Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in concrete yard

• 21-10-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am hoping to rehome a dog soon. I have an enclosed back yard but no grass, only concrete. Just wondering how people deal with doggie toileting issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No grass isn't a problem as long as the dog gets access to grass on walks dogs like to chew and roll on it so as long as the dog gets to get on some grass every day it's fine. You could plant some grass in pots if the dog likes to chew on it.

Concrete wise if pee is left on for long it can smell but when you're in a hurry just throw a bucked of water on it to dilute it and then every time you go to clean the concrete it'll be easier. Use hot soapy water and when the dog isn't in the garden you can wash down with something stronger like a bleach solution.

The dog will still pee n poop on it some dogs do prefer grass to pee on though but when it's raining my smallest will only poop and pee on the tarmac he doesn't like getting his paws too wet.

You could make a sandbox that's sectioned off and use non toxic childrens play sand in it. But most dogs will get used to it but with plenty of walkies on grass that'll cut down on the amount of poops n pees at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

Just need to keep it as clean as you can and make sure you have a hose!

I have two rescue dogs and basically in the morning first thing they go out and do their business and I pick up the poo and hose down the pee. They used to be outside all day but these days I leave them in so when I come home its the same thing - straight out and I clean up.

Either way outside or inside you just clean up once they go or once you come home if you are away.

Summer can be a bit of a pain (especially as I have young kids) but now the kids tell me immediately and fight over who gets the hose :D.

Apparently you can train them to go in a particular spot - I only heard about this in the latter years and my gals are too old to even try but if you are just beginning........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You definitely need a hose if possible- we have tap outside and a hose with a trigger/gun attached - the gun has different spray patterns and you get good pressure from it compared to the tap and hose on it's own. My dog wees out the back and prefers to poo out the front in the grass/leaves. For the wee I have a watering can of Safe4Pets odor destroyer and I just pour than on the wee and brush it in then once a week spray it and pour some jeyes fluid solution over it, brush it with a yard brush and wash it down again - when we use jeyes we don't let him back out until it's dried in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lanners

Thanks guys, really helpful. I don't have a tap outside unfortunately but I'll figure something out!

Really looking forward to getting him/her but just want to get the practicalities figured out first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

You can get a tap fitted outside for cheap, about 50 euro. I recomend a power washer. I couldnt live without mine.

Mine dont have any grass at all, but get walked on grass (just watch out for foxes poo, I had a lovely drive home this morning :mad:)

Best of luck with the new dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Justask wrote: »
    Mine dont have any grass at all, but get walked on grass (just watch out for foxes poo, I had a lovely drive home this morning :mad:)

Best of luck with the new dog

Fox poop really is the vilest of vile smells, I feel your pain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I have a long hose piled on top of the bin outside my back door; I cut a short section off this; long enough to reach outside from the kitchen tap and a few extra feet to move about with. I use the short one to connect to the hot tap and hose the mud off fido without freezing her to death, and I swap the adaptor over and use the long bit for the cold tap and practical functions!!! I don't have an outside tap but this works perfectly for me. The pipework was too messy to get one in!
    Dog is happy, everything is clean, I'm kept sane ( sort of!)

Best of luck with your new 4 footed friend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lanners

Great suggestions. Might go with a hose from the kitchen tap to start with, combined with regular walks in the park, and see how we go.
    You could make a sandbox that's sectioned off and use non toxic childrens play sand in it. But most dogs will get used to it but with plenty of walkies on grass that'll cut down on the amount of poops n pees at home.

Also like the sound of this, and have heard of similar suggestions with mulch etc. This may be a silly question:confused::confused: - obviously the poop would be removed and disposed of, but does the pee just go in and soak through? Do you change the sand regularly, or how does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dunno; billet if it helps I have noticed that
    Mine will not "go" in the same place ; even if it's picked up; unless it's well hosed/ rained on. Suppose they can still smell subliminal pongs that are too feint for human noses !!!

Like the idea thou; tried to restrict mine to only one part of the garden but unless it's spotlessly clean she won't go!!!!

You'll have a ball with your new dog; best of luck : )

PS mine skinned her elbows on the concrete from prancing around to much: can you put a shelter with a thick dryable rug or wood floor that you can put old towels onto for your dog so she's somewhere nice and softer to lie in : )

Advertisement