Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Xbox for 2013?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

I am not sure what the time gap is between the consoles but I am sure the rumours that are beginning to circulate aren't too far off the mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

They've mentioned it on Gamespot.com too. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm in no hurry to dive into a new gen just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No it wont be out. 2014 would be my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No it wont be out. 2014 would be my bet.
    agree, bad company 4 here we come ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

2013/2014 would make this the longest generation in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

We ain't seeing a new Xbox for at least two years and realistically three years.

My guesstimation is Q4 2014 bundled with not-so-Modern Warfare 9 & Halo: Reached, the prequel's sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd be very surprised if we don't have an announcement at E3 next year. Battlefield 3 Beta is just one of the recent examples were I've thought that the machine is past it in terms of graphics performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'd be very surprised if we don't have an announcement at E3 next year. Battlefield 3 Beta is just one of the recent examples were I've thought that the machine is past it in terms of graphics performance.

but,but....the the "beta" looked the same on xbox an ps3!!!
    i do not belive we will see a new box till the end of 2013,
    most likely 2014.the xbox is still holdin its own,for the most part.
    against the ps3,in multi plat at least.

and i do think the new box will be out before the new ps.
    have to say,that was a ****e beta!if it was even that!
    ms are only starting delevoping the new box now
    they do not want the same problems they had with this gen.
    (ie.rush it out)
    so i do not think (hope)they will make the same mistakes this time
    round:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

They better not screw up like they did last time. I don't want to have my Xbox 720 repaired six times....like my 360.

All consoles have problems... all future consoles will have problems... it's tech and the nature of the beast is that all tech suffer from problems!

MS are not going to over-engineer the new console (neither are PS or Nintendo), they will build it as cost effectively as possible to increase profit and keep the retail price as low as possible. Therefore, it will ultimately have some problems on a very small percentage.

Zero problems means they over manufactured it and are probably loosing money during the manufacturing/assembly process and too high a percentage of failures becomes a PR nightmare and also costs too much on warranty. What they'll be looking for is a happy/justifiable medium between the two.

The 360 only found that happy medium when the jasper model was released. I've suffered eight or nine RRoD's since launch over a number of different consoles, lost count! So I have every right to be severely pissed off but I'm not, it was always handled quickly and professionally by MS. Mistakes happen, things break, that's life but how it's handled is the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

All consoles have problems... all future consoles will have problems... it's tech and the nature of the beast is that all tech suffer from problems!

MS are not going to over-engineer the new console (neither are PS or Nintendo), they will build it as cost effectively as possible to increase profit and keep the retail price as low as possible. Therefore, it will ultimately have some problems on a very small percentage.

Zero problems means they over manufactured it and are probably loosing money during the manufacturing/assembly process and too high a percentage of failures becomes a PR nightmare and also costs too much on warranty. What they'll be looking for is a happy/justifiable medium between the two.

The 360 only found that happy medium when the jasper model was released. I've suffered eight or nine RRoD's since launch over a number of different consoles, lost count! So I have every right to be severely pissed off but I'm not, it was always handled quickly and professionally by MS. Mistakes happen, things break, that's life but how it's handled is the key!

Fair enough the console breaking doesn't seem to have bothered you and you're happy with the Customer Service but if it was anything else like a car or phone which totally failed you'd be raging. Think its the fact that there's so much invested into games that people are happy to keep going back to Microsoft.

Also the amount of RRoD's did harm the xbox image so they definitely didn't find that happy medium and I'd imagine they'll have to push for as close as possible to 100% efficiency this time around.

Personally I can see the next xbox being announced at the next E3 and getting a 2013 release because once the Wii U comes out xbox will have the worst hardware of all the consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Battlefield 3 Beta is just one of the recent examples were I've thought that the machine is past it in terms of graphics performance.

Have you played Rage or Forza 4, fantastic looking games.

Also BF3 is in standard def, you have to install the full game to get the high res textures. BF3 will be a great looking game no doubt. The install is optional for 360 because not everyone has a HDD but it's mandatory for the PC and PS3.

The BF3 beta is a 2 month old build of the game, it's more Alpha than anything.

Personally I can see the next xbox being announced at the next E3 and getting a 2013 release because once the Wii U comes out xbox will have the worst hardware of all the consoles.

The WiiU will only be on par with the 360 spec wise. And why jump too soon, MS may want to hold back and make a big spec jump like Sony did with PS2-PS3. So what about having the lowest spec hardware, the PS2 did and was the best console of it's generation sales wise.

I reckon MS will say something at E3'12 and maybe a release at the very end of 2013 to mid 2014 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well microsoft are hiring for devs of the next gen console, so my guess would be Xmas 2013 or early 2014

Fair enough the console breaking doesn't seem to have bothered you and you're happy with the Customer Service but if it was anything else like a car or phone which totally failed you'd be raging. Think its the fact that there's so much invested into games that people are happy to keep going back to Microsoft.

Also the amount of RRoD's did harm the xbox image so they definitely didn't find that happy medium and I'd imagine they'll have to push for as close as possible to 100% efficiency this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely upset until the jasper models came out but it's not like MS ignored the issue. When I had a problem, they solved it pretty quickly.

In saying that, if the new console came out with a fault as serious as RRoD, then that would be a pretty serious issue. However, that's highly unlikely. I would expect it to have similar build quality to the new S model and I think we'd all be pretty happy with that.

I'd say Sony and MS are both just having a staring match at this stage, neither wants to harm their current products before the other crowd does. I'd be amazed if there isn't a new console in Europe before summer '13.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

The WiiU will only be on par with the 360 spec wise. And why jump too soon, MS may want to hold back and make a big spec jump like Sony did with PS2-PS3. So what about having the lowest spec hardware, the PS2 did and was the best console of it's generation sales wise.

I reckon MS will say something at E3'12 and maybe a release at the very end of 2013 to mid 2014 at the earliest.

Not saying they'll jump the gun but as I said and you said Announced next year and released 2013, I'd imagine they'll try to catch the 2013 Christmas market.

From everything I've read as well the Wii U has better specs than the 360 which is only natural considering the age of the processors now.

I'm just looking forward to how they're going to try and sell the new consoles. They'll look better obviously but many of the graphical upgrades will be unnoticeable to many people and irrelevant to many more.

They'll sell it like they'll sell everything else.

*look it's new*

Will sell not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

sorry to all.i did not explain myself...
    the big reason the problems happened with the 360
    was because of the eu ban of lead(?)
    or was it some other metal,that was lead us to
    the problems,in most part(xbox)overheating,in the eu?
    anyhoo....roll on (bf3) friday!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The Wii is actually behind a generation, the wii u will only bring it on par with Microsoft and Sonys current hardware.

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    The Wii is actually behind a generation, the wii u will only bring it on par with Microsoft and Sonys current hardware.
    Nintendo have already said it's more powerful, which it should be since they had a headstart on current gen

Nintendo have already said it's more powerful, which it should be since they had a headstart on current gen

They have only said it's on par or slightly more powerful then the current gen. Nintendo are not competing with Sony or MS anymore, they have their own target market and don't need or want top end specs, just enough to do what they want to do.

Whatever MS or Sony come out with, it will be at least twice as powerful as the WiiU in polygon pushing ability plus all the fancy DX11+ effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

agree, bad company 4 here we come ;)

what about Bad Company 3? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

gamercfc wrote: »
    what about Bad Company 3? :P

Will battlefield 3 be on the 360 or the new xbox?? Seriously epic humour fail by yourself there lad

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to how they're going to try and sell the new consoles. They'll look better obviously but many of the graphical upgrades will be unnoticeable to many people and irrelevant to many more.

Easily, there is still along way to go for console graphics.

And people become aware of such deficiencies when developers like DICE have to nerf 64 Player Multiplayer on the PS3/XBox as they don't have the hardware to juggle both graphics and full features.

From DICE CEO - Patrick Bach
    "Everything is a compromise. It's not that we're evil or stupid. We didn't choose not to have more players - we would love to do 64 players on console but then we would have to cut away so much; people would get very upset that it looked worse, played worse and wasn't as fun as the PC version. We would never do that because the fun is always more important."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

justryan wrote: »
    Graphics wise, the 360 and PS3 are 4, soon to be 5 generations behind where we are now. The WiiU is about 2 generations behind, so it'll be a fairly significant step up from both of them.

To put it into context, 360 and PS3 are roughly equivalent to a 2005 PC, the WiiU is roughly equivalent to a late 2008/early 2009 PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Will battlefield 3 be on the 360 or the new xbox?? Seriously epic humour fail by yourself there lad

I think you have a bit of fail on your face there, he said Bad Company 3, which is a different game altogether to Battlefield 3. In fact BC3 isn't even announced, so if a new console were released in 2013 it's not exactly unfeasible that BC3 would be next gen....if they even make a BC3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Blowfish wrote: »
    To put it into context, 360 and PS3 are roughly equivalent to a 2005 PC, the WiiU is roughly equivalent to a late 2008/early 2009 PC.

But in fairness paper specs aside, a well spec'd 2005 PC wouldn't have any hope of playing current releases to the same standard as they run on the 360 or PS3, really.

The average performance card around that time would have been something like 6600GT or X700Pro, both great cards at the time capable of running most games at high-ish settings. They wouldn't even run any new releases at this stage.

In 2005 I think I had a X850XT which was an utter beast at the time and grand up to the likes of COD4 but that card today would be fairly crappy for 2010/2011 releases...not to mention that it cost me a lot of money in 2005. It definitely was not anywhere near your 'average' card of 2005, it was ultra high end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

But in fairness paper specs aside, a well spec'd 2005 PC wouldn't have any hope of playing current releases to the same standard as they run on the 360 or PS3, really.

The average performance card around that time would have been something like 6600GT or X700Pro, both great cards at the time capable of running most games at high-ish settings. They wouldn't even run any new releases at this stage.

In 2005 I think I had a X850XT which was an utter beast at the time and grand up to the likes of COD4 but that card today would be fairly crappy for 2010/2011 releases...not to mention that it cost me a lot of money in 2005. It definitely was not anywhere near your 'average' card of 2005, it was ultra high end stuff.
    Absolutely, it would have been a top end 2005 PC.

I actually wasn't really intending it to be an 360/WiiU vs PC comparison though, but more of an indication that when looking at a 'timeline' of top end hardware available, the WiiU is actually a decent amount ahead of both the 360 and PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I read somewhere recently that MS were not planning anything new until 2015 but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Advertisement