Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'll be glad to hear that most of the games aren't region locked. :)

Some good reading here -

http://home.online.no/~tjaberg/stv/index.htm

It has some great games...but it's not as hardy as say, the MVS system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks, might see about trading my G-Net for an STV board, not using the former at all, although STV boards seem cheap enough, it's the carts that can be pricey!
    But might pick one up with something decent to start with.
    Also need to get another Supergun, the guy who's selling them is on Jamma+, cheaper there than Ebay, and have to get some sticks as well, damn my lack of sense, trading the two Neogeo sticks with DrBob!!!!
    Might just get the one that you hardwire a CP to, build one from scratch, cheaper and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LongyFromCork

Hi Guys,

When it comes to arcade displays, I've always believed that you just can't beat an old 15kHz arcade monitor. However, my heart is broken from them. The chassis's burn out and the tubes have screenburn, and you just can't buy them new anymore. So anytime I hear of an alternative that sounds promising I'm all ears.

A good alternate is to use a CRT TV via a SCART input. The SCART bypasses the TVs circuitry and gives a very similar picture to an arcade monitor. Having said that, for some reason I've found a TV is more straining on the eyes than an arcade monitor (I'm not sure why exactly). The other issue with this is that a CRT TV image needs to be shrunk down somewhat to fit neatly on the screen. The only way of doing this, is to access the service menu of the TV, by typing in a service 'code' on the remote which will then give you control over the H and V stretch options for the TV. Often it's difficult to find information on the service 'code' for the TV in question.

Which brings me to the next option....using a PC CRT monitor. This is an okay option, and if scanlines are selected in MAME it looks pretty good. But, the picture still still looks a tad too sharp and doesn't quite match that 'authentic' look of a real arcade monitor. On the plus side, there are no connectivity issues. On the downside, adding MAME scanlines on CRT PC monitor dims the image significantly, as a percentage of the image is used to simulate the scanlines. This is fine if your screen is exposed, or if you have a clear glass bezel, but if your bezel is tinted like mine is, the image gets very dark.

When I see products like these scanline generators, I'm curious to see if they offer a more authentic appearance than say MAME scanlines. Keeping in mind that more recent scanlines masks in MAME are quite good compared to earlier limited options. But, still no match for the real thing IMO.

Thats my take on it, let me know what you think...

Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

http://www.pinsane2.com/pinorama/events/MJ_09/kr/michael_jackson_arcade_entry.html

First time I've seen this..

Man that Peedo had it sussed big time , I'd drop my pantaloons any day of the week for "entry" to this arcade.
    SSF2,MK, VR, Aliens,Xmen cab, Neo Geo 4 slot....
    I'm hoping that Data east cab is Bad dudes.
    Notice he has one of those Ultra-arcade pieces of sh1t.
    Also by the door are two candies..A neo 29 I think, Not sure what the other is.

Master of the Universe

The other candy beside the door looks like a Jaleco Pony IV.

Say what you want about that man's personal life, but he sure had taste with games. Notice the Sega R360??

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ronnie has a Capcom Impress!

/major droolage

impress%20(1).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm impressed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

how much is he asking for it?

Quick!
    someone buy it!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wonder how easy that is to get through a doorway. Doesn't look like the cp comes off without taking the entire front half of the cab off, speakers aswell? :confused:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Looks like a similar job to the Astro I think? Take the bottom panel off and the top CP panel. If you look really closely, there's a join between the monitor surround and the bottom panel, so it doesn't look like the whole front needs to come off.

I don't think it's for sale yet, might even be already pre bought. I saw it over on Ronnie's thread on that NL forum. Seems to be where he posts things first :)

http://www.nozomi.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3151

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Someday I'll be divorced and able to afford such a thing, once it can fit in the doors of the cardboard box I'll be living in.....

Master of the Universe

You can build your cardboard palace around it :pac:

That Impresses looks sweet alright.

To fit em through a door they look like they come apart same way as the Astro alright.
    Remove CP, all screws on the sides,audio connector,chassis remote wires and then split in half!
    Pain in the arse
    Gekkefransen4.jpg

I remember the pain Pyongyang had getting his NAC in the door - the bolts on the sides were rusted to feck and had to be drilled out I think. Good thing it wasnt p1ssing rain that day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Seems like a lot of lads over there seem to get first dibs on cabs.

Some absolute minters there

Master of the Universe

Yeah there's a lost of first dibs going on there. I guess it happens when you're able to drive to Ronnie and pick one up in person :D

I love that Sega City, so classy.

City3.jpg

City1.jpg

ROAD TRIP!

I would definitely enjoy taking the drive to pick one up, although might be more cost effective to borrow a van and pick a couple up, divide the petrol and ferry costs up.
    Again, I'd be delivering it to the cardboard box my missus would have me living in if I bought one :(

Master of the Universe

Anyone have a van? Lets do this :D

• Advertisement

That cab is gorgeous!! Love the look of the grey surround and the cp is class. Is that tinted glass/plastic? Presume the game doesn't look that dark in person. Bottom right of the pic needs fixing though, the "INC." word is raised up quite a bit.

Master of the Universe

Yep that's what happens when you try and take a photo through tinted glass with a flash on.

I didn't notice the 'INC'. That's some funky geometry! Still, amazing cab. Unfortunately extremely rare too :(

I would definitly do this. not anytime soon because I just bought a cab. but high a big van or a small truck and do a cab run.

Some wheeling and dealing and things could work out a lot cheaper then the usual 800-1000 for a cab shipped

Never saw those Sega city's before
    Really like the look of them.Are they the predecessor to the Astro?

Master of the Universe

They are indeed. Here's a few in an old style Japanese arcade (next to a beautiful Capcom status!). The one in the middle even has an After Burner stick bolted to it :eek:

japanese_arcade_games_21.jpg?w=720&h=478

dscn7573.jpg

They remind me of a nicer, silver version of the SNK Candy 18

DSCN9038.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Hey, has anyone here any experience with Coinops? I have it on a modded xBox and would like to set up the xBox to boot straight to Coinops.

I know there is a way of setting it up but if it isn't done right ya can feck it up altogether! I don't trust myself to do it right :)

anyone here that could maybe do it for me? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone here any experience with Coinops? I have it on a modded xBox and would like to set up the xBox to boot straight to Coinops.

I know there is a way of setting it up but if it isn't done right ya can feck it up altogether! I don't trust myself to do it right :)

anyone here that could maybe do it for me? Cheers!

Haven't messed around with a modded Xbox in years, as far as i remember you need to change the default.xbe that the xbox is booting to a coinops one you've created using xbe maker or similar
    Even if you do it wrong you should still be able to SSH to it to fix

Master of the Universe

Quick lads, yes or no, yes on no?! :eek:

DSC_0004-3_zps34c0f727.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Quick lads, yes or no, yes on no?! :eek:

DSC_0004-3_zps34c0f727.jpg

You already know the answer dude :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Really depends on the price. If it's reasonable I will. If it's a bit mental I may have to pass...and cry myself to sleep at night!

Advertisement