Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4S prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Beer Baron wrote: »
    They just tweeted that they put up the wrong prices but will honour all 40pcms. I'm on hold now. I'm telling them I am not paying €45. Why should I? They entice me in with €40(cheaper than VF) and then sneakily put up the price whilst on hold. :mad:

If your buying from one operator over the other because of a €5 difference your making a mistake, you should buy from who ever gives you the most with for your €40/45/50. It's a bill phone you could easily end up with a bigger bill for picking something €5 cheaper. 200 minutes for €45/50pm is not a good deal.

I'm getting 150 for €45 right now with VF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

eeloe wrote: »
    You can't order an upgrade online, you have to ring the offices...

Ah right, sorry.
    I assume you can order a new connection online though with no phone call?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yep new connection can be ordered online...

321628_2508868804745_1343831582_32836311_2075043121_n.jpg

Currently sitting at 1.17.02 at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Hmmm... which of the following to choose:

16GB iPhone 4S

Initial Cost: €0
    24 Months @ €45: €1080
    Total Cost: €1080

Samsung Galaxy S2/iPhone 5

Max Initial Cost: €179.99 (after Fatcheese rebate)
    12 Months @ €30: €360
    Total Cost: €539.99

..then sell Galaxy S2 and use proceeds to pay cost of iPhone 5 on 18 month contract or go on a PAYG plan at €20 per month for 12 months costing €240 - bringing the total cost over 24 months to €779.99 (and I'm pretty sure that the PAYG plans will be better than the current iPhone 4S plan). Is the iPhone 4S really worth €300.01 more than a Galaxy S2?

Assumming the second option is chosen and an upgrade to the iPhone 5 is made next year, in theory, you should have a 6 month longer tie in (12 months and 18 months) but would have the latest Android now and the iPhone 5 when it becomes available at no extra cost. Seems like a no brainer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

very tempted to order a new connection with meteor, sell my 4.
    Buy out my o2 contract with the proceeds.

Might hang on and see what the other operators are doing.
    I reckon three might come up with something good but coverage is an issue abd I couldnt be bothered gettting a sim to test.
    Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hear lots of stories with issues with 3's coverage.

What about Meteor's , is it a good network?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭tubbs26

Just spent 1hr 34mins on hold and finally got through. I was told I was being transferred to the direct sales team and then got cut off. Meteor are trying their best not to get me to sign up to a new contract with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

marathonic wrote: »
    Hmmm... which of the following to choose:

16GB iPhone 4S

Initial Cost: €0
    24 Months @ €45: €1080
    Total Cost: €1080

Samsung Galaxy S2/iPhone 5

Max Initial Cost: €179.99 (after Fatcheese rebate)
    12 Months @ €30: €360
    Total Cost: €539.99

..then sell Galaxy S2 and use proceeds to pay cost of iPhone 5 on 18 month contract or go on a PAYG plan at €20 per month for 12 months costing €240 - bringing the total cost over 24 months to €779.99 (and I'm pretty sure that the PAYG plans will be better than the current iPhone 4S plan). Is the iPhone 4S really worth €300.01 more than a Galaxy S2?

Assumming the second option is chosen and an upgrade to the iPhone 5 is made next year, in theory, you should have a 6 month longer tie in (12 months and 18 months) but would have the latest Android now and the iPhone 5 when it becomes available at no extra cost. Seems like a no brainer to me.
    Certainly seems that way to me, rumours are already circulating about the phone 5 being launched next summer again, but tbh, this doesnt seem like Apple's style to me, leaving a phone out for only 8 months... The 540€ for the year, GS2 seems like a fine deal to me. 1gb is perdectly adequate IMHO, as long as you wouldnt be using it as an internet connection for a laptop. For email, and light browsing, and making use of wifi at home or whatever, i reckon it'd be grand.

• Advertisement

1h45m a gentleman answered the phone, said that i cannot place a preorder as meteor are not going to be getting the iPhone 4s for existing customers, only new customers, i asked to speak to a supervisor, he has transfered me back to the customer care team...again....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Currently sitting at 1.17.02 at the minute!

i was the same the other day!

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=2560

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Certainly seems that way to me, rumours are already circulating about the phone 5 being launched next summer again, but tbh, this doesnt seem like Apple's style to me, leaving a phone out for only 8 months... The 540€ for the year, GS2 seems like a fine deal to me. 1gb is perdectly adequate IMHO, as long as you wouldnt be using it as an internet connection for a laptop. For email, and light browsing, and making use of wifi at home or whatever, i reckon it'd be grand.

Yeah, depends on the person really. I'd imagine that those that use more than 1GB are in the minority (I know most of my usage is via WiFi at home and work anyway). The free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts on the Galaxy S2 plan may seal the deal for some.

Personally, I think Apple are trying to break from their predictable style at the moment. The Galaxy S3 is due out in March/April next year. I don't see Apple sticking around with the iPhone 4S which I'm pretty sure will be of a vastly lower specification than the Galaxy S3. They'll want to release something as soon as possible - and certainly by the time any 12 month contract that you take out now ends.

They were left behind when Samsung released the Galaxy S2 and will be left behind when they release the Galaxy S3 again – the only question is for how long?

Apple need to get in shape and, once again, become the innovators in the smartphone market – not the people who are constantly trying to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meteor just confirmed via twitter than you can tether with your 5GB allowance. That's me sold.

The thing that really is convincing to get an iphone is their resale value. If, in a years time, I want the latest android, I'll most likely be able to sell/do a straight up swap for it.

Meteor just confirmed via twitter than you can tether with your 5GB allowance. That's me sold.

The thing that really is convincing to get an iphone is their resale value. If, in a years time, I want the latest android, I'll most likely be able to sell/do a straight up swap for it.

good luck getting through to them, i'm already on the phone 2 hours and a chap in the sales department has told me the 4s will be for NEW customers only, not existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

marathonic wrote: »
    Yeah, depends on the person really. I'd imagine that those that use more than 1GB are in the minority (I know most of my usage is via WiFi at home and work anyway). The free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts on the Galaxy S2 plan may seal the deal for some.

Personally, I think Apple are trying to break from their predictable style at the moment. The Galaxy S3 is due out in March/April next year. I don't see Apple sticking around with the iPhone 4S which I'm pretty sure will be of a vastly lower specification than the Galaxy S3. They'll want to release something as soon as possible - and certainly by the time any 12 month contract that you take out now ends.

They were left behind when Samsung released the Galaxy S2 and will be left behind when they release the Galaxy S3 again – the only question is for how long?

Apple need to get in shape and, once again, become the innovators in the smartphone market – not the people who are constantly trying to catch up.

Its hard to know what they'll do. The next gen ipad will be out in March or so, does that mean there will be lul of about 6/7 months again without another product announcement? The best startegy, in so far as keeping Apple in the news would be ipad announcement in the Spring, iphone in the Summer and ipod/whatever other enhancements in the Autumn

In any case, considering a sim free GS2 is about 470€ sim free, considering you can get all of the above for 540€ inclusing all that use for a year, seems good. Another option could be to sell the unlocked GS2 you get from meteor(assuming they will unlock straight away) as soon as the next iphone 5 comes out, and get that sim free, and use it away on the meteor sim until the 12 months is up.
    good luck getting through to them, i'm already on the phone 2 hours and a chap in the sales department has told me the 4s will be for NEW customers only, not existing customers.

If they just mentioned that on their website, it would have saved a lot of people a lot of bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.emobile.ie/iphone/

Emobile's plans are in. Seem to be broadly in line with meteor, maybe slightly more expensive.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Another option could be to sell the unlocked GS2 you get from meteor(assuming they will unlock straight away) as soon as the next iphone 5 comes out, and get that sim free, and use it away on the meteor sim until the 12 months is up.

I got a Galaxy S2 two months ago. I never tried another SIM but Android is that open that I installed a custom O/S - basically, a copy of the standard O/S but unlocked and with a few tweaks. Looking back, I should have checked if it was unlocked out of the box :D

I've 10 months to go on my contract so a late Summer release would suit me - although, to be honest, I may consider sticking with Android (depending on what's available at that time).

I really like the Android webtext app (Cabbage Ultimate). My iPhone webtext app wasn't integrated and incoming/outgoing conversations weren't stored together. The Android app is totally integrated. It sends using webtexts first and, when used up, starts using network texts (or you can manually select to use the network when sending).

Also, some paid iPhone apps are free on Android - such as TuneIn Radio.

Surprise Surprise Meteor have refused to honour the €40PCM offer. Obviously those who were lucky enough to get somebody to answer the phone.

I found a way to get them to answer though. Rang this number 1800 777 085 :D (10 seconds to answer).

They want €45pcm so I said as I was going to give them 2 new bill pay accounts that they should give me Meteor to Meteor for free so they said NO.

Right so. I'll wait to see what the rest of them have to offer over the next day or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Do you mean they are refusing to honor the 40 pcm offer to those who purchased when it was 40 or are they refusing to honor it if you asked when it moved to 45?

• Advertisement

AlanD wrote: »
    Do you mean they are refusing to honor the 40 pcm offer to those who purchased when it was 40 or are they refusing to honor it if you asked when it moved to 45?

Both.

She said that I couldn't have it because my application for a new accouny was received after the change and she is sure most of those with pending applications will be changed to €45 as well.

I pointed out the Twitter comment about honouring their mistake and she said "Nope, thats what my Supervisor says".

After nearly 3 & a half hours on the phone....

Existing customers aren't able to pre order the 4s, all they can do is take my number and give me a call when the lines open @ 9am to arrange the upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

http://www.emobile.ie/iphone/

Emobile's plans are in. Seem to be broadly in line with meteor, maybe slightly more expensive.

There seems to be a glitch on their pre-order page.
    On both tariffs, the 32gb and 64gb models are both the same price per month, and they're both available for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 richieq1

Soarer wrote: »
    On both tariffs, the 32gb and 64gb models are both the same price per month, and they're both available for free!

price is the same for the plan but 32gb is free and 64gb is 100 up front for the phone

just tried to order there and thats what came up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Soarer wrote: »

I'm not seeing the glitch, the 64GB is anything from €99 to €529 depending on which bill you go for..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Vodafone just called me offering me a 4S.

You can get a free phone (16GB) but my €45 tariff is now €65 - with half (1GB) the data. :pac:
    There's a base plan of €30 with V2V calls and 500Mb, with no external texts or calls. You can buy add ons which will in reality about 20 quid onto that amount. But you also pay about €170 for the phone.

Oh, and with both you also sign on for another 2 years.

Just as well I'd decided to hold off till the '5' when I'm out of contract!

[And to add insult to injury I've €25 worth of spam texts coming up on my bill which I need to contact Comreg about. :mad:]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ah sorry, tis only on the page that the link directs you to. When you actually go further, the prices are displayed!

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dades wrote: »
    [And to add insult to injury I've €25 worth of spam texts coming up on my bill which I need to contact Comreg about. :mad:]

I doubt they'll get you a refund, Vodafone can tell you what company is sending the texts, get on the blower to the company and hoof them out of it and demand the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Both.

She said that I couldn't have it because my application for a new accouny was received after the change and she is sure most of those with pending applications will be changed to €45 as well.

I pointed out the Twitter comment about honouring their mistake and she said "Nope, thats what my Supervisor says".

I might call up the National Consumer Agency to find out my rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

AlanD wrote: »
    I might call up the National Consumer Agency to find out my rights.

To be honest, I don't think they have to honour it.

You can either accept the change or take a refund. They would only ever honour it out of good will

Advertisement