Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budding carpenter?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

hey guys i hope someone could help me out here,

i love woodwork and carpentry and am 16 at the moment in fourth year, im wondering is there room in ireland for more carpenters would you recommend it as a profession? what would be the best way of going about it and getting started college? or apprenticeship? any think you guys could tell me that i need to know would be very appreciated (sorry if the questions are stupid)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

plenty of carpenters always room for a good one doe

ever think of restoration plenty of work there if you get in with the right guy

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

never had the chance to try it, not with wood anyways

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

+1 for restoration maybe even boats :D there is also a bit of work in fitting out boats and replacing timbers but the thing is nowadays like everything else no one wants to pay :eek: Garden decking was a good earner for a while but even that has slowed down. Hopefully by the time your qualified things will pick up.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

i left school at 16 to do carpentry am now 23 i hated school i was at second fixing for 2 years on sites i done an apprentiship through fas it all depends on what type of carpentry you want to do e.g kitchen fitting, cabinet making,timber frame houses or joinery

ur best bet would be try asking some of these places for a bit of work experince to see what really suits you i done this in a joinery shop and it wasnt for me.

now you could offer to work for free on a saturday just to see what you like because there isnt to much work out there at the min.

you might be lucky and get saturday work or if your really lucky get an apprentiship out of it.

but my advise to you would be stay and do your laeving cert but keep looking
    for an apprentiship

oh yeah a good carpenter will never be out of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

oh yeah a good carpenter will never be out of work[/QUOTE]

dont agree with that plenty of good lads out of work

also if your going into a work shop do a bit of research dont go into a cabinit making shop and say you want to do carpentry and that goes for jionery to and when you go in just make sure you have a basic understanding of what the trade is about this shows your level of interest to the person thats talking to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

thanks alot guys

Advertisement