Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

well..I got my cab open for the first time today..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah they def arn't game pcb's anyway. Everyone should have a Terminator mask for eye protection!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The cocktail tables have boards similiar to that in them and they are for the power supply alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Unfortunately I can't really listen to the video as I'm at work, but it looks like you have a great base to work from there. I can't wait to see how this project pans out.

Have you tried to power it on? Or is it too much of a fire hazard? :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't really listen to the video as I'm at work, but it looks like you have a great base to work from there. I can't wait to see how this project pans out.

its way too much of a fire hazard tbh (30 years+water damage , +rusted pieces on floor of cab=mushroom cloud)Also I've no monitor or games pcbs :).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I guess in this case, no monitor is probably a good thing as it means you don't have to remove/dispose of one.

So gut her like a fish and start fresh! :)

Def too much of a risk given the age/condition. To restore it to jamma, it'd need a new switching psu & a new jamma loom

Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Dr Bob wrote: »
    its way too much of a fire hazard tbh (30 years+water damage , +rusted pieces on floor of cab=mushroom cloud)Also I've no monitor or games pcbs :).

i turned on two of these that had game boards in them, not sure which ones now, one of them worked, Steve_SI has that one, the other had a weird graphic on screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Spotted that alright, silly price imo and it doesn't even include shipping. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Balls! Starting to develop issues with my Pony monitor. :(

I had it running in the room this evening and noticed that whenever the screen went completely white, there was an audible frequency sound.

Was playing Ibara and parts of the screen had a very slight wobble to them. Watched it for a while - then got some fright, the image started developing vertical collapse - would jump down a bit and then expand back out again.

Turned it off, tried another board and same thing. Balls!!!!!!

/Edit - seems to be running fine now. I'd imagine it's a precursor to it happening more. Might be caps going bad. Contacted Ronnie, but I think I'll send the chassis off to that chap on Jamma+

keithgeo wrote: »
    i turned on two of these that had game boards in them, not sure which ones now, one of them worked, Steve_SI has that one, the other had a weird graphic on screen.

The one I have in the house at the mo probably had some water damage , (based on the way the wood is warped badly at the bottom , replacing the bit around the coin box is on the cards btw)and a good chunk of the (freaky)PSU has detached and is in several parts on the bottom of the cab so there's no way it'd work!

Master of the Universe

Do you know what? I think it's that damn fancy airlink step down under supplying voltage to the monitor. First it wasn't supplying enough for the marquee - I wonder has it deteriorated even more and wasn't supplying enough to the monitor.

Tried the 110v cheapo step down and it's working fine! No squeal when the monitor goes bright, image isn't collapsing...!

Master of the Universe

...and it's still working fine. So ironically, the crazy expensive step down I bought to protect the cab resulted in all of this. How incredibly annoying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Who needs the drama of a war in Syria when we have O1s1n and his Pony cab woes right here!
    Send in the troops!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Who needs the drama of a war in Syria when we have O1s1n and his Pony cab woes right here!
    Send in the troops!

I was seriously ready to murder :pac:

Do you reckon the unit itself is just faulty? Was it powering both cabs at the time or just one? Gotta say mine has never skipped a beat, rock solid.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you reckon the unit itself is just faulty? Was it powering both cabs at the time or just one? Gotta say mine has never skipped a beat, rock solid.

Just the one! Either the step down is faulty or the mains is under supplying power. Cant see it being the mains though a I've never had an issue with anything else.

Contacted the Airlink guys anyway to see what they think.

Just the one! Either the step down is faulty or the mains is under supplying power. Cant see it being the mains though a I've never had an issue with anything else.

Contacted the Airlink guys anyway to see what they think.

Did you try it with the other cab? See if it gives problems there too. Hopefully you won't have to pay any return postage if they offer to take it back etc.

did you put a meter on the out put of the transformer when its under load?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I had a fun few hours last night

IMG_20130626_090407_zpsbc737577.jpg

But it was worth it

IMG_20130626_090930_zps7fe2d1be.jpg

please excuse the horrible CP setup, turnes out what was causing problems in the first place was the virtsticks I had

Good work!
    Thats a repo (or at least a factory repo form sanwa)CP if you didnt know!
    I have the same one.
    Its got licensed by sega on it and the colours are different!
    Top quality craftsman ship.
    How do you find the marquee light?Mines mega bright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Fairly bright now, but not overly!

Just have one issue, the speakers are whistling a bit and the music on the board is ****ed up a bit, using a 2000-1 board, Anyone have an idea what it could be. Insufficient shielding over the speaker connections on the edge connector?

Pretty sure thats it, I'll resolder them and redo the heatshrink

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Fairly bright now, but not overly!

Just have one issue, the speakers are whistling a bit and the music on the board is ****ed up a bit, using a 2000-1 board, Anyone have an idea what it could be. Insufficient shielding over the speaker connections on the edge connector?

Pretty sure thats it, I'll resolder them and redo the heatshrink

Probably interference from the light itself so yeah, insufficient shielding I'd say.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Did you try it with the other cab? See if it gives problems there too. Hopefully you won't have to pay any return postage if they offer to take it back etc.

I tried it on the other cab when I first got it and the marquee wasn't lighting up on that either. Bit freaked out to test it further with cabs after the issues it was giving the monitor - twas a bit scary! :(
    urbanledge wrote: »
    did you put a meter on the out put of the transformer when its under load?

I've measured voltage on boards with a multimeter, but have no clue how to do it on a step down. Any ideas?

Would it be cost prohibitive to just obtain a PSU that'll handle our voltages to power the cabs?

Achilles wrote: »
    Would it be cost prohibitive to just obtain a PSU that'll handle our voltages to power the cabs?

Was going to suggest this myself. Is it expensive to convert a cab to 220v?

Master of the Universe

To do that, wouldn't the monitor itself need to be dual voltage?

The internal PSU powers the game board, speakers etc. The monitor draws power directly from the mains from what I know.

I doubt the monitor itself would be powered purely by AC but then again I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. :-)

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    I doubt the monitor itself would be powered purely by AC but then again I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. :-)

Both my Ridge Racer cab & Tekken 3 cabs have Polo 25's that are mains powered, so yeah I think the monitor would need to be dual voltage o1s1n

Advertisement