Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC is the worst ISP for Deep Packet Inspection and throttling

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

BostonB wrote: »
    I think his amusement was with the was the advice to "buy free movies, games" etc. Assumption being they are legally free.

Yeah that's not what I said, re-read my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think he missed the sarcasm - perhaps deliberately to make a funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the thread isn't about uses for bittorrent though.
    if you won't continue on the actual topic of the discussion (UPC's track record with DPI) what's the point of posting?

subway wrote: »
    the thread isn't about uses for bittorrent though.
    if you won't continue on the actual topic of the discussion (UPC's track record with DPI) what's the point of posting?

Well if it weren't for so many people 'misusing' the bittorrent protocol then not many people would have that much to complain about? Infact if it weren't for people misusing said protocol and almost crippling some ISPs with bandwidth costs then this wouldn't even be an issue in the first place.

Basically... I hate it when people whinge about this kind of stuff. If you desperately want that movie for free then why aren't you willing to wait for it? If you want instant gratification go out and buy it... UPC aren't there to facilitate your illicit torrenting no matter how much you try and excuse it.

Achilles wrote: »
    Well if it weren't for so many people 'misusing' the bittorrent protocol then not many people would have that much to complain about? Infact if it weren't for people misusing said protocol and almost crippling some ISPs with bandwidth costs then this wouldn't even be an issue in the first place.

Basically... I hate it when people whinge about this kind of stuff. If you desperately want that movie for free then why aren't you willing to wait for it? If you want instant gratification go out and buy it... UPC aren't there to facilitate your illicit torrenting no matter how much you try and excuse it.
    ok, i was trying to figure out if you work for UPC, are just soapboxing about piracy or actually have some useful contribution to make.
    thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement

ok, i was trying to figure out if you work for UPC, are just soapboxing about piracy or actually have some useful contribution to make.
    thanks for clearing that up.

I don't work for UPC... I'm not soapboxing. I actually support piracy only when used to circumvent restrictions that were put in place to restrict legitimate buyers.

I'd be lying if I said I had never downloaded anything... I just hate to see people whinging like 'OMG IT'S ONLY GOING AT 600Kbps when it should be going at 2MB/sec'.

So what? Who really cares? Wait a little bit and stfu...

So what? Who really cares? Wait a little bit and stfu...

wow, complaining that you think others complain too much, how does that make sense?

boards is a discussion forum. and registered users are simply discussing an aspect of network performance in the "nets & comms" sub-forum.

its more than a little frustrating that you are the only person obsessing over the fact that bittorrent can be used for piracy. no one else wants or needs to discuss the piracy aspect, just the performance issue. if you cant let that go, if you really cannot just allow people to discuss things generally, there are ranting forums that don't entail trolling / baiting other users.

wow, complaining that you think others complain too much, how does that make sense?

boards is a discussion forum. and registered users are simply discussing an aspect of network performance in the "nets & comms" sub-forum.

its more than a little frustrating that you are the only person obsessing over the fact that bittorrent can be used for piracy. no one else wants or needs to discuss the piracy aspect, just the performance issue. if you cant let that go, if you really cannot just allow people to discuss things generally, there are ranting forums that don't entail trolling / baiting other users.

The simple fact is the majority of bittorrent users misuse the protocol for piracy... and they're complaining about it being slow. Trying to say that it's anything else is lunacy as although some legit services do use the bittorrent protocol to distribute updates etc they're few and far between.

So my point is a bunch of people are basically whinging about their illegal downloads being slow and I think people really need to have some perspective where that's concerned. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

users paying an ISP for anything up to 120mbps/10mbps broadband with a 500gb cap, shouldn't have to worry about speed issues if they stay within those limits regardless of what they are using it for, as that is what the ISP is selling.

if it can't provide the product it is selling to the people it is selling it to then those people have every right to complain about performance issues, the same as any other service delivery.

that said i have no problems with mine, it works just as it's supposed to and i'm very happy with it. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    users paying an ISP for anything up to 120mbps/10mbps broadband with a 500gb cap, shouldn't have to worry about speed issues if they stay within those limits regardless of what they are using it for, as that is what the ISP is selling.

if it can't provide the product it is selling to the people it is selling it to then those people have every right to complain about performance issues, the same as any other service delivery.

that said i have no problems with mine, it works just as it's supposed to and i'm very happy with it. :)
    So if somebody was to use said connection and let's say launch a DDOS attack against somebody would they have a right to complain that they couldn't attack said person fast enough?

Anyway you all seem to be forgetting that you're paying for a service with inherent terms and conditions which you agreed to and signed up for when you created the contract between you and UPC.

If you get 1.4Mb/sec or 2.0Mb/sec on a torrent is it really that much of a big deal?

Ohh no it took an extra four minutes to download! I WANT THAT TIME BACK!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Achilles,
    Please keep on topic, this thread is is not about piracy, it is certainly not about DDOS attacks.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Achilles,
    Please keep on topic, this thread is is not about piracy, it is certainly not about DDOS attacks.
    It's about people whinging about DPI on a service with inherent terms and conditions.

I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the matter?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's about people whinging about DPI on a service with inherent terms and conditions.

You certainly are however you are pulling the thread off topic by ranting on about piracy which is speculation on your part and belittle others users asking them to telling them to shut the f*ck up.

Given your unprovoked insult directed at another user count yourself lucky I haven't banned you for a week,

Your either discussing DPI and the bittorent protocol (not its potential uses) or your not.

Now back on topic...

Cabaal wrote: »

You certainly are however you are pulling the thread off topic by ranting on about piracy which is speculation on your part and belittle others users asking them to telling them to shut the f*ck up.

Given your unprovoked insult directed at another user count yourself lucky I haven't banned you for a week,

Your either discussing DPI and the bittorent protocol (not its potential uses) or your not.

Now back on topic...
    I wasn't telling any one user to stfu that was a general statement regarding people who have that kind of attitude.

I have been discussing DPI, I'm also trying to say that really in the grand scheme of things even if UPC did throttle (which they don't) would it really make that much of a difference to download speeds? Not really.

Cabaal what services do you use BitTorrent for that would get you on UPC's case regarding slow downloads only on torrents. Do people really download that many linux isos constantly and on a continual basis that they'd need to complain about such a slowdown of the service?

Somehow I doubt it. DPI is bad but unfortunately sometimes when users take the piss where bandwidth is concerned it can be a necessary evil.

BitTorrent uses a lot more resources on a network than most people realise and one user really can cripple a network for other people if they always have BT on the go.

People are getting the service that they've paid for under the terms and conditions that they've agreed to. You'd find it hard to join any isp that doesn't have similar fair use policies.

Achilles, I've asked you nicely not to go off topic again and once again your rambling on about piracy.

Your also questioning a mods decision on thread which is against boards.ie rules, you are on boards long enough to know this.

Infracted, if you go off topic again I'm afraid its a ban

Advertisement