Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's good to keep an eye on all three, there's no real consistency as to where they're posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

How much does he charge for the pony's or the astro citys?

Master of the Universe

Astros tend to be really really cheap. Probably the best deal you'll get. Some of them can even be sub €500

http://www.rklok.com/Shop/Arcade/item.php?item=16

Pony's...er...multiply that by 2.5! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I need a pony I can fall asleep on, they look comfy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Finished the other side of my Tetris cab today, Artwork and TMolding. added back on the Coin eject parts on the bottom. Wired up joysticks and Buttons and stuck the game in. Just waiting on my bro to spray the speaker grill part black that goes over the cpo there, then i can stick the tetris bezel on the glass, put it in, and its all done.

IMG_5161.jpg

Here is the "before" of that cab, to put it in perspective! You can see the speaker part on the before, i have that sanded down waiting to be sprayed black, im only waiting on that to be done to finish it off, i have artwork to go on the glass too.

IMG_4068.jpg

Lineup..

IMG_5171.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Quality job, where did you get the artwork done ?

Master of the Universe

Fair play man, some transformation!

Quality job, where did you get the artwork done ?

Cheers, fixed it up myself in photoshop and a friends brother works in a printing place, they do signs for google etc i think. he printed them off for me as a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You have a very understanding partner keithgeo - While I have a man cave, I couldn't see my ever having cabs in the dining room :)

Cabs in the dining room/sitting room is the only way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lovely setup Keith and fair play to you for putting in all the hard graft to get it to that state. :cool:
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    You have a very understanding partner keithgeo - While I have a man cave, I couldn't see my ever having cabs in the dining room :)

That reminds me, saw the below pic on ylyl the other day and thought it was apt for some of the chaps on here. :pac:

4kMSb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

:D:D

@Keith, remember the twp Taito cabs I bought from you? Say I wanted to put blank vinyls on the sides of them, just plain black for example...do I need to know the exact measurements/dimensions of the cab? Or is the vinyl applied & then cut to shape?

Also, is the new tmoulding difficult to fit? How is it done?

I always get them printed bigger than the cab. Use a squirty bottle with water mixed with a drop of washing up liquid. spray on the sticky side, then line it up, i have a credit card type thing with material on one end and i "squeegee" the artwork on using that, sliding out the bubbles, because the back is wet you can lift it off easily enough and place it back on until you get it right. Then i cut the artwork around the edge of the cab, leaving a little bit overhanging so i can bend over the edge and under the tmolding when im applying it. that way it looks like the artwork is going right over the edge and under the TM.

Tmolding is best to get from tmolding.com they are by far the cheapest ive seen, and even though its in the states its really quick shipping. it works out cheaper than buying off ebay or gremlin solutions. you will need a glue gun too from b&q if you dont have one and a pack of glue tubes. not sure if those cabs actually have a router slot cut in them do they? they might have iron on edging on them? cant remember..

keithgeo wrote: »
    Tmolding is best to get from tmolding.com they are by far the cheapest ive seen, and even though its in the states its really quick shipping. it works out cheaper than buying off ebay or gremlin solutions. you will need a glue gun too from b&q if you dont have one and a pack of glue tubes. not sure if those cabs actually have a router slot cut in them do they? they might have iron on edging on them? cant remember..

Cheers Keith, so the vinyl sounds handy enough to do then. Re the moulding, I'm not really sure I'll have to remove a bit & see. If there's no router slot, where does that leave me? Or is there flat moulding you can get thats just hot glued on in that case?

ive seen flat stuff before i think you iron it on. ive seen it used on normal furniture in the past as well not just arcades. if you have a router, routing the slot is easy aswell. you just line it up and slide the router around the edge. you have a couple of different options i guess. I would nearly route it if you are getting arwork for the sides, because it will be easier to finish off the edges of the artwork over the sides and under Tmolding, not sure how that would work out with iron on stuff.

Cheers Keith, no router atm but I'll concentrate on getting the cabs functional again before I worry too much about cosmetics. Cheers for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Wheres the best place to buy old retro sticks for a cab please folks.

Preferably online.

Master of the Universe

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to buy old retro sticks for a cab please folks.

Preferably online.

Depends on the quality. If you want the best, get Japanese Seimitsu sticks. Can order them through this ebay store.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIMITSU-LS-56-01-ARCADE-JOYSTICK-RED-BALL-TOP-/370497753751?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item5643631297

Unless you need sticks for a woodie cab, then Happ are the preferred choice I think. ebay or gremlinsolutions.co.uk should have what you need.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Unless you need sticks for a woodie cab, then Happ are the preferred choice I think. ebay or gremlinsolutions.co.uk should have what you need.

Heathen!!! :D Happ are only the preferred choice of those who don't know any better ;)

In all seriousness though, ball tops look great on a wood cab too. Had a pair of red ones on a leisure 2000

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Heathen!!! :D Happ are only the preferred choice of those who don't know any better ;)

In all seriousness though, ball tops look great on a wood cab too. Had a pair of red ones on a leisure 2000

Dunno man, if I had a woodie then I'd have to put Happs in there, look more authentic to me. Not saying ball tops never appeared on a woodie cab but I dont ever remember seeing them as a kid.

Not sure the default Seimitsu mounting would suit that type of cab either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I'd be with Andrew on this. Bat tops on woodies (oh er missus) look better and more authentic than ball tops.

I'd have to agree too, bat tops on woodies was the way I remember playing them in the arcades. Ball tops do look ok on them, just not as authentic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Why not seimitsu's or sanwa's with bat tops on them? Best of both works as it looks authentic but you have decent sticks in there.
    I've adapters for mine if I ever have a stroke and want bat tops on my candy :)

Master of the Universe

That's interesting as authentic to me was always ball top. :)

All the Neo Geo electrocoin cabs I played growing up had ball tops.

cdim_imgp1481.jpg

Then things like Smash TV

my-smashtv-front.JPG

Classic cabs

donkey_kong_cabinet.jpg

Sega Naomi cabs all over the place in Irish arcades

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR9M48GpJDXrlNzJ3N949mijZbQSgcgbOMNLtXOhGmnrxIBAW06A

All Konami cabs had ball tops

1674235-xmen_2.jpg

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles.jpg

118124217428.jpg

1067372944.jpg

Bat tops seemed to be very popular on fighting cabs here. Midway ones like Mortal Kombat and the Street Fighter 2 iterations too. I was never a big fighting game head though so didn't really go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Joust, PacMan, Frogger, Space Invaders, Phoenix, Galaga, Galaxians ... al the old woodies used ball tops you Heathens !

Master of the Universe

Hey Urbanledge, here's the marquee with art in it like you were asking earlier. Looks spot on!

2013-05-21232831_zpsbef553da.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Looking at that wallpaper never gets old :D

Master of the Universe

Best wallpaper ever! I'm tearing it off the walls and bringing it with me when I move out :D

managed to get both cabs on simultaneously for a blast earlier. Had to take a quick recording :). Shame they're not side by side, but nothing I can do about that at the mo.

Listen to the whine of that CPS2 fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Very nice .

My OCD forces me to place the correct marquee whenever I put in a new game !

Advertisement