Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the last battle fought on Irish soil?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 10:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

This is something that's intrigued me for a while.The last battle in Britian can be safely said to be Culloden but what about the last Irish land battle.Depending on your definition of a battle it could be Ballinamuck in 1798 or the 1916 rising or some of the engagements at the start of the civil war.Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What do you consider counts as a battle? Where does firefight / skirmish stop and battle start?

What of the Four Courts at the start of the Civil War?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The battle of the bogside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tarzan7

darkdubh wrote: »
    This is something that's intrigued me for a while.The last battle in Britian can be safely said to be Culloden but what about the last Irish land battle.Depending on your definition of a battle it could be Ballinamuck in 1798 or the 1916 rising or some of the engagements at the start of the civil war.Any opinions?
    Like Victor states, when does a firefight/skirmish stop, and it becomes a battle, I suppose their's really no anwser. In my opinion 1916 was certainly a battle, but I would also include Crossbarry 1921, though here on wiki it's called the "Crossbarry Ambush". Those engaged -

Numbers - 1,2000 British army, 120 RIC versus 104 IRA.
    Dead - depending on who you believe, 10 - 30 British 3 - 6 IRA dead.

As for Culloden being the last battle on British soil, well though an aerial battle, the Battle of Britain certainly was no skirmish !!!! And it should be borne in mind, that a part of Britain was invaded and captured by the Germans, the Channell Islands - without a single shot off resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbarry_Ambush

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tarzan7 wrote: »
    And it should be borne in mind, that a part of Britain was invaded and captured by the Germans, the Channell Islands - without a single shot off resistance.
    Not part of Britain (only a crown dependency) and not a battle! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tarzan7

Victor wrote: »
    Not part of Britain (only a crown dependency) and not a battle! :)
    True, but a bit like the Bill Clinton's excuse about cannabis at uni " I smoked but I didn't inhale " :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

what about the TTLE OF KILLMALOCK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kilmallock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

krochford wrote: »
    what about the TTLE OF KILLMALOCK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kilmallock
    That seems to be a safe contender.The fighting can't have been very intense though considering the low casualty rate.

Advertisement