Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

payment sent on Tuesday, maximum of 3 days for that to go through. So should be there tomorrow or friday, I'd say shipped early next week then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I'll have me rosemarry beads at the ready for the monitor.
    Folks have just had bad luck here recently.
    I think Ireland has some magnetic force that F$$ks them up when imported.:)

2 blasts in here in two weeks here...we must definitely have the most Candy's in a country per capita.
    viva la revelocion..can't wait to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

After much wanting of another cab, I might just get a .jp xbox 360 and leave it in my NNC and get the cave shooting collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    After much wanting of another cab, I might just get a .jp xbox 360 and leave it in my NNC and get the cave shooting collection.

I love how so many people in this forum now have cabs, the debate has moved on to whether to get a second cab or not :pac:

We should start a gang, sleeveless denim jackets and the lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Trying to keep all my monies out of the banks seems safest, thats my excuse anyway :)

Yeah its the best bet at the moment. Investment in arcade hardware is future proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah its the best bet at the moment. Investment in arcade hardware is future proof

I'd say some CPS3 owners thought so too at some point :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah pox!
    Can't get the PC for the cab working, won't output in 15Khz no matter what I do :(
    So, I'm stuck with MVS, and only three buttons at that (the fourth is wired into the J-Pac).
    Could be worse, but so too could have been sooo much better :(
    I'll just have to wait for the ArcadeVGA card to be returned from Ultimarc :(

Hate Waiting!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah pox!
    Can't get the PC for the cab working, won't output in 15Khz no matter what I do :(
    So, I'm stuck with MVS, and only three buttons at that (the fourth is wired into the J-Pac).
    Could be worse, but so too could have been sooo much better :(
    I'll just have to wait for the ArcadeVGA card to be returned from Ultimarc :(

Hate Waiting!

The Saphire X1600 Pro isn't listed as a compatible card, though the X1650 is & thats the one I use and it works. Perhaps that chipset just isn't compatible?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=119740.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The X1600 is compatible with the Calamity drivers alright - no need for soft15K when these are installed and setup. It's the same chipset as the 1650 just clocked a bit slower.
    Balls, Ciderman maybe the card I gave is borked as well :(

Did ya's see the galixian cab on adverts?
    I'd love it.shame it needs so much, shocking screen burn also

http://touch.adverts.ie/adult-themed-games/space-invaders/2854292

The X1600 is compatible with the Calamity drivers alright - no need for soft15K when these are installed and setup. It's the same chipset as the 1650 just clocked a bit slower

Ah I see, must be the card itself so as it sounds more or less plug & play 15Khz if using those drivers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know what the frak is going on, I set the thing up as described and.... nothing, it still outputs in a normal refresh rate....
    How can a video card be borked that works perfectly at the frequencies it's designed for, but not at the frequency that a set of hacked drivers wants to run it at?
    Feck, bugger, hairy b@stards!

Sounds like a nightmare!

Yeah, it seems to be one disaster after another.
    One of these days I'll just pull out the monitor and stick in a flat LCD!!!! Go maaaaad!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One of these days I'll just pull out the monitor and stick in a flat LCD!!!! Go maaaaad!

Would you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Well, I'm next to sitting in a window in St Brendans, blowing bubbles with my spit and making cat noises as it stands, given the experience with the cab, but I'm sure in a couple of decades I'll be able to laugh about it..... maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Anyone have a spare USA 3 pin mains plug that they would part with. Need one for my step down transformer.

Thanks guys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Managed to get some time working on turning my wrecked electrocoin xenon into a dedicated Tetris cab for my wife today. Didn't get the whole lot done as i have to spray a few pieces, coin doors etc and i didn't get the artwork on the other side done, but thought i would stick up a work in progress pic. You can see what it looked like before on the left.

Its coming along grand, i had some trouble with the artwork on the CPO, like an idiot i lined it up wrong and it was slightly off, its not bad but i hate when things don't turn out perfect, i stuck a bit of leftover black sticker along the top so its not really noticeable its not on correct.

.. have to say as well, I hate gluing on Tmolding, its the worst part of fixing these things up.

workinprogresstetris.png

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yes! Finally!!!

DSC_0220-1_zpsacdd1930.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wasn't sure where to post this. Got a pair of mini SLGs in the post today, basically a cheaper/smaller option than the SLG3000 - it add scanlines mainly for use on LCDs. I got them to test out on a Dell CRT - it natively has scanlines but they are very fine.

Note: it was quick difficult to get decent pics from the Dell because of reflections (and I haven't finished adjusting the display settings on the thing). There are no colour differences between no-slg and slg even if the pics suggest otherswise. Funnily enough my 21" Sony Trini is by far and away the easiest CRT to get decent pics of.

Scalar is outputting 640x480.

Mini SLG:

OVG75Th.jpg

Supergun to Dell setup (or any RGB scart console I guess).
    RGB scart -> Sync Strike -> VGA -> scalar -> mini-slg -> Vga to Dell CRT (or LCD).

bk7uc5S.jpg

No slg (native Dell scanlines):
    DVgwQU1.jpg

Slg (enhanced scanlines):
    wSbLvKJ.jpg

No slg:
    W13BTLG.jpg

Slg:
    bfSLwEz.jpg

Also hooked up the xbox 360 using a VGA cable. So no need for Sync Strike or scalar in this case. Just pop the mini slg between 360 vga cable and the Dell.

Ketsui No slg:
    mxuLD4y.jpg

Ketsui slg:
    3XsvSBL.jpg

As usual it does look better in the flesh. Very happy with them though, only $32 incl shipping from the States. No ability to adjust the thickness of the scanlines but compared to the SLG3000 which starts at €49 with no enclosure, no switch and excl shipping - I'm happy with them. :)

Bought them from here.

Master of the Universe

Thanks for the pics, this is something I was interested in seeing - PC CRTs used with SLGs. So it does 'thicken up' the scanlines then yeah? Brilliant.

Just to note that the SLG3000 doesn't actually have a thicken scanline pot - all the pot does is darken or brighten them. They stay the same size. Given the price difference, these are definitely the ones to go for.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thanks for the pics, this is something I was interested in seeing - PC CRTs used with SLGs. So it does 'thicken up' the scanlines then yeah? Brilliant.

Just to note that the SLG3000 doesn't actually have a thicken scanline pot - all the pot does is darken or brighten them. They stay the same size. Given the price difference, these are definitely the ones to go for.

Exactly, it has the effect of thickening the native scanlines on the Dell. I haven't tested it on an LCD as I never intend to use one for this type of stuff. But looking at the pics here, http://craftymech.com/gallery/, it seems to work very well on them too. My pics are a bit crappy tbh.

I only got them because they were cheap and to see if they would 'improve' the Dell CRT picture. I have 3 CRTs upstairs and this one will probably be used as my hori setup with the supergun. Didn't want to spend much on it really.

Good to know about the SLG3000. He makes some decent products but they're a bit pricey. The scalar I got from ebay is the exact same model as the one he sells for a few quid more.

Fancy selling me your spare one? :)

Master of the Universe

Yep, it's exactly the same scaler. I bought it from him along with the adapter that pulls Jamma video from a game board.

If I'd known it was that Chinese scaler you can get on ebay a lot cheaper I'd have just bought the adapter from him.

Have to find some use for them now after getting rid of that IKEA cab! Tempted to pick up one of those Dell CRTs.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Fancy selling me your spare one? :)

Sorry dude, it was never a spare as another boardsie wanted one.

If any ones getting one of these drop me a PM and we'll go spits!

Here's a short video of the above Dell setup in action using the mini SLG. Pretty decent picture I think. Did some more tweaking with the settings on the scalar and the Dell and very happy with the picture now. The scalar has some handy options for h-v/size and position (once you set the display language to English that is :pac:). The Dell has tons of display options and they're so quick and easy to access them using the on screen menu. The colours show up much better on this compared to the pics above.

• Advertisement

Tell me about Sega STV boards, are they region locked? Might pick one up soon, seem cheap enough to get started with.

Advertisement