Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4S prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

AlanD wrote: »
    I might call up the National Consumer Agency to find out my rights.

I spoke to the National Consumer Agency and found out the following:

My own context, I purchased the iPhone at 40 euro pcm based on the understanding that the plan was 40 per month. I probably would have held off if it was 45 per month from the start. My purchase was complete before 11am.

My rights are:

- I could pursue them to honor the contract up to the point of engaging independent legal advice to help me do this (unlikely)

- Because the change in price represents a fundamental change to the contract I would be entitled to a refund. Although since I am a new customer, the cooling off period would apply to me here too.

- If meteor genuinely made a mistake, they don't have to honor the marked price although she said this becomes a grey area when a contract has already been entered in to. She said she would refer the case to some advertising division in the NCA.

So I'm happy enough with that so at least I know where I stand when Meteor come calling to fix their error.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You haven't purchased it though have you? I pre-ordered it myself this morning on Meteor but I still have to wait on a contract to be sent out and then sent back to them before my credit card will be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

You haven't purchased it though have you? I pre-ordered it myself this morning on Meteor but I still have to wait on a contract to be sent out and then sent back to them before my credit card will be charged.

I don't have a phone and I don't have a signed contract, but the initial pre-order and confirmation email does constitute a contract stating facts about the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I don't see a 12 month option on meteors site. Didn't Comreg introduce some guidelines recently for mobile phone contracts stating that all operators should offer a 12 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kellygav

Well the first stage is actually getting meteor to answer their phone today...

If you are an already existing bill customer than it won't actually order online and it gives you a free phone number.. Sounds great?

Well i was waiting for someone to answer for over 1hr 45min... then i hung up as i though there must be something wrong...

This is clever by meteor as they'll give all the phones to new customers and the current customer won't get any because they won't answer, as i write this i'm on hold again for this time only!! 35mins again (this was actually my 4th 30min call after the 1st one without an answer)

Their CS department earlier didn't even know about the phone being available for pre-order.. What a joke!! They kept saying sorry "sir" your wrong we aren’t taking orders for the phone until Friday, i told them to check their own website...:mad:

What a joke!! I think meteor is great but if they tell me that all the phones are gone.. Then I’m moving to another network as this is a scam!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

AlanD wrote: »
    I don't have a phone and I don't have a signed contract, but the initial pre-order and confirmation email does constitute a contract stating facts about the purchase.
    Until they accept and confirm your order, no contract exists between you and Meteor. At this point, you've only applied for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

funkyflea wrote: »
    I don't see a 12 month option on meteors site. Didn't Comreg introduce some guidelines recently for mobile phone contracts stating that all operators should offer a 12 month contract?

They have a 12mt option just not on the phone your after, there's no obligation the networks to provide all phones on 12mt contracts the only obligation is to provide a 12mt contract which they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

This could end up as a great big switch over, networks more eager to please potential customers than customers with a history of paying their bills with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ People need to be out of contract of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

They have a 12mt option just not on the phone your after, there's no obligation the networks to provide all phones on 12mt contracts the only obligation is to provide a 12mt contract which they do.

Ah I see, thanks, I'll admit I did 'speed-read' that thing about Comreg the other day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm just sickened that pre existing billpay customers aren't Allowed to pre order a device.

Spent the guts of 5 hours in total on the phone today to be basically told I'll get a callback on Friday, which I won't get, and I'll probably end up having to spend another 5 hours on the phone on Friday trying to get the upgrade.

Meteor fail....if only their network wasn't so blindingly fast I'd be gone elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stupid Vodafone with their sneaky e-mail (making it sound like the 4S is free but likely meaning the 4 8GB is "From Free"
    Hi there

Thanks for your interest in the new iPhone 4S. We can now confirm that this fantastic new phone will be available this Friday, 28th October. Featuring a faster processor, new 8MP camera, iOS 5 and iCloud services, the 4S will be the most amazing iPhone yet.

If you can’t wait until then, you might like to know that the iPhone 4 8GB has just been released and is available from FREE on our new MyWay plans.

With Vodafone MyWay you build the perfect plan to suit you – just choose the amount of minutes and texts you need, then add on as much internet data as you like. MyWay is always better value, because you only pay for what you need and what's more, all the latest smartphones are available from FREE with these plans.

As stock is limited and demand for the iPhone 4S is high, orders will be treated on a first-come, first-served basis – keep up to date by checking online or in your local Vodafone store.

In the meantime, find out more about the iPhone on Vodafone.

Best wishes,
    Vodafone – The home of the smartphone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Nothing sneaky about that, it clearly says the iPhone 4 8gb is available from free(obviously means depending of which tarrif you choose).

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

This post has been deleted.

here here, did the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

nightster1 wrote: »
    here here, did the same:)
    What plan are you going to use out of curiosity?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Doylers wrote: »

Buy from three(instore) on friday but have to pay €25 to get it unlocked and dont have the luxury to leave until I spend about €150 and pay the unlock fee.

Decisions decisions

no unlock fee with 3 anymore. €130 has to be put onto it in credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ian_dub

I notice o2.ie is down for essential maintenance until 1:50am. Could we be seeing their 4S strategy before the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Hope so. I've been dying to know what prices they will be compare to other networks and I HOPE they will offer pre-pay cheaper than apple or will they be the same price do ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Dades wrote: »
    Vodafone just called me offering me a 4S.

Wish they would call me this time, when the 4 came out i got it for €50 :D

Guess i'll never get as lucky again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Stupid Vodafone with their sneaky e-mail (making it sound like the 4S is free but likely meaning the 4 8GB is "From Free"

I've registered my interest twice with vodafone (I thought maybe it didn't work first time cause I heard nothing since!:rolleyes:) and still have heard nothing. Did you get that mail this eve?

While the idea of just buying a 4s direct from Apple appeals to me, I unfortunately just don't have a random €600 floating round my bank account waiting on me to decide to make some extravagant purchase decision :(, so I will have to see what the networks have on offer.
    I am out of contract now so looking to see whats around. I want the 32gb. I have 16gb and it's practically full.

What I did with my 3gs is I signed up with the expensive tarrif (and got the phone free), waited about 3/4 months and then switched to the lower tarriff. That's an advantage of vodafone I guess, the fact that you can switch between plans as much as you like...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

leemaree wrote: »
    Hope so. I've been dying to know what prices they will be compare to other networks and I HOPE they will offer pre-pay cheaper than apple or will they be the same price do ya think?

All the networks are cheaper than Apple for Prepay......problem is only by €10 or €20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    This could end up as a great big switch over, networks more eager to please potential customers than customers with a history of paying their bills with them.

It has been this way for years.

I'm a bill pay customer with Meteor for about 6 years. I have never been offered anything better than a new customer to Meteor and in most cases new customers are entitled to more. When i'm entitled to an upgrade, despite being a customer for years, I have to pay the exact same amount to upgrade my phone as someone that walked in off the street. For my last upgrade there was a special offer on and when I tried to switch to that offer they told me no as I was a current customer I wasn't entitled to it.

So basically for sticking with Meteor and being a loyal customer they where punishing me. The only reason I have stuck with Meteor is because other members of my family are Meteor and we have free calls and txts to each other. I might make the move next month though if they can't do a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered my 4GS from EMobile. Changing from O2 directly because of their new data plans. had been with them for over 10 years.

Paying 399 for the 32gig with 300 mins, 300 texts and 2gig download allowance for 45 per month on a 12 month contract. Will have cost me 540 (45 x 12) for the year plus the 400 means 940 for the whole lot for the year I'm tied into.

I can live with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered my 4GS from EMobile. Changing from O2 directly because of their new data plans. had been with them for over 10 years.

Paying 399 for the 32gig with 300 mins, 300 texts and 2gig download allowance for 45 per month on a 12 month contract. Will have cost me 540 (45 x 12) for the year plus the 400 means 940 for the whole lot for the year I'm tied into.

I can live with that!

I went with this aswell, cheers for the heads up.
    Great deal and I also noticed that in my confirmation email it says 3 months free (Jan,Feb,Mar).
    Very happy.

^^ I can't see any tariff under €54 on eMobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

^^^ Nor 12 month contracts. Or did you threaten to leave?

Have you got a link to those offers?

sham69 wrote: »
    I went with this aswell, cheers for the heads up.
    Great deal and I also noticed that in my confirmation email it says 3 months free (Jan,Feb,Mar).
    Very happy.

No worries. Seems like a good deal to me. As for the 3 months free, I was wondering about that. I saw it on the confirmation email but it never really registered. Happy out.

Simon201 wrote: »
    ^^^ Nor 12 month contracts. Or did you threaten to leave?

Have you got a link to those offers?

Well for a start, I get a discount as I have eirom broadband, but also seemed to have better options (including an option for a 12 month contract instead of 24), when I started off by choosing my tarrif rather than by startin with the iPhone. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ I can't see any tariff under €54 on eMobile.

If you click on the iphone 4s link it brings up the 24 month contacts under them is a link to "the iPhone is available on all out plans" link

• Advertisement

alexmcred wrote: »
    If you click on the iphone 4s link it brings up the 24 month contacts under them is a link to "the iPhone is available on all out plans" link
    Ah - I see now - nice one. €44 in fact!

(Not upgrading to the "S" but might keep an eye on this crowd next year!)

Advertisement