Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHIPPING OUT!!

Options
  • 21-10-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Me and my girlfriend have finally after a long deliberation decide while we're still pretty young to move to Aus for maybe a year of so, i'm a Carpenter and she has a Bsoc in Social Scince form UCC.

We havn't got the first clue about, jobs, renting houses, buying a car or the tax system......

I have a few questions maybe people could share there expirences and add some info to help us out.

1. Which city would be best for people to begin with? (we are not looking for the party scene)

2. Is it hard to find jobs and would people recommend looking for work before we leave Ireland?

3. Will we need to organise any thing before we leave apart from a Visa?

4. Is any time of the year better to go than others?

5. Is there anything we can do on this side before leave to improve our chances in the labour market

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Can i ask what age you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Have a read of these threads they will pretty much cover all your answers
    Massive WHV work info thread here
    RightyAbe's (Brilliant) guide to a WHV here
    The moving to Oz thread

But a general answer
    1. Which city would be best for people to begin with? (we are not looking for the party scene)
    Sydney, Melb, Perth or Brissie - the choice is yours, all different.
    Sydney is Large and loud, Melb cool and arty, Perth & Brissie laid back and all year weather. Perth and surrounding areas have a lot of need for construction workers

2. Is it hard to find jobs and would people recommend looking for work before we leave Ireland?
    No, and not really, getting a job on a WHV before hand is pretty hard, it can be done, but in general recruitment agents / companies would like to meet you first. But if you have any contacts a carpenter might be in demand

3. Will we need to organise any thing before we leave apart from a Visa?
    Accomm for the first week (you have no idea how painful jetlag is)

4. Is any time of the year better to go than others?
    Ideally Oct-Nov, Jan-Mar (to get the sun) xmas is great but accomm can be a nightmare

5. Is there anything we can do on this side before leave to improve our chances in the labour market.
    Without being smart - just work exp, also if you are looking in the future for sponsorship/residency, then sort out your papers first (do a search for trade papers on the forum) to see how you can get certified etc.

Advertisement