Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic waste collection - are we being conned?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I recently received a letter in the post indicating the the private operator who is collecting waste on behalf of South Dublin Co. Co. is 'changing' their price structure which will now include an annual flat fee of €60 in addition to a charge per lift/weight. I decided to look into what other operators were out there for West Dublin and how much it would cost to use them. Little did I expect that it would prove so difficult and complicated to compare or get a good deal that encourages people to minimise their waste production.
    I decided to create a spreadsheet to compare prices and offers (which I have attached for anyone interested - prices as far as I can make out are applicable for South / West Dublin but it's not an exact science as the info is provided in so many different formats).
    There does not appear to be any requirement for these private operators to provide the information in a comparable form so, as a customer, I can make an informed decision regarding the best option for myself.
    Has anyone else been more successful figuring this out?

As far as I can make out from my calculations, anyone who works hard to minimise their waste production is now going to have to subsidise those people who won't because private waste collection operators are focussed on marketing and profit rather than reducing waste production.
    Where is the government policy on this? I thought we were supposed to be trying to reduce waste rather than support those who won't bother.
    All comments welcome.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement