Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It doesn't look bad, but could look better if you could get some kind of design in there instead of the plain black mounting board?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its not too bad. If they're IR sensors you might be able to cover them with heavily tinted plastic film or something to mask them a bit.
    Do they need to be offset like that ? The lack of symmetry would annoy me more that anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Im same boat, stuck them on, they must have this weird layout to work.
    Got lazy and just stuck them on, had great time with them especially Police Trainer and the likes...
    I think kick back on the gun makes these awesome, I have fun with gun with cab off :)

But Top gun stopped working with PC, think i just have go thru all steps again and never got patience to.
    Did you have any issue with them reconnecting after reboot?

SAM_0350.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It doesn't look bad, but could look better if you could get some kind of design in there instead of the plain black mounting board?

Yeah I'm getting artwork printed up soon enough as I've just been paid. As I'm doing custom artwork though it might take a while.

I was already thinking of getting some infrared film (the kind you'd see on a TV remote) to mask it even further but I'm happy enough with the result so far.

Also yes the sensors have to be offset this way... I've tried calibrating the gun with the sensors in all four corners but it doesn't like playing ball that way for some reason, don't ask why I've no idea.

kevin2me wrote: »
    Im same boat, stuck them on, they must have this weird layout to work.
    Got lazy and just stuck them on, had great time with them especially Police Trainer and the likes...
    I think kick back on the gun makes these awesome, I have fun with gun with cab off :)

But Top gun stopped working with PC, think i just have go thru all steps again and never got patience to.
    Did you have any issue with them reconnecting after reboot?

SAM_0350.JPG
    No not usually although Windows does like to turn the driver off every now and then because it's not digitally signed.

EnterNow I think mentioned earlier that you can get around this by disabling driver enforcing from the F8 boot menu and this should hold through reboots, although knowing Microsoft it probably randomly decides not to.

Also that looks like a CRT that you have there... why in god's name are you using an EMS TopGun III when you could be using all manner of arcade lightguns?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Achilles, where are you getting the artwork printed?

Achilles, where are you getting the artwork printed?

Not sure yet to be honest with you, I have a quote from a guy from the Hyperspin forum that seems a bit steep to me, it's either that or GameOnGraphix.

I haven't actually created any of the artwork yet though so that needs to be done first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    EnterNow I think mentioned earlier that you can get around this by disabling driver enforcing from the F8 boot menu and this should hold through reboots, although knowing Microsoft it probably randomly decides not to.

Well it worked like that for me with Motionjoy, but other guides say otherwise? Give it a shot & see :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well it worked like that for me with Motionjoy, but other guides say otherwise? Give it a shot & see :)

Have done already. It's working so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Achilles wrote: »
    No not usually although Windows does like to turn the driver off every now and then because it's not digitally signed.

Also that looks like a CRT that you have there... why in god's name are you using an EMS TopGun III when you could be using all manner of arcade lightguns?!

Thanks for that, Sweet must give that a go, been ages since played around with it.

Actually found the TopGun worked perfectly, its was cheap and fact its wireless and had kickback added to fun.
    Whereas at time Aimtrak guns sold separate, didnt come with gun casing and couldn't be bothered hacking it together.

And amount playtime I get Im didnt really care what guns too much,
    I also have proper Naomi gun cab too, so use that for proper kicks...

Looking fwd to artwork, and best luck with bartop.

• Advertisement

Thanks, it's an ongoing WIP at this stage, don't think I'll ever be finished tweaking it!

The EMS TopGun III is fine but it can be a little inaccurate at times, not sure if it's because my screen is tilted back like that or not... probably.

I do calibrate it correctly though but it seems to have trouble travelling to the bottom of the screen at times.

Ahh well it'll be grand for the occasional bash of Time Crisis or House of the Dead 2.

Speaking of which actually anyone ever have any issues setting up a gun that emulates a mouse like this with Mame?

I can't figure out how to set it up... using mame command line with Hyperspin.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also if anybody could recommend anywhere that I could buy some heavily tinted IR.. thingies please let me know as I can't find the right phrase to use to find them on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The planets have aligned, tides are rising, the sun is verging on a spontaneous solar eclipse, the earth is preparing to tremble - for Dinorex has landed in Bray.

Somebody mentioned getting IR filters in this thread earlier. Try as I might I can't seem to search for the right string of words in order to find them, all I'm getting is stuff about IR photography.

I assume that there's some kind of gel that I can buy for stage lighting that filters out everything but IR light? I have no idea where to look though...

Any and all help is appreciated.

I was thinking more along the lines of coloured sweet wrappers :)
    The type of dark transparent plastic on the front of a remote control is what you need. Bugger knows whats its actually called though.

Here ya go..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/INFRA-RED-LED-PLASTIC-FILTER-3MM-PERSPEX-SHEET-ACRYLIC-/170592626595?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item27b81ce7a3

Now that you've given me the idea though I can't help but be annoyed by the fact that I can see the LEDs.

Curse you and your bright ideas! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    The planets have aligned, tides are rising, the sun is verging on a spontaneous solar eclipse, the earth is preparing to tremble - for Dinorex has landed in Bray.

How come you bought it anyway, just as a curiosity? Presume you played the heap before. Hopefully you won't do a "retr0" and start saying it's actually a good game like he does with CD-i Zelda. :pac:

Perhaps he suffered temporary brain damage? :P

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How come you bought it anyway, just as a curiosity? Presume you played the heap before. Hopefully you won't do a "retr0" and start saying it's actually a good game like he does with CD-i Zelda. :pac:

Originally for the craic, I wanted to whip it out at a beers for the lulz :pac:

Then when I realized how hard it was to actually pick up, it became a bit of an obsession to hunt down. At that point, 'good sense' usually goes out the window!

Master of the Universe

I wanted to whip it out at a beers for the lulz :pac:

And yes, the above is just asking to me misquoted :D

TIL: o1s1n likes to whip it out...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Fired up The Gladiator this evening. Great game! Lovely, fluid animation with crap loads of combos.

Came across an issue though - same graphical sprite glitches that I had happen with Demon Front. Confirms my suspicion that the PGM board was at fault and not the cart.

No clue what's wrong with it though other than that the jamma edge has some copper missing. I wonder would dabbing some solder on the connector help?

Master of the Universe

**** you Dinorex! If it couldn't be more annoying, the game has a Dinosaur doing a mad roaring noise when it boots up to the Taito logo.

Not the most pleasant thing when you're booting a game for the first time and the volume pot is up full.

Scared the bejasus out of me :(

Came across an issue though - same graphical sprite glitches that I had happen with Demon Front. Confirms my suspicion that the PGM board was at fault and not the cart.

No clue what's wrong with it though other than that the jamma edge has some copper missing. I wonder would dabbing some solder on the connector help?

It's very unlikely, unless the damaged connector is the power or gnd section of the board.

**** you Dinorex! If it couldn't be more annoying, the game has a Dinosaur doing a mad roaring noise when it boots up to the Taito logo.

Not the most pleasant thing when you're booting a game for the first time and the volume pot is up full.

Scared the bejasus out of me :(

RAWR!

Master of the Universe

It's very unlikely, unless the damaged connector is the power or gnd section of the board.

Fairly sure it's a ground pin that's damaged, you can see it in this photo, one on the far right.

DSC_0104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Anyone any Idea what a Ketsui PCB goes for these days? one on ebay for 1000€ Thats overpriced though

GND looks a bit ropey alright on that and could be touched up a bit (not in a galgun sort of way).
    If the glitches are consistent then its more likely a logic failure somewhere, power dropouts would lead to more of a random type failure I'd say.

Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    Anyone any Idea what a Ketsui PCB goes for these days? one on ebay for 1000€ Thats overpriced though

€700 is the going rate last I heard. PGM mobo & hacked cart would cost you about €300 - €350. So depends how much of an issue you have with hacked carts. Plays the exact same from what I know. In fact it goes one better and lets you save scores to the PGM mobo.
    GND looks a bit ropey alright on that and could be touched up a bit (not in a galgun sort of way).
    If the glitches are consistent then its more likely a logic failure somewhere, power dropouts would lead to more of a random type failure I'd say.

They're definitely consistent, always affects the same sprites in the same parts of the game.

I've read that apparently there's a known issue with PGM boards when the processors are overflowed with information - I think it happens in Ketsui or DDP2 - when you have loads of things on screen you start getting some sprite glitches.

Mine happens too often for it to be a 'normal' glitch though. Although it does seem to happen more when there's more on screen. Glad it turned out to be the PGM board anyway and not my Demon Front cart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

safetyboy wrote: »

I think € 550,- is the highest I would go, there's one on shmups for € 600,- for some time now .
    Game is totally worth it IMO ;)

There's a MM pork board on ebay that was still at 100 pounds last I looked, still 8 days or so to go so probably will go up to 4x that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Casey120 wrote: »
    I think € 550,- is the highest I would go, there's one on shmups for € 600,- for some time now .
    Game is totally worth it IMO ;)

There's a MM pork board on ebay that was still at 100 pounds last I looked, still 8 days or so to go so probably will go up to 4x that :p

Cheers Casey, I'm heading to Nippon with the lady for crimbo so need to get some sheckles together! I shall throw it up in the market section here during the week with a few other bits, I think that's about what I paid too. It would be nice to keep it in Ireland.

Advertisement