Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is dromroe a charity??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As you described. If you're intent in finding a scandal, knock yourself out.

Revenue is satisfied that the company is operating in accordance with it's procedures for charitable companies. Otherwise it wouldn't grant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

kflynn wrote: »
    Also whay wasnt the C&S money taken from the 5 million?

Plassey Trust/Plassey Campus Centre/Campus Life Services are completely different to anything ULSU or C&S related.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

No but they could of loaned the money! All odds to me anyway personally dont think its right but not going to keep me up at night!
    Thanks for the explanations....

The composure of PCC vs ULSU is completely different. The governing bodies only share one person in common, which is the SU president. The SU president is the only student representative within PCC. PCC's aims and objectives don't have to align with the SU.

Why would they enter into a loan to the Students' Union?

Because they are a 'charity' and because taking 60k from a pot of 60k is a lot different from taking 60k from a pot of 5million.

Like I said all odds I am not part of C&S so it didnt effect me, just think fair is fair but maybe I do not know enough.

My point was of they are a charity they should be doing something for all students not just students that can afford to live on campus. I have never known a charity to be for people who can afford to live in the 'best' accomodation.

Thanks for all the replies!

• Advertisement

Derek

In no way am I trying to find a scandal......I wanted to know why, if you dont ask you wont know!

That's kinda like asking Trócaire to give C&S 60k since it's a charity... It just wouldn't make sense.

PCC isn't involved in the provision of clubs and societies to University students (to the best of my knowledge), just like Trócaire isn't involved in the same.

This is getting a bit crazy.

Trocaire spend the money on people in need though, so obviously they wouldnt give it to something like this!?????

Why wouldnt they? 60k isnt a lot out of 5 million, and it was for the good of a lot of students.....it would of been the better of two bad options!

Also I thought they are a charity because they are part of the college so......

This is my last post I made my point.

I'm trying to facilitate your understanding. What's getting crazy?

Your question was answered already by ninty9er:
    Yes Derek but if its a charity either money should be invested in the college or the villages should be available to every one not just people with a few bob......Otherwise it is not a charity and should pay its taxes like everybody else!
    ninty9er wrote: »
    And that's exactly as it is.

They reinvest monies back into the college. They invest in a manner that is aligned with it's objectives and that seeks to (assumingly) maximise return (and hence reinvestment).

I'm sure that PCC has a robust governance structure and chooses to invest funds in an appropriate manner. If you have questions about this, I'm the SU president might be able to help your understanding of the scope if PCC's operations if you wished to go meet him.

Where in that answer did he tell me what is going where?? I still have no idea what percentage if anything goes to the students who need it(as they are a charity)?

Hope this makes my question clearer.....Definitely my last post here now :D

• Advertisement

money should be invested in the college
    ninty9er wrote: »
    And that's exactly as it is.
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    They reinvest monies back into the college.
    Clearer?
    I still have no idea what percentage if anything goes to the students who need it(as they are a charity)?
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    They invest in a manner that is aligned with it's objectives and that seeks to (assumingly) maximise return (and hence reinvestment).

I'm sure that PCC has a robust governance structure and chooses to invest funds in an appropriate manner.
    If you really want a greater understanding of their objectives, why don't you address them? Here's the website. You'll find postal address, email address, phone number, fax number, etc... www.ul.ie/campuslife

Advertisement