Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beds as toys

• 21-10-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

One of my dogs, springer, will not leave his bed in his kennel. He runs around with it in his mouth, With yesterday so cold and with a taste of things to come how do I stop him or has anyone any idea? He has even started pulling my othr dogs bed from under him while hes asleep. I've tried stapling one into the kennel, no he took it out.

He has toys, to many of them I've given him the kong filled with peanut butter. He doesnt touch his bed inside. I thought it was the bed he didnt like, he does it with ever bed thats outside :confused:

I came home yesterday and he was sleeping on the deck with his bed in the middle of the garden :(

Any ideas wold be fantastic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Same problem here. Harley comes trotting out of his crate tossing his head like a pony with the blanket in his mouth. Would love to see what tips you get to try them out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Same here. Chloe's favourate thing to do to welcome me home is dash inside and attack her inside bed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Great to see hes not alone lol :rolleyes:

I've even tried newspaper and my god the state of the place when I got back.

Would just love to know he is cosy when im out. Hes only out for 2 - 3 max at any one time but the guilt yesterday when he was asleep on the deck

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Same here with my Beagle. Solved it by putting a plastic dog box in his kennel and filling it with straw. :D He loves it, its warm and dry and easy to change or top up as the needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Maybe tack down a rubber mat or some vet bed in to the kennel floor and put the bed on top, that way he might still mess with the bed but might leave the flooring alone.

My collie when she's out and about has her vet bed in her bed, or she can potter about on the grass or tarmac or whereever but she loves to sit herself on top of the picnic table, some dogs like lying on wood although the kennel is wooden some dogs like to faff about in the open air.

Not sure if this would work with him taking the bedding out but it would stop draughts, if you got yourself a dog flap, the ones with the magnets so it closed firmly every time and fit it to the kennel entrance, at least when he does use the kennel it's be more draught free.

My dogs won't throw out their bedding and esp. with the vet bed, they love it so much it's just too cosy to go throwing around. If you haven't tried vet bed maybe give that a go, it's fully washable up to 90 degrees and tumble dries at 40 and lasts years and will put up with being thrown about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

we have a kennel with a flap on it and just nailed the vet bed into the kennel so she can't pull it out and and its working great. She always used to bring it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Yep we stapled the bed to the floor of his bed lol! It works. Our dog even sits on the couch and has secretly pulled out all the stuffing from one of the cushions:mad: He also has a great time humping his bed as well.....!

SlimCi wrote: »
    Yep we stapled the bed to the floor of his bed lol! It works. ....!

We did this :rolleyes: No he pull it out

we have a kennel with a flap on it and just nailed the vet bed into the kennel so she can't pull it out and and its working great. She always used to bring it outside.

Ohhhh a flap in the kennel, Going to give this a shot thans a mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Justask wrote: »
    Ohhhh a flap in the kennel, Going to give this a shot thans a mill.
    ya it's fantastic. Wouldn't buy a kennel without a flap again. Took about 2weeks to train her to use it as she wouldn't push against the door for ages! Now it can be torrential rain all day and we come home to a dry fluffy dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Know where you are coming from our dogs love pulling their bedding around too.
    We used to have stuffed bedding - but our kitchen used to end up looking like a winter's wonderland most mornings - very expensive to keep replacing.

Now use vet bedding - dogs still play with it and pull it out - but we have a good few chew toys for them to really dig into - well those and our shredded skirting boards :(

In terms of the kennels - great if your dog will use them too - ours however despite having hip issues love the cold and the rain - I have had to go out in downpours to pull them into the house and away from lying in the middle of the garden. Never seen anything like it, well OK - reminds me a bit of my brother and I when we were kids - but always thought dogs had more sense than kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Had the same with our sheepdog
    Would pull her blanket all around the place through the wet and muck :rolleyes:

Plastic flooring nailed into the kennel for insulation. And then the kennel is full of straw.
    Lovely and warm, and we just clean it out now and again and throw in fresh straw

Any local farmer would give you a bit of straw no bother if you ask nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Yep that drives me mad. My dog lies out in the pouring rain and his bed with a lovely warm rug and food and water is in our barna shed with the door open. He will not go in out of the rain at all....:mad:

Have to laugh at the amount of other dogs do this I thought mine was juat a tad thick :o

All mine havethe vet beds and yes they are great but they rather a duvet. I buy a king size duvet cut it in 4 and sow up the seems. My old dog has a babies cot duvet and I went to buy one for my other and the cheapest I could find was 45 euro. So I got 4 beds out of 50 with the king size duvet and it washes and drys fast.

Going to put a flap on the kennel tomorrow...fingers crossed

Advertisement