Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution On Licence 9 Weeks

Options
  • 21-10-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Posted on another posters thread my woe with getting a substitution on a shotgun!
    I handed the application in on the 19th of august, after 2 weeks it became clear that they wanted photo's and referees as well which are not needed but I gave them what they wanted.

I have been in 6 times since about the application and have been fobbed of with various stories.
    On the 12th of october I received a letter saying that my application had been received at the station in question, it was dated the 10th of october.

Today I went in to see where the licence was. The guard on duty said he would look it up, seemed like a nice chap and told me it could take up to 3 months. I got a bit annoyed and told him it had been 9 weeks and started qouting the garda commisioners guidelines! He looked it up and said it had gone to the firearms unit and I should have it in the next two weeks.
    I asked him did they not just enter the details in pulse and it would print in Dublin and he said no that they send it by post to the firearms unit and it is entered manually then.
    This last part is bugging me as I don't think that happens. Anybody kinow for sure?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It sounds very much like two things to me.
    1. They have processed the application as a new application because they made a mistake or you ticked "Firearms Certificate" on your FCA1.
    2. They are simply being slow due to indifference to the laws/guidelines on such substitutions.
    kermitpwee wrote: »
    I asked him did they not just enter the details in pulse and it would print in Dublin and he said no that they send it by post to the firearms unit and it is entered manually then.
    This last part is bugging me as I don't think that happens. Anybody kinow for sure?
    Thanks

In the last two substitutions i done i was standing at the window of the Garda station talking to my FO. Gave him the paperwork, he walked away, came back 5 minutes later. He had gotten the Super to sign off on the FCA1. Then he turned to the computer on his desk, typed for about 2 minutes, and told me;
    thats done for ya now. You'll have the new license in a few days.
    Sure as chips, i received the notification, and new license together 4 days later.

I would get onto the Firearms Policy Unit if you still get no joy. Make sure you have exhausted all avenues because it could get your local Os back up by going "over his head".

If you do contact the FPU tell them your situation, and ask them to investigate it for you. Tell them you have no problem waiting if there is a delay or shortage of manpower, but 9 week exceeds the commissioner's guidelines on a reasonable turnaround by 3 - 4 times (14 day turnaround is the recommended timeframe). Also inform them that on your last visit to check the status that you have been informed that even though the application is a substitution they are processing it as a new application and informed you that it would be another 3 months.

Before ringing the FPU i would make VERY sure that you have all your ducks in row. IOW do not state that you definitely ticked the Substitution box if you are not sure.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on your station. Not every garda station has access to PULSE apparently, and wind up sending paperwork elsewhere to be transcribed onto the system. That's not just for licence applications, but for any use of PULSE:
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-10-20.1123.0

It made the news a while back:
    http://tribune.maithu.com/archive/article/2009/jan/25/pulse-database-still-unavailable-in-less-than-half/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Ezridax wrote: »
    It sounds very much like two things to me.
    1. They are simply being slow due to indifference to the laws/guidelines on such substitutions.

I have the form filled up correctly, what is quoted above is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

My experience is that the whole three months for a new application and 3 weeks for a renewal is complete bull. They can and will take however long they want.

It is an unfortunate situation but it seems you are at the mercy of the system in this country unless you have money for a good solicitor and a lot of time!

Hibrion wrote: »
    My experience is that the whole three months for a new application and 3 weeks for a renewal is complete bull. They can and will take however long they want.

It is an unfortunate situation but it seems you are at the mercy of the system in this country unless you have money for a good solicitor and a lot of time!

Haven't the money for the battle! I have another shotgun so won't be stuck for the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Haven't the money for the battle! I have another shotgun so won't be stuck for the season.

I wish I we're as lucky. I put my substition for my shotgun in on the 14 of september. When I asked how long it will take I was told ' could be six months', and 'we're not gun happy here!'.
    Just joined the local gun club and will be my springers first season out hunting... Open season is nearly here and im cracking up!

Landed on the 1st of November lads, picked it up a beauty Aya 16 bore 28 inch tubes, getting out with it tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Nice one. Post a few pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Landed on the 1st of November lads, picked it up a beauty Aya 16 bore 28 inch tubes, getting out with it tomorrow:D

An unusual choice, but nice and pleasant to shoot.
    I only know one or two folk that shoot a 16g.

Best of luck with it, I was out after deer today but wished I had a Shotty as with all the floods there is Snipe everywhere.

Hope you get a fine Cock tomorrow :D

Hope you get a fine Cock tomorrow :D
    :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement