Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC is the worst ISP for Deep Packet Inspection and throttling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they've obviously never had an *enhanced* pat down at a US airport by the TSA. they could teach UPC a thing or two about deep packet inspection! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Guys

Just wanted to set the record straight for anyone interested.

UPC do NOT do this - you can take this as an official response.

Regards

Jason

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

when I first got my UPC in I got amazing speed on torrents. Now I never get more than 100k on any torrent so I was wondering if they did this.
    Still Could be an issue with the PC. I must try it on another system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Guys

Regards

Jason

But you so obviously do. And you or one of your carriers throttle the **** out of filehosters based in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Lots of threads on here lately about slow speeds on UPC from filesharing sites

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Lots of threads on here lately about slow speeds on UPC from filesharing sites

Fileserve does seem to be slow on UPC (Its fine using a download manager though)/Megaupload is unuseable free (30 or so kb/s)-fine on VPN but I'm not sure if UPC are to blame. I remember reading somewhere that Virgin in the UK (Cable bb there) had similiar problems. Rapidshare always works well on UPC.
    I did the shaping test linked and it said that UPC don't throttle, its a weird one but I think there could be other variables here for UPC to be slow with certain file hosts,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It would be worth noting that those results are suspect - Smart Telecom don't do DPI either but are listed there.

Looks like the information is at least a year and a half out of date too?

Moriarty wrote: »
    It would be worth noting that those results are suspect - Smart Telecom don't do DPI either but are listed there.

Looks like the information is at least a year and a half out of date too?

Smart have been owned by Digiweb since 2009. Digiweb have the reputation of being the cap kings, (nasty rolling caps and throttling etc)

.. Digiweb don't to do any DPI either.

.. Digiweb don't to do any DPI either.

Do you work for them, how do you know they don't?

There's not a provider in the World that doesn't care about the effect torrenting customers has on their network.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

yoyo wrote: »
    Fileserve does seem to be slow on UPC (Its fine using a download manager though)/Megaupload is unuseable free (30 or so kb/s)-fine on VPN but I'm not sure if UPC are to blame. I remember reading somewhere that Virgin in the UK (Cable bb there) had similiar problems. Rapidshare always works well on UPC.
    I did the shaping test linked and it said that UPC don't throttle, its a weird one but I think there could be other variables here for UPC to be slow with certain file hosts,

Nick
    Fileserve is absolutely fúcking useless! Using a premium account I never got more than 350kbps. With rapidshare I average 2.5mbps.

Do you work for them,

Yes.
    how do you know they don't?

Because I'd be one of the people controlling it, if it existed.
    There's not a provider in the World that doesn't care about the effect torrenting customers has on their network.

Well, not really. ISPs can care about the amount of traffic their customers generate, but whether any/all of that is due to torrenting is of little concern to many of them. Digiweb and Smart Telecom don't use DPI and couldn't care less if all people did with their connections was torrent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Fileserve is absolutely fúcking useless! Using a premium account I never got more than 350kbps. With rapidshare I average 2.5mbps.

Agreed, although with multiple file downloads I get decent overall speeds :)

Nick

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yoyo wrote: »
    Agreed, although with multiple file downloads I get decent overall speeds :)

Nick
    have to aggree too, most times if i am downloading a single file on fileserve, I only get about 300ish too, but if I download multiple I can about 1.8mb.
    the odd and I say odd tiem does a single file get 1.8mb... its strange

Well, not really. ISPs can care about the amount of traffic their customers generate, but whether any/all of that is due to torrenting is of little concern to many of them. Digiweb and Smart Telecom don't use DPI and couldn't care less if all people did with their connections was torrent.

And past your CSU/DSU? Just because you don't care, doesn't mean others don't.

And past your CSU/DSU? Just because you don't care, doesn't mean others don't.

Did I say different?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 burt

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Guys

Regards

Jason

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***
    Jsaon,

The funding of these tests is sponsored by some big companies, such as Google and Amazon. You should reach out to the people behind the est and site and get this cleared up. If UPC aren't doing DPI then the tests & monitoring are severly flawed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

burt wrote: »
    If UPC aren't doing DPI then the tests & monitoring are severly flawed.

They wouldn't be the first tests that are flawed.

People are taking these tests as FACT yet here we have two companys clearly saying the test is not accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

So what do these results mean?

I'm with UPC and am able to max out my link (25Mb) with torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I get great torrent speeds but Megavideo has gotten so slow it's unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

+1 with my 100Mb line

Anytime, Day or night!

No issues with bittorrent on upc EVER!

Cabaal wrote: »
    They wouldn't be the first tests that are flawed.

People are taking these tests as FACT yet here we have two companys clearly saying the test is not accurate.

And they are probably correct. But for UPC at least I know connections to Asia are throttled when connecting to popular filehosters. This is most likely done outside of their network somewhere in or on the way to Asia. But I have a contract with UPC which mentions nothing about throttling or DPI. Since their paid for links are doing this, it is UPC responsibility to ensure it doesn't happen to their customers. And since filehosters are throttled, bit torrent almost undoubtedly is. We wouldn't notice though as with popular torrents a fair portion or connections would most likely be within the EU boundary and on the UPC network or direct links to the UPC network.

These tests are surely testing all possible connections across the globe, not just each ISP's own internal network.

These tests are surely testing all possible connections across the globe, not just each ISP's own internal network.

Surely :rolleyes:

But for UPC at least I know connections to Asia are throttled when connecting to popular filehosters.

That's interesting stuff. Have you got any info about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Same here - Never had any speed issues to date

That's interesting stuff. Have you got any info about that?

A single file with a single connection to hotfile, megaupload and fileserve on my 100mb UPC connection will get 40-120kbps. But I can remote into work and with either Smart fibre, Irish broadband fixed wireless or a Eircom Business Dsl line get near or close to near full speed on these lines at the same time. Consistently.

A single file with a single connection to hotfile, megaupload and fileserve on my 100mb UPC connection will get 40-120kbps. But I can remote into work and with either Smart fibre, Irish broadband fixed wireless or a Eircom Business Dsl line get near or close to near full speed on these lines at the same time. Consistently.

That doesn't rule out your infrastructure. Have you tried it in another persons house with UPC preferably someone in a different estate. If you give me your megaupload password I'll be happy to check for ya on mine :D

Oh god!
    That's a UPC fault indeed..
    Post a link to a test file and I will test it on my 100Mb home connection

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Be Curious to See a trace route if you have an IP...

• Advertisement

That doesn't rule out your infrastructure. Have you tried it in another persons house with UPC preferably someone in a different estate. If you give me your megaupload password I'll be happy to check for ya on mine :D

My connection is fine, I work in a technical position with other people who have similar issues throughout our capital.
    M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Oh god!
    That's a UPC fault indeed..
    Post a link to a test file and I will test it on my 100Mb home connection

Difficult to find one that wouldn't get me banned.

http://www.fileserve.com/file/T2heezJ/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso

Can't tell you what speed my lines in work should currently get as its lunch time, the accessible ones are being hammered atm.

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Be Curious to See a trace route if you have an IP...

eircom tracert
    Tracing route to www.fileserve.com [209.222.23.221]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     5 ms     5 ms     6 ms  
      2    24 ms    24 ms    25 ms  
      3    48 ms    38 ms    26 ms  
    ]
      4    27 ms    24 ms    26 ms  
    .65]
      5    38 ms    27 ms    27 ms  tenge-2-2-1.pe1.cwm.cwm-cwm.eircom.net [86.43.252.178]
      6   125 ms   124 ms   121 ms  ge13-1-0.corea.cwm.dublin.eircom.net [86.43.244.45]
      7   106 ms   107 ms   108 ms  pos3-0-0.corea.hud.newyork.eircom.net [83.71.113.114]
      8   117 ms   109 ms   113 ms  nyiix.gi3-6.cr1.nyc1.choopa.net [198.32.160.157]

9   116 ms   127 ms   121 ms  ve27-br1.ewr3.choopa.net [66.55.135.233]
     10   121 ms   125 ms   124 ms  vl3-c58-c6-1.ewr3.choopa.net [66.55.134.186]
     11   107 ms   110 ms   107 ms  209.222.7.82
     12   122 ms   122 ms   124 ms  209.222.7.86
     13   122 ms   123 ms   122 ms  209.222.23.221

I'll post up a UPC one this evening if you want.

Advertisement