Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops closing in Rathgar?

Options
  • 21-10-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice the amount of businesses closing in Rathgar recently?

The chinese right beside the flower shop closed, not that it was ever open that much anyway. I'd say Kanum took a lot of their business which is fair enough considering their food is miles better.

The Spar. This only happened last Saturday I think. I was definitely in there last week and everything seemed normal. Next thing I see signs up outside saying shop is closed no more milk deliveries? Probably can't afford to compete with Superquinn anymore

I think the Unicare Pharmaacy has closed as well, not too sure about that but the late night pharmacy seems to do much better business.

I'd say xtra vision or one of the butchers is next go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Inevitable, as you say chinese went no doubt due to the vastly superior and what seems to be hugely popular Kanum. Spar was always going to find it massively difficult with Superquinn literally next door, why would anyone bother with Spar any more really?

As it is, you'd think there could be a further knock on effect, to be fair Rathgar has always been over-populated with similar shops, two pharmacies, two newsagents, two butchers, two off licences, could even stretch to say two gourmet food shops although they're not very similar, anyway point being i'm surprised they've all lasted this long anyway.

Superquinn effects all of the above with the exception of the pharmacies really, whether the rest survive will be down to whether people really care for their local, well-known type shop or succumb to the big name, handy for everything type job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

pizza hut went a few weeks ago too...and that restaurant poppadoms closed over the summer too, and that fancy house furniture store next to kanum I think it was called affinity shut down quite a long time ago.I doubt extravision will ever go...its really handy to walk up to and get a movie, would be sad to see it go,doubt it will though ,always see a few people in there. I'd say that little flower shop will have to go soon. I dont know how its lasted this long...flower shops are probably certified recession casualties:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Biggest problem all the shops had, was the parking.
    Few people will walk from the car park at the back of AIB or the car park in Superquinn to the shops.
    Spar had to close according to the owner as he couldn't compete since Superquinn opened.

Advertisement