Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Facts or Myths

Options
  • 21-10-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Ok, things you have heard but can't confirm.

I heard there is an underground tunnel that leads from the North Cathedral to that nice red brick house on Pope's Quay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

theres a tunnel going from coburg street to collins barracks

this is true as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Go to this tonight and you might hear more - http://corkskeptics.org/2011/10/14/ghost_hunters_inc_october_21st/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

tommy21 wrote: »
    Go to this tonight and you might hear more - http://corkskeptics.org/2011/10/14/ghost_hunters_inc_october_21st/

Nah, I don't hang out with losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

don't be insulting please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's evidence in the Cork archives of a tunnel which ran from the old period houses near blackrock castle to close to the South Infirmary. I was shown it a while back by a guy researching it for some book he was writing, but the book never made it to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd say there's loads of undiscovered - Dublin has loads of tunnels & underground structures - churches etc - why not cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

There's a tunnel under the road and houses on the atlantic homecare side of the Lough community centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

theres a tunnel going from coburg street to collins barracks

this is true as far as i know

That's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Considering that cork is a bog is it really probable that so many tunnels exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah pants I just saw this would have liked to go...Never knew there were so many tunnells around the place..Should have a group to go explore them

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah pants I just saw this would have liked to go.........

+1 :(

RoverJames wrote: »
    +1 :(

But doesn't that also make you guys ... losers? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Are there really tunnels around the city? One of my classmates told me there were tunnels near the docks and that we were going to organise an art exhibition there. I got really excited and told all the rest of my class and spread the news. Turned out he made it all up just to make a fool out of me, I was well pissed off!
    Are there any links to pictures or the history of them or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I also heard it is possible to scuba through some of the old canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ainu

on a less tunnel related note. Did you guys ever hear that the architect who designed Trinity Presbyterian Church killed himself after the building was finished because the spire is crooked? Heard that story on the sightseeing bus :)

Ainu wrote: »
    on a less tunnel related note. Did you guys ever hear that the architect who designed Trinity Presbyterian Church killed himself after the building was finished because the spire is crooked? Heard that story on the sightseeing bus :)

Wait - he killed himself for some other reason and the guy who finished it off did a bad job, or he killed himself because he couldn't get the spire right himself?

Wait - he killed himself for some other reason and the guy who finished it off did a bad job, or he killed himself because he couldn't get the spire right himself?

Im not sure tbh. By the sound of it he was just so embarrassed that the spire was crooked that he committed suicide. i think. reputation and the likes....

Im not sure tbh. By the sound of it he was just so embarrassed that the spire was crooked that he committed suicide. i think. reputation and the likes....

Actually some ancient memory in me tells me it was that, heard this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a similar story about the architect and the church in Turner's Cross.

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »

You know what, that's what I was thinking of, thanks!

Why did that guy kill himself? What was wrong with the church?

Why did that guy kill himself? What was wrong with the church?

Exactly your story.

Exactly your story.

alright. never looked at it that closely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Should have got a Dub down to do it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The architect of Christ the King in Turners Cross was killed after being struck by an automobile driven by William Harridge, the former president of Major League Baseball's American League. He designed Christ the King almost 35 years before.

It is considered to be the first modernist building in Ireland and is one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

evilivor wrote: »
    The architect of Christ the King in Turners Cross was killed after being struck by an automobile driven by William Harridge, the former president of Major League Baseball's American League. He designed Christ the King almost 35 years before.

It is considered to be the first modernist building in Ireland and is one of my favourites.

and is one of the largest suspended-ceiling churches in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Our Lady's Hospital has tunnels too I heard, so they could ferry patients from one end to the other, without the public seeing them.

Our Ladys in Abandoned Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I know a tunnel runs under the buildings on the river side of McCurtain Street, the whole lenght of the street. My Dad bought me down to it when he used to work in a buisness on the street but was a bit dangerous and freaky to go all the way, he said he has though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Christ the king church was also Irelands first concrete church.

Whats the story behind the tunnels? Are they something to do with draines waterways or used for maintenance of the waterways under the roads?

Other interesting tid bits would include:
    Dogs drinking bowl on pana
    the church by the triskel lost its spire or cross(cant remember the story) from a cannonball during the 1690 williamite siege of cork. Theres a cannonball from the siege on display in st finnbarrs cathedral.
    The steps outside buildings on south mall are because they were all boat houses when it was still a waterway.
    Barracks street often had heads impaled displayed there form various rebellions etc.
    North and south main street were named from the city gates at either end.
    Elizabeth fort was a black and tan base - you can walk the ramparts but locals never seem to.
    First steam ship to cross the atlantic left from cork.

Good pic of underground waterway on grand parade here but they are all over the place.
    http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/stpatricksstreet/historicoutline/

Advertisement