" 16:9 screen?

Yeah, I made the assumption that is was the viewlix l. I could be wrong there.

You planning on putting a proper sf4 lit in there? Do they not cost a fortune?

Yeah, I made the assumption that is was the viewlix l. I could be wrong there.

You planning on putting a proper sf4 lit in there? Do they not cost a fortune?

Well SF4 & SF4AE have been dumped & run perfectly under windows {much the same as they run under Windows XPe in their genuine form} so no I won't be putting the real hardware in it, but I wouldn't be emulating it either - because the software is designed to run under windows so no emulation is needed.

However I'm just not sure whether to build a custom cab, or convert an existing one. I'd prob prefer to convert an existing one as I prefer real cabs to diy ones...just not sure what one would house a 16:9 panel

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Might be worth shooting an email off to Mitch to see if he has any empty cab shells floating about? Sounds like an interesting project.

It should be okay fitting a 16:9, just use the bezel space to accommodate it and then create a new bezel for it.

This was an interesting project. A lad over on AO had an AWSD with no monitor and put a 16:9 LCD in instead. Usually you'd have me screaming bloody murder, but he did a good job of it.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22646

Advertisement