Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Planting .5 ha

• 21-10-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Im contemplating expanding my FEPS plantation by approx .5 ha with broadleaves. I'd like to do it myself rather than employ a forestry contractor. The land is good quality clay-based, well drained and will be adjoining a field of ash with a good hedgerow in-between. I'd figure just slit planting a variety of natives with some fruit trees to comply with feps additional measures.
    Any advice /tips would be appreciated!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

is the area of ash beside it drained? if it is id strongly recommend you drain the new piece you're planting....choose your species wisely, some may not do very well in your area for whatever reasons..you want to ensure good survival seen as you are covering costs.

..look into possible deer in the area since the other ash was planted, are there hares that will devour oak or birch? even wit a mixed wood id still recommend you choose no more than 3 species to cover approx 75% of the area and mix and match with the remainder(if you plant a completly integrated mix of lets say 8 species you'll find that in 20 years time 3 or 4 species will probably be dominating the others so plant in groups of 15-50 trees to ensure a few mature trees of each species and a good mix in the canopy in the long term)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

On poorly drained ground over 15 years I've found ash beat sycamore out of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Also be sure to control the grass. Trees with a clear area around then grow on average 66% more than plants with little or no weed control. After 3-4 years you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 treefan

thanks for your replies..

The adjoining land is a bit lower but I suppose would be a good idea to drain first. Looking into this further, after allowing for draining, purchasing the stems, planting and fencing, maybe not totally discount the forester option(!).

PS. dont have any hares but tons of rabbits; would love to use spirals but dont think could stretch to 1000+ of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

treefan wrote: »
    thanks for your replies..

maybe not totally discount the forester option(!).

PS. dont have any hares but tons of rabbits; would love to use spirals but dont think could stretch to 1000+ of them!

on a few sites i've planted where rabbits were an issue i put 4 rows of tree guards around the edge and the rabbits seem to be put off enough not to come in to the middle as much. or else you could plant big ash (80cm+) as 4 or 5 rows around the edge and rabbits mightnt do as much harm

• Advertisement
Advertisement