Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership in Athlone area

Options
  • 21-10-2011 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

hey guys, looking to join a decent gym in Athlone.

Is it possible to join a gym for a period of 3 months rather than committing for the whole year?

Does anyone have any decent recommendations?

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm in the same boat. There are 3 that I have found. The Athlone Springs Hotel. Around 45-50 euro a month, but for me the equipment isn't right. Too many machines and not enough loose weights and benches etc. Then there's the leisure centre, better equipped, same price roughly, but includes free membership for upto 3 kids too which is handy if you want to bring them swimming anytime. But I'm worried this gym is gonna get too busy on an evening. I need to get in their on a monday evening or similar to have a look as this is the kind of time I'd be training. They have plenty of bikes etc, but the weights area would be cramped with a few people in there. The 3rd option is Peak Physique at leisure world, on the industrial estate by Athlone Extrusions. Decently equipped gym, would be quieter, and membership is 6 or 12 monthly. You pay I think around 130 euro for 6 months or 200 euro for 12 months. So this is the cheapest option. I'll prob be going for this one. Although I would've liked the free membership for the kids at the leisure centre, the idea of having to wait around for equipment would put me off.
    Don't know of anymore so far.
    One thing I've noticed with all 3 gyms, is that none of them have any equipment to train your calves :confused: , and no decent leg press machines. :(
    Let me know if you find anymore, and good luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

hi

I'm a member of the sports centre and find it very good, my o/h used to be a member of peak physique and he finds the sports centre much better, (more machines better opening hours etc..)

but i did see on i think it's living social, for €20 you get 10 passes to the Athlone Springs gym & pool. thought it might be a good way for you to try it out? also you can do pass as you go in the sports centre, so why not try both and then decide who to get membership with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

thanks very much for the info

The main issue I have though is that I am not looking for a full years membership, thats the crux of it really

Will Athlone Springs or the Sports centre allow you to pay for 3 months membership? I have enquired about both but received no reply yet.

I am only in the area for 3 months so it would be a waste joining for the whole year you see.

I know they look for direct debit payments, I wonder could i sign up and just cut off the direct debit after 3 months without penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

The sports centre were running an offer over the summer for 3 months membership for €99 if you ring them and ask they might offer it to you again?

What part of town will you be staying in, Springs and sports centre are opposite sides of the town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

to be honest either side of town will do as i have the car

that sounds like a really good deal for 3 months, ill take a look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

what do people think of the gym in the Radisson in athlone?

is it any good? the rates are very reasonable

I hadn't realised they had one, I'll take a look at that. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I hadn't realised they had one, I'll take a look at that. cheers.

Check the gym in the sheraton too, i've heard a lot of good reports about it

Checked out the gym in the Radisson, pretty 5h1te to be honest. I asked the staff where the rest of it was, but there wasn't any :eek:
    I'll take a look at Sheraton when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MunsterRoss

Sheraton Fitness is the one to check out, really good gym & the equipment is very good life fitness new touch screen range, each machine has a TV + mp3 & ipod dock. and the instructors are around all the time very good programs & friendly, full range of weights. loads of classes Spinning, Body sculpt, kick & tone, Body Shock, etc (Free) morning , lunch time & evening. Pool is cool too hydro jets all over the place really nice plus lanes, Sauna & Steam Room. this is a members only club so never to busy check it out they actually show you around.:)

http://www.sheratonathlonehotel.com/sheraton-leisure-centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Hey,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'll be in Athlone for a few months starting soon and will be looking for a good gym for 3-4 months. Absolutely NOT interested in classes, machines, saunas or pools what's key for me is a good range of free weights, proper squat and bench racks and a few kettles would be good :)

Cheers

Advertisement