Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Bit crappy but will have to do for the moment, I really suck at drawing sprites so kept things very basic.

The uzebox kernel I'm using is well capable of NES quality graphics if you had the patience to do the graphics properly..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Beautiful boards safetyboy! They look in excellent condition. Ketsui too, impressive stuff sir. :)

@The Last Bandit: Did you program that intro yourself? Before you see HS launch? That's pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some results from the efforts with the cab, Mameui32 works, the games are properly proportioned at last, ran thru Hyperspin but not Hyperlaunch.
    Only issue now is that the version of MameUI doesn't seem to like the romset much!
    So, more research needed!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    @The Last Bandit: Did you program that intro yourself? Before you see HS launch? That's pretty cool.

Ya its running on a little AVR microcontroller and switches a relay to enable the VGA after the 40 or so seconds it takes the PC to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Some results from the efforts with the cab, Mameui32 works, the games are properly proportioned at last, ran thru Hyperspin but not Hyperlaunch.

I don't use hyperlaunch for mame. Hyperspin is designed to work with mame out of the box supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I did what the Kerb'ster suggested and removed the existing Mame .ini files, lo and behold, Battle Garegga in the right proportions!
    Well, the right proportions on a horizontally orientated screen.....
    Still, looks great!
    So, now it's going to be a small matter or trawling through the romset and pulling out the games I want, leaving the rest, the list right now is simply ridiculously long.
    Of course, nothing with Hyperspin is easy, so I have to then generate a new .xml to denote the games I actually have and have them and only them appear in onscreen.
    But, it was so nice finally to be able to play Robotron on a twin stick setup!

Next, get the blasted Sega Genesis emu to recognise the game filenames, keeps coming back and telling me it can't find them, and yet the emu is directed there and can run the games quite happily outside of Hyperspin, I swear this business is going to be the end of me!

Next, get the blasted Sega Genesis emu to recognise the game filenames, keeps coming back and telling me it can't find them, and yet the emu is directed there and can run the games quite happily outside of Hyperspin, I swear this business is going to be the end of me!

There are a couple of greatest hits kind of XML files for Hyperspin on their site which are a good place to start. Most of the crap majhong and adult titles are removed.

Also a group of apps called Hypertools that'll build you an XML file based on the roms you have, you can filter out clones/non-working/genre etc etc so can quickly build a list to suit yourself fairly quickly.

Hyperhq has a text box where you put the list of support extensions for roms, Genesis are usually 'smd', 'bin' or 'zip'

Keep at it , it's well worth the hassle in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't use hyperlaunch for mame. Hyperspin is designed to work with mame out of the box supposedly.

Same here, I don't use Hyperlaunch at all

HS will generate a log file, find it & check to see whats going on

I think im gonna stick with Maximus Arcade,
    Even reading this is making my piss boil :)

I got a program that generates an xml file from your rom set, pretty good, solved the issue with Fusion, via Hyperspin, not reading my romset right.
    There is no easy way to avoid using the keyboard and mouse to exit back to the front end without getting tricksy with key mapping or a script.
    Also the video card needs tweaking.

The fun never stops!

• Advertisement

There is no easy way to avoid using the keyboard and mouse to exit back to the front end without getting tricksy with key mapping or a script

1p Start & then 2p Start simultaneously always worked for me...its the *pac default escape/exit combo

EnterNow wrote: »
    1p Start & then 2p Start simultaneously always worked for me...its the *pac default escape/exit combo

Awesome Sauce!
    That works a treat, now to integrate the videos into it and we're laughing.
    Going to strip out the bulk of the MD titles as well, only leave the games suited to the arcade cabinet.
    Thunderforce IV looks sweet on it by the way!

Awesome Sauce!
    That works a treat, now to integrate the videos into it and we're laughing.
    Going to strip out the bulk of the MD titles as well, only leave the games suited to the arcade cabinet.
    Thunderforce IV looks sweet on it by the way!

Good stuff!
    Not sure if the PCE is on your agenda too but it also has some excellent games perfectly suited to cab play.

This thing is packed full of stuff, nearly every format known to man, too much choice and a lot that I'll never ever play, the Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800 romsets for example.
    So, I'll be doing some editing of the available options, PCE, MD and Snes arcade stuff and Mame should do it, not sure anything else is appropriate for the machine.
    Then, there'll be getting into the Mame game list itself and stripping out the crap, of which there is a lot!
    On an interesting note, I found that Galaga refused to run on 0.147 build of Mame, turns out now you need a bios file to get it to start, since version 0.133 anyway, another example of Mame gone mad.
    Also, Virtua Racing works very smoothly on the cab, which is a bonus, now to pick up an analogue controller to play it properly, the stick just doesn't do the job right.

Any care to offer some suggestions as to what are the best chd based mame games?

Want to prioritise the downloading of a few.

I'm guessing sf3 and ki1 and 2. Anything else?

Had a root about and there seems to have been a split in the development of Mame in the last year, perhaps everyone already knows about it, not sure!
    Turns out that they released a version, 0.143u7, that had Cave game support, or rather the SH-3 chipset titles.
    There was a copyright ruckus and the version of mame was dropped, and support for the SH-3 chipset was either removed or hampered, so it no longer ran them.
    HOWEVER.....
    There is unofficial progress elsewhere, with games like Deathsmiles and Ibara running well, although with the music off at times.
    Apparently Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets are both working too, although they are not easily found and I have the 360 version incoming anyhow.
    So, if that's your thang then have a google!
    It need not be said that rom requests will result in a beating or a night with Retr0, or both.... you have been warned!

Any care to offer some suggestions as to what are the best chd based mame games?

Want to prioritise the downloading of a few.

I'm guessing sf3 and ki1 and 2. Anything else?

Anyone??

Anyone??

The majority of the CHD games are still a bit of a waste of hdd space...as far ones that actually work & are playable...Area 51 ran fine but its a lightgun game, Carnevil too. SF3 & KI are prob the main ones to bother with?

mostly crap,
    I cant go back to SF3 after playing 4.
    4 is just so smooooth!

So, built a Shmups wheel in Hyperspin and have populated the list with every Shmup I can find in the romset, plus the Cave stuff that are now "unofficially" supported, all is well, aside from the couple of sound issues, it's a tad distracting during Espgaluda 2 but I don't mind as it will tide me over until it comes out on the 360!
    A few more tweaks to be done, getting the art to display properly when selecting, but so far so good!

• Advertisement

Now see isn't that a lot more fun than picking up a prebuilt disk and you know how the bloody thing works as well :)

I have sunk 20 hours into this thing, and I'm still not finished figuring it out!
    At some point I'll get back to In The Hunt and Robotron, those work, but before that I have to get the rest in line!

Thats why when your finished setting it all up & have everything running to a T...you never want to mess or change with a setting on it ever again :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats why when your finished setting it all up & have everything running to a T...you never want to mess or change with a setting on it ever again :p

And save a couple of copies on different drives - just in case !!!

I havent even added any additional games to mine since when I finished it. I initially had a full set on it, but its madness. You spend more time browsing than playing, so I cut it down to what I wanted to keep & left it at that

So, built a Shmups wheel in Hyperspin and have populated the list with every Shmup I can find in the romset, plus the Cave stuff that are now "unofficially" supported, all is well, aside from the couple of sound issues, it's a tad distracting during Espgaluda 2 but I don't mind as it will tide me over until it comes out on the 360!
    A few more tweaks to be done, getting the art to display properly when selecting, but so far so good!

Out of interest cidey, is your shmups game list much different to the shooter genre xml in hyperspin by default?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So I got my tinting film in the post today. I forgot it was windscreen sized so that's why it wouldn't fit in a parcel motel container :eek:

tint3_zps0d41bb1c.jpg

It's only a 30% tint. (looks a lot darker when rolled up obviously! :D)

tint2_zps8f238a8d.jpg

Hard to photograph, but I'm really pleased with the results. The goal of it is to join the screen up to the glass, so it doesn't look like 'a screen under glass' if you get me.

It also has the side effect at taking a bit of the monitor's glare away. Which makes it a lot easier to see the scanlines and looks more like an arcade display. Had to bump the brightness and contract up a bit to compensate.

tint_zps3bf8a152.jpg

But yeah, really good results. Especially for something so cheap. A hell of a lot cheaper than getting tinted glass.

Easy to apply too. You put water on the glass, water on the film, place the film on the glass and then can squeegee out the bubbles very easily to get a lovely finish.

scanlines_zpse059febd.jpg

Very nice. Those scanlines look cool. That's an LCD + SLG in action yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tis indeed :)

With the SLG and that edge taken off the screen harshness you could almost mistake it for a flat CRT.

• Advertisement

Out of interest cidey, is your shmups game list much different to the shooter genre xml in hyperspin by default?
    Well, because the Cave titles aren't part of the official release that aren't included in the xml of the full Mame release at least.
    Therefore I used a simple rom2xml list builder to create a custom xml for my Shmups.
    Deathsmiles remains choppy the though, even with the new Mame exe

Advertisement