Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

Keep this emulation blasphemy out of the arcade talk forum please!:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

urbanledge wrote: »
    Keep this emulation blasphemy out of the arcade talk forum please!:P:P:P

Ah without emulation, arcade gaming just wouldn't be feasible in the home, at least not in any affordable way. There's far too many good games that'd be missed out on due to expense & rarity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Which Apple Mac thingy what that? An 'old skool' iMac?

Its a minty condition iMac G3 in blue.
    I ran MAME on it and it looks great on the little CRT(really nice actually). It'll never be powerful enough to run it the way I like so I'm looking at options to get some sort of small PC hooked up to the CRT.

ejd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

EnterNow wrote: »
    Bah, get rid of the pc version of SSFIV & grab the Taito Type X2 version, the real version. Practically identical, but that 'Insert Coin' makes all the difference

Will that run on a PC?

Achilles wrote: »
    Will that run on a PC?

Taito Type X hardware is a pc ;) The protection has been defeated for some time now, & as such, you can run the software on any pc that meets the requirements, rather than the specific pc hardware the cabs use

l_taitotypex2.jpg

I've successfully ran SFIV, & SSFIV on my pc. Though the version of SSFIV floating around is from a 1p cab setup, so maybe keep the pc version there too for 2 player goodness

• Advertisement

Will that run on a PC?

yep,
    The real arcade version is based on a pc so its 100% original.
    no emulation

I think its only 1 player ,I might be wrong

Yes I may or may not have already logged in to my server at home to download an iso of the Taito Type X2 version.

Aherm...

Thanks lads, must test this when I get home. How easy is it to map to buttons in the cab etc?

Thanks lads, must test this when I get home. How easy is it to map to buttons in the cab etc?

Very easy. There was a thread here a few months ago, can't remember what it was called, where we were discussing it. I posted up a few pics, & created a batch file to launch the game from a single 'double click'.

I must add that to hyperspin. There is a certain joy to be had alright to have to press my 'Press for Credit' buttons to insert a coin. :-)

Not sure how easy it is to add to HS, but there's some discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056896695

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not sure how easy it is to add to HS, but there's some discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056896695

Should be easy enough with some basic AutoHotKey scripting.
    Which I'm sure has been discussed over on the Hyperspin forums.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Should be easy enough with some basic AutoHotKey scripting.
    Which I'm sure has been discussed over on the Hyperspin forums.

I'm hoping that I can just point it to a batch file and let Hyperlaunch do it's magic.

I'm hoping that I can just point it to a batch file and let Hyperlaunch do it's magic.

Well you'll want hyperspin to exit the game on the usual exit command so some AutoHotKey scripting will be required. But it's very minimal.

Well you'll want hyperspin to exit the game on the usual exit command so some AutoHotKey scripting will be required. But it's very minimal.

There's a script in the thread posted previously that should launch it properly. I'll give it a go when I get home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,957 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We have Rastan Saga picture! I got a right shock when I switched it on as I thought it was dead.

No sound - but better than a dead board ;)

2013-06-21212858_zps4af9ce20.jpg

Also came across a working Euro Champ PCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Came home from holidays to find my edge connectors have arrived, i'll get going on them this sunday and get myself back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    We have Rastan Saga picture! I got a right shock when I switched it on as I thought it was dead.

Result :D

Does this board need -5V for the audio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Its a minty condition iMac G3 in blue.
    I ran MAME on it and it looks great on the little CRT(really nice actually). It'll never be powerful enough to run it the way I like so I'm looking at options to get some sort of small PC hooked up to the CRT.

ejd.jpg

BOOM! via this page

Master of the Universe

Result :D

Does this board need -5V for the audio ?

Ah man, of course! How did I miss that. I guess I've never put a PCB in my SNK cab that required -5v before.

Just did a bit of googling and that looks like audio needs -5v alright! So that's is more than likely one working Rastan board. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

yep that was a present

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

yep that was a present

You're like the Santa Claus of arcade boards :D Thanks for that dude!

Master of the Universe

By the way Mitch, that Capcom Bowling PCB you were talking about - what the hell is going on there?! :D That is beyond weird.

I first thought it was a 100% boot - but then there's a Capcom logo printed on the PCB. So I looked up pictures of the original board and it's identical to this one. Bar a few caps which are different sizes.

I wonder did they take a different Capcom game which used these little boards (I've never seen it before) and converted it to Capcom Bowling?

The really weird thing though is the extremely weird chip they added is absolutely tiny.

2013-06-21225716_zps67c17c87.jpg

They even added a little podium for the chip and everything :D

2013-06-21225740_zpsdb1700ee.jpg

2013-06-21225750_zps245a7d22.jpg

2013-06-21225756_zps73ab289a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Yep thats one of the best hacks I have seen, and I seen a few, i dont know what was going on there but hey it works !!! good score on the the rastan saga

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, the Kerb'ster worked his black arts upon my AWSD cab and built me a stereo amp and leads for the thing, now I can play games, badly, in STEREOPHONIC SOUND!!!
    Which is all kinds of awesome.
    I'll get him to post the how-to and what-not soon, so others may benefit from his genius,

So Say We All.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, the Kerb'ster worked his black arts upon my AWSD cab and built me a stereo amp and leads for the thing, now I can play games, badly, in STEREOPHONIC SOUND!!!
    I'll get him to post the how-to and what-not soon, so others may benefit from his genius,

So Say We All.....

Ha! Coincidentally I got my mame audio hooked up this afternoon too! Made a short hook up video which ill post later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

No sound - but better than a dead board ;)

2013-06-21212858_zps4af9ce20.jpg

Baastardo..love Rastan.
    Great score...ill swap ya a Euro champ PCB for it:)
    Imagine having two of them,sleep on it and come back to me later.
    These decisions shouldn't be taken half heartedly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

So Say We All.....

Just took a pair of old JBL PC speaker/amp combos, took the amp PCB out, removed the old cabling/connectors and wired in photo outputs. Some hot glue is your friend to ensure the cables are well secured to the amp PCB. The phono outputs then connected to a small adapter i made to connect directly to the F stereo input of the AtomiswaveSD cab. Luckily the speaker amp took 12V so thats wired directly into the cabs PSU.

Turns out the PSU in Ciderman's cab isn't orignal and it will work on 220V and the monitor (from the manual) is also a 110-220V so might just wire up the cab to be 220V and be gone with the massive step-down transformer! Also need to make the PSU a little safer as the AC connections aren't covered/protected as much as I would like.

Remember kids, be careful out there.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just took a pair of old JBL PC speaker/amp combos, took the amp PCB out, removed the old cabling/connectors and wired in photo outputs. Some hot glue is your friend to ensure the cables are well secured to the amp PCB. The phono outputs then connected to a small adapter i made to connect directly to the F stereo input of the AtomiswaveSD cab. Luckily the speaker amp took 12V so thats wired directly into the cabs PSU.

Turns out the PSU in Ciderman's cab isn't orignal and it will work on 220V and the monitor (from the manual) is also a 110-220V so might just wire up the cab to be 220V and be gone with the massive step-down transformer! Also need to make the PSU a little safer as the AC connections aren't covered/protected as much as I would like.

Remember kids, be careful out there.

Can't get any safer than doubling back some copper wire and jamming it into a female PSU molex. :-)

Hey guys quick question... I have a few plotters and decent A3 quality laser printers at my disposal in work.

It'd be a shame to pay a printer to do practically what I could do here in house.

So... anybody know what would be the best material to purchase to print out an arcade marquee?

Everything has to be either inkjet friendly (for the A0 plotter) or preferably A3 laser friendly.

Some kind of backlit film that'll diffuse the light nicely. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And, when you figure it out, I'll be booking a new moves list sheet for my AWSD!

Advertisement