Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on motherboard & video card for developer build

Options
  • 21-10-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm planning on building a PC which will be mainly used for software development. That means little need for a powerful graphics card, but I do need dual monitor support.

I've been looking at buying a pre-built from Dell, but get the feeling I'm paying a premium when I could buy the parts and build it myself, so if it really saves money I will order the parts and do a self build.

Rough specs I'm looking at are:
    Intel Core i3-2100 (I think this is the lowest end Sandy Bridge, is it actually worth it versus a cheaper AMD? I'm not encoding video, I will be running a single Virtual Machine)
    4GB Ram
    Regular 1TB disk
    Creative Audigy SoundCard (This is kinda old, but I suspect it's still very decent, want a decent card for some DSP projects, but I'm not a doing any mixing or anything)
    2x 20" monitor
    Any graphics card that supports dual monitor and has Linux drivers

Here's the thing, every time I get to the stage of choosing a motherboard / graphics cards I get lost, there are so many choices now (7 pages on Hardwareversand!) and I have no idea if I'm going to buy something completely inappropriate. The version numbering system the graphics/cpu and motherboard manufacturers use are really confusing.

I'd love to spend sub €800 but if it's not possible that's fine. Not looking for someone to do all the work for me either, but if you had some advice on a motherboard / graphics card or something I should change in my current spec I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

DaSilva wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm planning on building a PC which will be mainly used for software development. That means little need for a powerful graphics card, but I do need dual monitor support.

I've been looking at buying a pre-built from Dell, but get the feeling I'm paying a premium when I could buy the parts and build it myself, so if it really saves money I will order the parts and do a self build.

Rough specs I'm looking at are:
    Intel Core i3-2100 (I think this is the lowest end Sandy Bridge, is it actually worth it versus a cheaper AMD? I'm not encoding video, I will be running a single Virtual Machine)
    4GB Ram
    Regular 1TB disk
    Creative Audigy SoundCard (This is kinda old, but I suspect it's still very decent, want a decent card for some DSP projects, but I'm not a doing any mixing or anything)
    2x 20" monitor
    Any graphics card that supports dual monitor and has Linux drivers

Here's the thing, every time I get to the stage of choosing a motherboard / graphics cards I get lost, there are so many choices now (7 pages on Hardwareversand!) and I have no idea if I'm going to buy something completely inappropriate. The version numbering system the graphics/cpu and motherboard manufacturers use are really confusing.

I'd love to spend sub €800 but if it's not possible that's fine. Not looking for someone to do all the work for me either, but if you had some advice on a motherboard / graphics card or something I should change in my current spec I'd be grateful.

€800 will easily be enough, but if your running a VM youd be better with a i5 2500k, as the i3 is one dual core

i

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't have thought software development required much power so I'd assume an i3 is fine. The two monitors might mean splashing a bit on a graphics card as I know running 3 monitors requires some pretty expensive GC.

I would say get a good motherboard that will accept much more powerful processors so that you have scope in the future I've gotten well over 5 years out of any motherboard I've bought because I could just put a new CPU in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i stand corrected, but doesnt the K series processors lack something useful in hardware accelerated VMs? i think going for the standard i7-2600 is the option most people take.
    you can run 3 monitors off any 5000+ series AMD gpu comfortably if you're not doing gaming.

Advertisement