Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's really great to see something restored like this alright. I've always found that smoked glass creates a great old timey arcade effect - the LCD looks great behind it.

There's a good MAME config to add scanlines and a CRT curve effect - you would almost believe it's a CRT. I'd say those effects running behind smoked glass would look even more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's really great to see something restored like this alright. I've always found that smoked glass creates a great old timey arcade effect - the LCD looks great behind it.

There's a good MAME config to add scanlines and a CRT curve effect - you would almost believe it's a CRT. I'd say those effects running behind smoked glass would look even more realistic.

Any info about how to create that CRT curve effect?

Would look well in my own cab too. :-)

Master of the Universe

You can easily enter it into the mame.ini file. Try one of the latest versions as it may not be supported in earlier ones.

I think this is the one I used.

#
    # DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
    #
    hlsl_enable 1
    hlslpath hlsl
    hlsl_ini_read 0
    hlsl_ini_write 0
    hlslini %g
    hlsl_prescale_x 0
    hlsl_prescale_y 0
    hlsl_preset -1
    hlsl_write
    hlsl_snap_width 1920
    hlsl_snap_height 1080
    shadow_mask_alpha 0.15
    shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
    shadow_mask_x_count 1280
    shadow_mask_y_count 720
    shadow_mask_usize 0.09375
    shadow_mask_vsize 0.09375
    curvature 0.0
    pincushion 0.06
    scanline_alpha 1.00
    scanline_size 1.00
    scanline_height 0.7
    scanline_bright_scale 1.5
    scanline_bright_offset 0.60
    scanline_jitter 0.05
    defocus 0.8,0.8
    converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
    converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
    radial_converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
    radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
    red_ratio 1.0,0.0,0.0
    grn_ratio 0.0,1.0,0.0
    blu_ratio 0.0,0.0,1.0
    saturation 1.3
    offset 0.0,0.0,0.0
    scale 1.0,1.0,1.0
    power 1.0,1.0,1.0
    floor 0.03,0.03,0.03
    phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0
    yiq_enable 0
    yiq_cc 3.59754545
    yiq_a 0.5
    yiq_b 0.5
    yiq_o 0.0
    yiq_p 1.0
    yiq_n 1.0
    yiq_y 3.0
    yiq_i 1.2
    yiq_q 0.6
    yiq_scan_time 52.6
    yiq_phase_count 2

Ends up looking something like this. Scanlines, mimics the CRT curve, mine even had some slight rainbow banding on it and an effect which made it look like CRT glass. Was really impressive.

37927-sf3-thirdstrike.jpg

Master of the Universe

Great thread here on shmups.com with guys playing about.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026&start=120

Check out this before and after.

tmnt_source.jpg

tmnt_HLSL_reisze.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The CRT curve effect is under the "Pincushion" option in "HLSL" in MAME if you're using one of the UI versions. Have a bit of a play around with it to see what looks best on your cab/setup!

• Advertisement

The CRT curve effect is under the "Pincushion" option in "HLSL" in MAME if you're using one of the UI versions. Have a bit of a play around with it to see what looks best on your cab/setup!

Thanks everyone! Now if I could only replicate the effect in other emulators...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

cheers ,I really wish I'd more of a budget to do the machine up as it kills me to use the LCD and not to be able to keep the original controls/overlays etc.I'll add them eventually I guess.
    I have it set up now that I can turn the monitor and the makeshift bezel and have it either horizontal or vertical within a minute or so .Downside is the 5 minutes of mame adjustments afterwards..!
    The oddball version of MAME I run (mame32 0.90) has scanline control built in , but not the pincushion stuff, a later version does have it but turning on the HLSL stuff seems to blackscreen it. Might try a original MAME with that ini file and see how I get on(also probably none of my romset will work!).
    Going to try and adjust the coin mech for 20c peices, (its fiddly but I think I can see 2 parts to adjust.
    AS for the other cab , tbh I'm probably going to hang on to it , at least for now , as I had a look and its in much much better nick than the one I was working on so it may be safe enough to plug in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Watched your videos yesterday, great to see that cab up and running. Another lad who bought one off me originally has one working now too, he had a post up over on jamma+.

That pin cushion effect is cool, never new you could do that, must try get that going on my own mame cab.

o1s1n you are a god among men. Just applied that ini file to mame there and loaded it via hyperspin.

WOW! I never realised why people make such a big deal about scanlines etc but with the scanlines, the curving effect and the rainbow banding (noticed that alot on the Super Street Fighter II Demo) I am seriously impressed.

It's not 100% perfect but it looks so close to CRT that I actually stopped noticing it after a while and felt like that I was gaming away on a real arcade machine.

It's such a pity now that I can't apply that same effect to other emulators. I wonder if there's a way...

Seriously impressed man, well done and thanks so much for the head's up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Where the best place to be ordering arcade buttons and joysticks?

• Advertisement

Where the best place to be ordering arcade buttons and joysticks?

I always order from arcadeworlduk.com, used to be gremlinsolutions. use parcel motel for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Having resigned myself to defeat, & admitting a sit down driving cab even if disassembled is never going to fit through my house due to the narrow hallway at the hall door, the thought struck me....why not build one? However, not being a lover of diy cabs, this is a problem.

But then I got further thinking, why not make something that covers arcade racers, as well as high end pc sims/racers too...an all in one driving kiosk thingy is you will.

Something I'll likely mull over for ages, but it has me interested...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Having resigned myself to defeat, & admitting a sit down driving cab even if disassembled is never going to fit through my house due to the narrow hallway at the hall door, the thought struck me....why not build one? However, not being a lover of diy cabs, this is a problem.

But then I got further thinking, why not make something that covers arcade racers, as well as high end pc sims/racers too...an all in one driving kiosk thingy is you will.

Something I'll likely mull over for ages, but it has me interested...

That would be class. Not cheap if you want to buy a decent racing seat and steering wheel etc - although cheaper than a sitdown Outrun cab I would imagine and much more flexible if you go the PC route! I have that WheelStandPro and the old GT Logitech wheel, they make a massive difference to racing games, no proper seat unfortunately.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That would be class. Not cheap if you want to buy a decent racing seat and steering wheel etc - although cheaper than a sitdown Outrun cab I would imagine and much more flexible if you go the PC route! I have that WheelStandPro and the old GT Logitech wheel, they make a massive difference to racing games, no proper seat unfortunately.

Yeah I'd prob source a real car seat if doing it. Twould be a monster project, & costly too as I'd be looking to run some fancy pc racers. The other problem then is I'd need to put in a 16:9 lcd, to get the best out of the pc end of things. Not sure how easily I could then switch to to something like Outrun, in 4:3. I suppose it's just software trickery I'd need to get to grips with, & a hardware scanline generator too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah I'd prob source a real car seat if doing it. Twould be a monster project, & costly too as I'd be looking to run some fancy pc racers. The other problem then is I'd need to put in a 16:9 lcd, to get the best out of the pc end of things. Not sure how easily I could then switch to to something like Outrun, in 4:3. I suppose it's just software trickery I'd need to get to grips with, & a hardware scanline generator too.

3D screen with Nvidia 3D vision 2 glasses??
    That's how I play Dirt 3 etc, good craic :0)

Steve SI wrote: »
    3D screen with Nvidia 3D vision 2 glasses??
    That's how I play Dirt 3 etc, good craic :0)

What are the 3D screens like for 2d stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

What are the 3D screens like for 2d stuff?

Awesome!!

I didnt buy my 3D screen for the 3D (it's a nice plus though). I bought it for the true 120hz refresh. Silky smooth gameplay :)

The PC doesn't need to be uber beefy to run most modern racers. I got a €30 last gen card off of adverts and it runs the likes of Burnout Paradise flawlessly at a decent resolution.

Achilles wrote: »
    The PC doesn't need to be uber beefy to run most modern racers. I got a €30 last gen card off of adverts and it runs the likes of Burnout Paradise flawlessly at a decent resolution.

Wouldn't be overly interested in those type of games, I'm talking about fully modded Richard Burns Rally etc, & the newer proper sim stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wouldn't be overly interested in those type of games, I'm talking about fully modded Richard Burns Rally etc, & the newer proper sim stuff.

Thanks for reminding me about that. Bought it a while back on PC and downloaded a rake of mods for it, proper sim that is. :cool:

Oh and if you've never played Grand Prix legends then that is a must, an old game so you won't need a kick ass PC. Feels superb to pilot those old cars.

Did you ever trial that iRacing? Played it for a while and it was pretty cool, need a decent chunk of time to get the most out of it though.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me about that. Bought it a while back on PC and downloaded a rake of mods for it, proper sim that is. :cool:

Oh and if you've never played Grand Prix legends then that is a must, an old game so you won't need a kick ass PC. Feels superb to pilot those old cars.

Did you ever trial that iRacing? Played it for a while and it was pretty cool, need a decent chunk of time to get the most out of it though.

A lot of rally sim fans maintain the RBR engine is by far & away one of if not the best rally sim engine out there. With the modern mods, the game is really really good, but definitely not something you'd be using WASD for...proper wheel pedal setup would be mandatory.

Cheers for Grand Prix Legends, never knew about that. Will check it out.

iRacing is sub only isn't it? I looked at it on YT, incredible looking

Something like this, say integrated into a sit down driving setup, with proper surround sound, high end graphics, & the ability to switch into a mame-driving system for Outrun, Daytona, Sega Rally, Rave Racer etc etc.

Something along the lines of a DIY version of this would be what I have in mind

pole-position-II-cockpit.jpg

Master of the Universe

That would be amazing :) I was going to suggest using an existing racer as a template but see you already have that idea covered!

Time for me to show off a little bit... Hope you guys like this!

Master of the Universe

I thought that bartop was a lot smaller! It's really not until you have a frame of reference (like a person sitting beside it!) to tell how big it actually is.

Looks absolutely brilliant, I'd say you're chuffed with it :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd say you're chuffed with it :)

Yeah just a little bit :-)

I just wish I could employ somebody (for free mind) to look after all of the software configuration for it. Setting up emulators is a right pain in the arse.

Then of course there's also the fact that I want three different control mechanisms for it so I'm going to have to remap all the buttons to buttons on the keyboard and then use xpadder to map the steering wheel and xbox 360 controller to the same buttons. Now that's going to be a pain.

Once it's all done though and I have the artwork sorted out it'll be getting alot of use.

Was also thinking of hosting my own arcade and retro beers to celebrate!

Well done Achilles, you did a great job on it

Thanks EnterNow!

Looks great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

That is fantastic!

Advertisement