Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ai straws

• 21-10-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Over the past 10 years i have ended up buying AI straws which i have either never used or only used a few of, as a result there are a glut of straws which i am unlikely ever to use just lying in the tank, anyone else have this problem
    its a pity there isnt a company out there that could would facilitate selling these straws on again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Just out of curiosity, what have you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

Post up a list of what you've got an you never know.
    I know Rumsden sell straws for other people on there website from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

pakalasa wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what have you got?

a mixture of everything TBH i badly need to empty out the tank and count them up
    few old ones spring to mind that i have used dam all of
    rsj nwk vdf guy hrb unv abi etc..

ceannfort wrote: »
    Post up a list of what you've got an you never know.
    I know Rumsden sell straws for other people on there website from time to time.
    i think the suituation is different in the uk selling straws on again isnt a big issue the likes of rupert taylor (rumsden) or for the limmys semenstore provide a good outlet

Anyone have unwanted VDC straws (Dovea Belgian Blue)?

• Advertisement

ceannfort wrote: »
    Anyone have unwanted VDC straws (Dovea Belgian Blue)?
    if you get spares i will take them or if anyone has EWN straws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

flatout11 wrote: »
    a mixture of everything TBH i badly need to empty out the tank and count them up
    few old ones spring to mind that i have used dam all of
    rsj nwk vdf guy hrb unv abi etc..

There isn't much wrong with any of those. Would you not just use them up?

pakalasa wrote: »
    There isn't much wrong with any of those. Would you not just use them up?
    there only the ones that sprng to mind!!! and there is always a new one i want to try out!!! plusd the year in battle with the bulls - have to give them a few to keep them happy afterall :D

One that I'm sure someone has an will never use is dovea nanouk. Some of the best calves I ever had, you just had to pick your cows carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Thats the problem with DIY. At least with a technician you only pay for the ones you use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

any Angus straws???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Thats the problem with DIY. At least with a technician you only pay for the ones you use

I see your point but its more to do with no self control and shiny catalogs:rolleyes: I have my tank only 3 years and already have enough in it to do most of next year.:o

But thats kind of my point. Thats why I'm afraid to go DIY, I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop! At least when you o ly buy one at a time the tempation is taken away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

But thats kind of my point. Thats why I'm afraid to go DIY, I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop! At least when you o ly buy one at a time the tempation is taken away

Or investment:pac:

Your own tank doesn't limit you though, I use the Munster technician but hardly none of their straws. They won't go to waste away, use them on repeats or cows with unsure heats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Your own tank doesn't limit you though, I use the Munster technician but hardly none of their straws. They won't go to waste away, use them on repeats or cows with unsure heats etc.

Same boat here. We use mainly Eurogene and our AI man carries heir own straws and private straws in another flask.
    The repeats are usually €10/€12, whereas it's €15 to put in a private straw + the cost of the straw, even for a repeat! So for a repeat it's better economics to use a stock straw and not a private straw.

What's the story if OP wanted to sell off some straws? Are there any snags to be aware of or is it as simple as it seems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

am unsure--think u did a license to trade straws..no?? i use Pg--but also buy straws of other ai companies--dovea etc..they transfer them to there.my ai man! carries my straws around with him

wiggy123 wrote: »
    am unsure--think u did a license to trade straws..no?? i use Pg--but also buy straws of other ai companies--dovea etc..they transfer them to there.my ai man! carries my straws around with him

There certainly is a licence pertaining to DIY AI but I'm not sure as to the exact terms of the licence.
    Does it for example disbar private sales, between parties that both have a licence etc?

all sales have to go through an an approved storage center, usually a stud. it is not legal to do private sales of straws. now it happens and you might get away with it but if the vets in the department find out you'll have problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Had some valuable Charolais Straws a few years ago - advertised them, some other lads did the same thing and got calls from DVO, you cant sell straws privately and AI companies can't take them back for disease reasons.

Highland wrote: »
    Had some valuable Charolais Straws a few years ago - advertised them, some other lads did the same thing and got calls from DVO, you cant sell straws privately and AI companies can't take them back for disease reasons.

I have some at the minute being held by my AI company.
    If I want to sell them can I?

• Advertisement

basically no.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I have some at the minute being held by my AI company.
    If I want to sell them can I?

thats different as they havent left the AI company
    id imagine some arrangement could be reached

Highland wrote: »
    got calls from DVO, you cant sell straws privately and AI companies can't take them back for disease reasons.
    it doesnt make sense really as hey are stored in liquid nitrogen

I take it they are in a technicians pot yes?

I take it they are in a technicians pot yes?

Yep. Currently travelling the highways and byways of Meath, Westmeath, Kildare and Offaly!

well an A.I. center cant take returns even from its own technicians but if he was to bull somebody elses cow by accident with your straw and the other farmer compinsated you for your loss it probably wouldnt be the end of the world ;)
    but by the letter of the law no, you cant

well an A.I. center cant take returns even from its own technicians but if he was to bull somebody elses cow by accident with your straw and the other farmer compinsated you for your loss it probably wouldnt be the end of the world ;)
    but by the letter of the law no, you cant

Interesting. Thanks for that.
    I think for simplicity sake I'll just get him to stick them in one of my own cows!
    As regards an AI man making a mistake, it has happened us, We had a PB Charolais heifer AI'd to a BB, genuine mistake. Powerful calf resulted!

well an A.I. center cant take returns even from its own technicians

whats the disese risk there concerned about???

I dont know the department vets come up with some crazy ideas. like that a pathogen can exit one sealed plastic straw, swim through liquid nitrogen and then enter another sealed plastic straw a foot away:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I dont know the department vets come up with some crazy ideas. like that a pathogen can exit one sealed plastic straw, swim through liquid nitrogen and then enter another sealed plastic straw a foot away:rolleyes:
    ah yea that happens all the time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: its a funny setup really

Advertisement