Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4S prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Have you used it yet? Any improvement on holding onto 3G signal, thinking of switching back for a 64GB on friday, I also think i'm daft but I have to use my upgrade it's bugging me.
    Do you know if you can use the iphone4S as a USB drive, wouldn't mind 20GB just to use for storing random stuff for dropping between computer to computer. (mac and windows)

Have a read of this: http://finbarrbrady.com/2011/10/iphone-4s-faster-on-3-ireland/

You could get the Box app and sign up -currently offering a free 50gb of cloud access.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Meteor site won't let me log on!!!!

Better not be all sold out by the time I log on or I'll cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Hopefully the other networks will see this offer and tweak their offers based on it. It'd make good business sense for the likes of Three to have had 2-3 advertising campaigns ready to kick off with different plans and kick off one of them based upon what the other networks were offering.

Edit: I'd say Three will offer the phone for free on their €40 per month, 24 month plan with 350 flexi units. Assumming coverage is the same, this would probably be a better plan because you'd have unlimited data and could use the flexi units for 350 minutes of calls and use an app to send your webtexts.

What will be interesting will be how much the phone will cost on their 18-month plan - the 4 is €89. With FatCheese.ie, you can get a €30.81 rebate for switching too which should be taken into consideration.

I'd say, as usual, O2 and Vodafone's plans will be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Does anyone know. Can you wireless tether with Meteors 5gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Was just going to as the same question.

They say this on their iPhone 4S page: Usage of your inclusive mobile internet allowance as a modem is expressly prohibited.

But does that mean no tethering at all I wonder? If so, I'm canceling my order. I have wired broadband, but need tethering the odd time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was just going to ask that, think I'm sold if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

AlanD wrote: »
    Was just going to as the same question.

They say this on their iPhone 4S page: Usage of your inclusive mobile internet allowance as a modem is expressly prohibited.

But does that mean no tethering at all I wonder? If so, I'm canceling my order. I have wired broadband, but need tethering the odd time.
    Yeh I have an ipad so im looking for a tethering option.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'd be tempted with the Meteor offer if the 40 euro tariff included free meteor calls&txts. Hopefully, as others have said, the other networks come up with competitive offers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Demand seems high my wife is on hold an hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

As far as i know, meteor have no problem with tethering, i always do it fine. Althought when i do it, i'm doing it through a pay as you go plan...

Meteors pricing doesnt seem that bad to me, it'd be great if they gave free meteor calls/texts on the basic package.

I have to say though, if you're looking at a GS2, for 230€ upfront(minus whatever fatcheese gives you..) and 30€ a month, on a 12 MONTH CONTRACT, you get 200 mins/texts, free meteor calls/texts and 1gb of data. Seems a lot better deal to me. So thats a max of 590€ for the year, including price of phone. Seeing as the phone is about 480€ sim free, 110€ fo r the cost of using the phone for the year doesn't seem that bad. As well, a 12 month contract is a much more swallowable pill.. Then at the end of 12 months, you'll have yourself an unlocked SGS2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kceire wrote: »
    you can buy sim free phones for the US, they have been available about 6 months now and are unlocked to all networks on GSM in the world.

Yeah iphone 4 - not 4s.
    culabula wrote: »
    No, they don't.

Ok well I've been on the iphone US site and I can't find any iphone 4s without a contract. If you guys can find it then by all mean post up the link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Zonda999 wrote: »
    As far as i know, meteor have no problem with tethering, i always do it fine. Althought when i do it, i'm doing it through a pay as you go plan...

Meteors pricing doesnt seem that bad to me, it'd be great if they gave free meteor calls/texts on the basic package.

I have to say though, if you're looking at a GS2, for 230€ upfront(minus whatever fatcheese gives you..) and 30€ a month, on a 12 MONTH CONTRACT, you get 200 mins/texts, free meteor calls/texts and 1gb of data. Seems a lot better deal to me. So thats a max of 590€ for the year, including price of phone. Seeing as the phone is about 480€ sim free, 110€ fo r the cost of using the phone for the year doesn't seem that bad. As well, a 12 month contract is a much more swallowable pill.. Then at the end of 12 months, you'll have yourself an unlocked SGS2

on the first day of your contract you will have an unlocked sgs2..just ask them to give you the unlock code..Metoer are great like that, unlike some (3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Think ill buy it sim free off apple then get a sg2 off meteor in may when im due an upgrade and sell one of them .

Is it possible to preorder an upgrade for an existing bill pay customer online with Meteor? i can't seem to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Think ill buy it sim free off apple then get a sg2 off meteor in may when im due an upgrade and sell one of them .

sgs3 will be out then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

cojomo2 wrote: »
    on the first day of your contract you will have an unlocked sgs2..just ask them to give you the unlock code..Metoer are great like that, unlike some (3)
    Fair enough

Closer scrutiny of the meteor plans too show that they completely rip you off if you happen to want a 32gb or 64gb model

The (probably) most popular plan is 55€ a month for the 16gb, whereas its 65€/month on the 32gb. So on a 24month contract,. thats €240 more, for a product thats only €100 more sim free. As well, for the 64gb, its 65€/month, plus 99€ upfront, so thats €340 more than the 16gb, for a product thats 200€ more sim free. That stinks tbh..

god damn, it appears you have to ring them, and i don't really have over an hour to be waiting to get through to someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

@Meteor_Mobile on twitter just confirmed to me that tethering is allowed on the new plans.

Yeah iphone 4 - not 4s.

Ok well I've been on the iphone US site and I can't find any iphone 4s without a contract. If you guys can find it then by all mean post up the link

iPhone 4S will be available SIM-free in the US from the 01/11. And yes, it does confirm that on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You could get the Box app and sign up -currently offering a free 50gb of cloud access.

It's not really what i'm after, I want to be able to drop a 20GB file onto the phone from one computer then take it to another computer(with no internet access) and then drop the file onto a windows machine. Just like you'd use an ordinary USB memory stick. I know it's possible if you jailbreak but is it possible with jailbreaking?

• Advertisement

Yeah iphone 4 - not 4s.

See here, below all the carriers:http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

iPhone 4S will be available SIM-free in the US from the 01/11. And yes, it does confirm that on their site.

Could you post the link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I know 2 people that were on hold for 2 hours and it hung up on them. nice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

If I signed up to a 24 contract on Meteor does that mean I wouldn't be entitled to an upgrade if/when the next iPhone comes out next Summer?

Or...could I get I get the phone next summer and sign up to another 24 months?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not sure about this pre ordering online, it won't ship till friday so if you order online you won't have your phone until tuesday/wednesday with the bank holiday. If you pre order in a shop you can have it friday, saturday, sunday, monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Stuart74

Hey culabula,

I've checked that link and it only says that it is coming sim free in November doesn't seem to give a date. I rang an apple store in the states last week and as of Thursday they did not have a date either.

Stuart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Malenfant

I know it's possible if you jailbreak but is it possible with jailbreaking?

without jailbreak? no.

Stuart74 wrote: »
    Hey culabula,

I've checked that link and it only says that it is coming sim free in November doesn't seem to give a date. I rang an apple store in the states last week and as of Thursday they did not have a date either.

Stuart.

It does say that. The reports that announced this around 3 weeks ago specifically mentioned the 1st of November.

In any case, it's clearly coming SIM-free stateside in November.

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

If I signed up to a 24 contract on Meteor does that mean I wouldn't be entitled to an upgrade if/when the next iPhone comes out next Summer?

Or...could I get I get the phone next summer and sign up to another 24 months?

Thanks!

No, you wouldn't be entitled to an upgrade if you take iPhone 4S this Friday.
    Yes, you could wait and get the next iPhone when it comes.
    No, you can't sign up for another 24 months next year if you start a 2-year contract this Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

I send about 100 texts a day, I don't make that many phone calls and I use the internet an awful lot. I'm a bit blonde when it comes to understanding the tariffs but does it sound like it would suit me better to sign up with someone or get it from apple.ie? Following on with my blonde theme :p what exactly do I have to do when I get the phone if I order from apple?

Advertisement