Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed GSD

• 21-10-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi GuysI am wondering if any of you may have any thoughts on this.My 10 month old female German Shepard seems very depressed for the last two days. She has recently finished her first heat and I am thinking it may be something to do with that.It's so sad because she is normally so happy, full of life and loves to play.But for the past 2 days she has been so down. She mopes around, sits her bed for ages and is not very interested in anything.I have tried playing with her loads, giving her lots of attention, but nothing.Does anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts on what maybe wrong? I am just so worried about her.Thanks in advance for any replies, I really appreciate your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Milo83

Zebrano wrote: »
    Hi GuysI am wondering if any of you may have any thoughts on this.My 10 month old female German Shepard seems very depressed for the last two days. She has recently finished her first heat and I am thinking it may be something to do with that.It's so sad because she is normally so happy, full of life and loves to play.But for the past 2 days she has been so down. She mopes around, sits her bed for ages and is not very interested in anything.I have tried playing with her loads, giving her lots of attention, but nothing.Does anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts on what maybe wrong? I am just so worried about her.Thanks in advance for any replies, I really appreciate your time.

She probably just pissed off because she didnt get the Royd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is she eating and drinking, going for walks, etc?

Although I could be accused of being hysterical, I always tend to warn people of the dangers of pyometra in intact bitches.
    When we got our rescue initially she was in heat and due to be spayed as soon as the heat had ended. The dog was 3 years old, had clearly been pregnant in the previous 12 months, so it was well past her first heat.

The heat seemed to last forever, but once it had ended, within 3 or 4 days she became lethargic and apparently depressed. It was only when we noticed puss coming from her vulva that we copped that something was wrong.

Thankfully it was sorted, but yep, pyometra. Our first dog, first experience of a heat, and it turns into pyometra. So I'm always now ultra-sensitive whenever anyone says that they're dog is acting strange after being in heat.

It's probably a lot more likely to be a hormonal issue, some kind of withdrawal, but I wouldn't take any chances. If she's still the same tomorrow, get yourself to a vet to have her checked out. If you're very worried or she seems particularly lathargic, then no reason why you can't bring her to a vet today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

+1 to what Seamus said.

Please get her checked out by a vet. Pyo is a very serious condition and can be fatal if not treated in time. All the signs you mentioned are symtoms of Pyometra so better to have her checked out just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Milo83 wrote: »
    She probably just pissed off because she didnt get the Royd!!

Inappropriate & unhelpful comments are not welcome - please read the forum charter and post helpfully or not at all thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. She is eating and drinking fine, if she wasnt I would be straight to the vet! But not interested in walks today. I will inpect the vulva for puss later (in work at the mo!) and let you know.And I will take her to the vet tomorrow if no change. I will be getting her neutered soon, so hopefully she wont have to go through this again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Milo83

I was just trying to make light of the situation.. I have a dog myself, who i adore and hate to see any animal suffer.

Apologies to anyone i offended.

Hi Guys

Just want to let you know that my little princess is fine! She was back to her old self yesterday, happy, jumpy and full of life again!

She must have been just having a bad day - not like I never have one!

Lets hope she doesnt have too many of them, I can't take the worry.

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Zebrano wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. She is eating and drinking fine, if she wasnt I would be straight to the vet! But not interested in walks today. I will inpect the vulva for puss later (in work at the mo!) and let you know.And I will take her to the vet tomorrow if no change. I will be getting her neutered soon, so hopefully she wont have to go through this again!

Glad to hear she's ok. Just though I'd comment on this bit just in case someone is reading this with a dog with similar symptoms. Pyometra can be classed as either open or closed pyometra, with open pyometra the cervix is open and the pus can drain out, closed pyometra is much more dangerous as the cervix is closed so all the pus remains inside the uterus building up which means it's harder to spot as you will not notice any leakage.

Thanks Zapperzy, thats good to know.

Advertisement