Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Might be worth shooting an email off to Mitch to see if he has any empty cab shells floating about? Sounds like an interesting project.

It should be okay fitting a 16:9, just use the bezel space to accommodate it and then create a new bezel for it.

This was an interesting project. A lad over on AO had an AWSD with no monitor and put a 16:9 LCD in instead. Usually you'd have me screaming bloody murder, but he did a good job of it.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22646

He's the same chap who made those rotate mechanisms so his craftsmanship is top notch. But for all his skills and the fact he'll do a better job than any of us could - a skinny little LCD in that type of candy just looks wrong imo. Serious amount of bezel. Personal preference and all that but he can't stand the look of a Vewlix but an LCD in an AWSD looks good? :confused:

Anyway, interesting project Enternow, be curious to see how you get on (please don't butcher a candy though! :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Anyway, interesting project Enternow, be curious to see how you get on (please don't butcher a candy though! :D).

Well it'll be a while away yet, I've zero money to throw at the project at this stage. I wouldn't be butchering any Candies though, ideally I'd find something that natively houses a 16:9 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    ideally I'd find something that natively houses a 16:9 :o

Vewlix? :pac:

Vewlix? :pac:

Exactly :D Is that the only option yeah? I seen clones that were listed on coinopexpress that are now discontinued, but they looked decent enough for what I want one for

Master of the Universe

There are Chinese Vewlix versions yeah. There were a good few lads importing them on AO from what I remember. Here's one here

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16548

You're still talking about 2k though I think!

There's also the Sega Lindbergh - ugly looking yolk I think.

DSCF1645.jpg

• Advertisement

You're still talking about 2k though I think!

Jeez for a clone? Nah, I'll have to re-evaluate the idea so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Well SF4 & SF4AE have been dumped & run perfectly under windows {much the same as they run under Windows XPe in their genuine form} so no I won't be putting the real hardware in it, but I wouldn't be emulating it either - because the software is designed to run under windows so no emulation is needed.

That's the Taito x2 arcadepc scenario?

That's the Taito x2 arcadepc scenario?

Thats the one :) I was thinking of having a customised Hyperspin setup that would allow me to select the different versions, ie SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE & maybe some of the other Taito Type X2 stuff thats now running

Master of the Universe

How about SF IV on a CRT with a tri sync? That'd love lovely.

Thats the one :) I was thinking of having a customised Hyperspin setup that would allow me to select the different versions, ie SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE & maybe some of the other Taito Type X2 stuff thats now running

I had a quick read of that before and I think there are difficulties getting arcadepc to launch through hyperspin. Required all sorts of hyperlaunch fccuking around.

I stand to be corrected on that though

• Advertisement

How about SF IV on a CRT with a tri sync? That'd love lovely.

Hmm, a HD game that is 16:9 though...curious as to how it'd look alright
    I had a quick read of that before and I think there are difficulties getting arcadepc to launch through hyperspin. Required all sorts of hyperlaunch fccuking around.

I stand to be corrected on that though

Yeah its possible that its messy to get running through HS...not sure. I have the running of the games simplified down to the execution of a batch file though...so if HS could be pointed at that it may work

Master of the Universe

Does it not have a 4:3 option no? Or do you just have 16:9 on the brain now? :pac:

Does it not have a 4:3 option no? Or do you just have 16:9 on the brain now? :pac:

Does it? I've not come across a setting for it in the dip settings anyway :confused:

Master of the Universe

I could have sworn I've seen it running on 4:3 candy cabs? Remember that super secret photo someone posted here ages ago of it running on an atomiswave?

Unless it was the xbox version..but I could have been sure it was the arcade one as that's what all the fuss was over.

Looks like the 360 version has 4:3 anyway

@enternow
    When your setting up the buttons in the arcade edition it asks you use low res monitor,
    I selected no first time and got widescreen,second time I selected yes and got full 16:9 res.

Yeah its possible that its messy to get running through HS...not sure. I have the running of the games simplified down to the execution of a batch file though...so if HS could be pointed at that it may work

Think batch files might be part of the HS solution alright

Is setting up arcadepc for experts only or can anyone get it running?

urbanledge wrote: »
    I selected no first time and got widescreen,second time I selected yes and got full 16:9 res.

Are they not both 16:9 though?
    Think batch files might be part of the HS solution alright

Is setting up arcadepc for experts only or can anyone get it running?

No its p1ss easy, you config your controls & then run one launcher to execute another one while in cmd line. I made a little batch file that runs them in order on a double click

Master of the Universe

For a moment there I was thinking he meant he selected low res and got 4:3.

For a moment there I was thinking he meant he selected low res and got 4:3.

Yeah maybe thats how you get 4:3, you select low-res mode?

Master of the Universe

Looks like SF IV can run in 31K. So you could get it going on a tri sync if it changes the display to 4:3.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4821

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe thats how you get 4:3, you select low-res mode?
    Yeah that's what I mean,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pretty sure I seem SF IV running on a regular CRT candy in Japan the last time I was there.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Pretty sure I seem SF IV running on a regular CRT candy in Japan the last time I was there.

Well if thats the case, I may as well just add it to my existing mame cab & save myself the expense :)

Have to repair the chassis first!

Well if thats the case, I may as well just add it to my existing mame cab & save myself the expense :)

Have to repair the chassis first!

I think its just a case of setting up the config to run in low res mode as someone mentioned before.
    (OPTIONAL) Run "typex_config.exe" to change controls:
    use mahjong panel <y/n>: Press N. You can mess with it later.
    four way joystick <y/n>: press N
    low-res monitor <y/n>: Y for 640x480; N for max resolution avaliable
    scratch drive remap path: Just press enter
    The next keys are:
    Player 1's buttons for UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, BUTTONS 1 to 6, Start, coin and service
    then Player 2's buttons for UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, BUTTONS 1 to 6, Start, coin and service
    then test menu and exit buttons.
    If you take too long (more than 5 secounds) to press the buttons, it'll be binded as "blank" (No key).

So you will need a trisync monitor for the 640x480 mode on it.

Steve SI wrote: »
    So you will need a trisync monitor for the 640x480 mode on it.

Damn, mine are both 15Khz only.

What would happen if I ran it on my cab, as I know the screen can do 640x480

What would happen if I ran it on my cab, as I know the screen can do 640x480

I'd say it would run fine then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Damn, mine are both 15Khz only.

One way to get SFIV running at 15Khz that I know of, is by using the 360 version and getting the 360 to output the low resolution. I used RGB scart to do it. Although putting a 360 in there is probably not what you were planning, I never played it long enough either to comment on how it actually looks at that res.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My Arcade Cab count increased last night from 7 to 18. haha. I picked up 11 cabs last night from cork for 250. They are filthy and total project cabs except for maybe 2. I havent had a chance to look at them really, but 9 of them have CRTS in them anyways. Most are really retro cabs, 3 or 4 Taito minis i think they are, and one Space Zap cab that looks like a pacman cabaret, which i will probably keep and do up in that style. Another is the same shape cab as my one i done up as Donkey Kong. One is also a Colossus old type fruit machine.

I havent had a look inside yet but based on a quick look, its possible one has galaxian in it and another Green Berret, based on artwork on the CPOs. One board i pulled out of a cab i left behind has konami on it, could be anything i guess. Ill stick up some picks when i clean them off.

I had to leave a sitdown cab behind called Tail Gunner 2, it was two big to fit in the van, had no game and the wood was falling apart at the bottom.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    My Arcade Cab count increased last night from 7 to 18. haha. I picked up 11 cabs last night from cork for 250. They are filthy and total project cabs except for maybe 2. I havent had a chance to look at them really, but 9 of them have CRTS in them anyways. Most are really retro cabs, 3 or 4 Taito minis i think they are, and one Space Zap cab that looks like a pacman cabaret, which i will probably keep and do up in that style. Another is the same shape cab as my one i done up as Donkey Kong. One is also a Colossus old type fruit machine.

I havent had a look inside yet but based on a quick look, its possible one has galaxian in it and another Green Berret, based on artwork on the CPOs. One board i pulled out of a cab i left behind has konami on it, could be anything i guess. Ill stick up some picks when i clean them off.

I had to leave a sitdown cab behind called Tail Gunner 2, it was two big to fit in the van, had no game and the wood was falling apart at the bottom.

11 more cabs??? Are you going to keep them all?

Advertisement