Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's the only way to play Ridge Racer :)

7542530077_large.jpg

Ridge Racer Full Scale[edit source]
    A Full Scale arcade version of Ridge Racer was released alongside the standard arcade version in 1993. Players sat inside an adapted red Eunos Roadster,[17] the Japanese right-hand-drive version of the Mazda MX-5 Miata, and controlled the same car on-screen. The game was played in front of a 10 ft/3 m-wide, front-projected triple screen (which benefited from dimmed ambient lighting), with the car's wheel, gear stick and pedals functioning as the game's controls. The ignition key was used to start the game, the speed and RPM gauges were fully functional, and fans blew wind on the player from inside the air vents. Speakers concealed inside the car provided realistic engine and tire sounds, while overhead speakers provided surround music. In almost all locations, an operator stood by a console, to collect payment and control the operation. The game's P.C.B. was located under the hood of the car.
    The steering wheel could be re-linked to the rack and pinion steering of the car, making it easier to move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And now a moments silence for all those Ridge Racer players who went out and bought MX5's and promptly killed themselves trying to drift around Tokyo in them, poor stupid bast@rds...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They had one of those in Dr. Quirkey's for years. I used to love it.

Achilles wrote: »
    They had one of those in Dr. Quirkey's for years. I used to love it.

I remember seeing it when I was a nipper.
    was too young to play it.
    I wonder where the car went!

somebody email them for the laugh and ask!

Master of the Universe

They had one in Dr. Quirkey's? :eek:

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah they did, I remember playing it years ago.

Master of the Universe

The more I think about it, the more I have this fuzzy memory forming of seeing one of them...

Not sure if it's wishful thinking or an actual memory now :D definitely didn't play it.

Amazing to think such a colossal thing made it's way over here. When I came across the photo I was thinking it was just a one off or something exclusive to Japan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »

I don't remember that at all, and I was a regular there at the time.
    You sure?
    I can recall some savage cabs alright, right before I realised that my favourite genre, racing games, could be had at home and they were better.

I was, of course, thinking of Road&Track presents The Need for Speed on the 3DO...... awesome!

My Google-fu is not turning up anything but I definitely remember playing it in there around 2002 or so.

I was amazed by it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I realised that my favourite genre, racing games, could be had at home and they were better

God man, no way. One of the genres where arcades wipe the floor with consoles is driving games/racers. You remember the four player Virtua Racing Deluxe cab right? Such an awesome, awesome piece of kit

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    God man, no way. One of the genres where arcades wipe the floor with consoles is driving games/racers. You remember the four player Virtua Racing Deluxe cab right? Such an awesome, awesome piece of kit

Well, hmmm...
    No, I guess I was looking for something different than you in a racing game.
    In the arcades it was awesome sounds and visuals, the experience was often breathtaking, I'm remembering playing Scud Race and Daytona, not to mention Virtua Racing.
    But, they gave you, what, 3 minutes of bliss, and it was never that deep either.
    Something like NFS, way back then, gave me miles and miles of never repeating highways, over three massive stages, yes the visuals lacked that punch that the arcades had, the car models looked laughable, but then I don't know a sinner who played the 3DO game anywhere but from inside the car.
    Also, the weight of the various supercars was well realised and the sensation of each stretch of road being a character itself was brilliant, getting to know all the turns and hairpins, preparing for the balloons aloft, or a tricky bend combined with a decline and a tunne, plus the oncoming traffic, not to mention the cops!
    I sunk a shed load of time into that game, the PS version not as much, not because of Ridge Racer but because by the time most people got to play NFS on that format, the 3DO players were already masters, looking for the next thing.
    Had to wait for NFS3 and Road Challenge, as NFS2 was awful.

Sorry to go off the beaten track, but that is the reason I lost interest in the arcades, in my chosen favourite genre, it just didn't provide anymore.
    My Google-fu is not turning up anything but I definitely remember playing it in there around 2002 or so.

I was amazed by it at the time.

That would explain it, a blind butcher could count on his remaining fingers how many times I've been into Quirkys in the last 13 years.

I agree the arcade racers are usually trivial & shallow, but that's the whole point. It's a few minutes of all engrossing fun, & then your back rumaging for 20p pieces :D For me, consoles & pc take over when you're looking for something a bit more involved, like Need for Speed as you say, right up to proper sims.

Same with flying games, After Burner v Flight Sims, same with racers, Daytona v Gran Turismo. But if you want just shallow racing action, arcades is where its found at its best

Master of the Universe

I really miss good, fun arcade racers. Have played a few more modern ones in recent years and they're erring too close to simulation. As Cidey pointed out, that's the realm of the PC/console. When I'm in an arcade I just want to power slide around corners while sitting in a mock up of a Fararri :D

Yeah they did, I remember playing it years ago.

Its blurry but I remember it being at the front on the right as you walked in.
    you could possibly see it from the street

urbanledge wrote: »
    Its blurry but I remember it being at the front on the right as you walked in.
    you could possibly see it from the street
    Yep!

By the way for those of you that are interested I've uploaded Episode 2 of The Raspberry Pi Ally series.

The reason I'm posting about it here is that the first few episodes concentrate on Retropie which turns the unit into a retro videogame emulation station:

Also if you could do me a favour and like the video as well as possibly sharing it with your nerdy friends on social media type places that'd be very much appreciated!

Thanks all.

Also if you could do me a favour and like the video as well as possibly sharing it with your nerdy friends on social media type places that'd be very much appreciated!

Thanks all.

Reported for spam :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Good video in Ibara, I've yet to play this yet. Might look into picking it up.

Take a look at this ibara stuff too
    http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ibara/System.htm

Great site! good for print outs too. Also here for move strips http://www.emphatic.se/?p=807

• Advertisement

just fixed and played my Ibara pcb.Savage.
    The monitor in the blast is class.I loves it :)
    played some neogeo too on the E2.my 119-1 cart decided to start working again too.Happy days all round!

The reason I'm posting about it here is that the first few episodes concentrate on Retropie which turns the unit into a retro videogame emulation station:

Careful putting your face out there.
    I can see young women presenting it as evidence to the cops,
    "Look officer, this is the man who exposed his genitals at me!"
    Not saying it happened to me or anything....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Careful putting your face out there.
    I can see young women presenting it as evidence to the cops,
    "Look officer, this is the man who exposed his genitals at me!"
    Not saying it happened to me or anything....

Grand so I'll put your face out there instead...
    :rolleyes:

Anyone amped up a PS360 before, going to do mine later just wondering what the best button layout to go for.

Master of the Universe

Just picked up a 6 in 1 pcb switcher.

Good video about them here (about 1 minute in, after the long, self indulgent intro :D)

There's no way I'd ever fit 6 PCBs in either of my machines, but 3-4 should be manageable.

Was thinking of this.

Put the switching board against the back wall inside the cab.

Ibara (tiny, will go straight into the board)
    60 in 1 vertical PCB (about the same size as Ibara)
    Raiden II (mounted to the side of the cab already, need an extension harness)
    GNET (should be able to fit this over the other side of the cab)

Would really be something else having all those boards in at once, and access with the flick of a switch.

Just to note that these boards don't power them all at once. When you change game, it then sends power to it and it needs to boot.

Some people rather the ones that boot all at once (so you don't have to sit through boot up ROM checks for example) but I think for energy consumption and board longevity, this is probably the better option.

I'd say that was a pricey bit of kit!

Master of the Universe

Came to €100 or so from this guy in France.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290998520939?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Expensive enough, but it'll mean my PCBs get manhandled less so is a worthy investment I think!

One down side to these yolks - the selection button is radio controlled. However all these PCBs use the same frequency. So if you were to have one in each cab and you changed the game in one, it'll change the one in the other one :D

The guy in that above video modded his one so it works with a hard wired selector switch instead. Would be pretty cool doing that and running it through a button hole on the CP.

Not to bad I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I'm a bit worried about the strain these jamma connectors solder points have to suffer from any board larger than say CAVE SH3 tilting back and forth when changing them, also with 6 somewhat larger boards and no support right under the pcb's the switcher board itself might bend enough to damage traces .

Or maybe I just worry to much :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Is that one that allows split screen action ?

Advertisement