Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC English

• 21-10-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey everyone I'm a 6th year student. I'm extremely worried about English as I really need a B in the Leaving. We've literally only done two poets, Hamlet and a bit of the Comparative. I've been getting solid Bs in every english question I've done. Is it possible for me to get a B in the actually Leaving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The real place you'll get the marks is the paper one essay, so practice that. I'd say start learning the poets on your own, but once you do that you should be pretty ok.
    Is there anyway you could change teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

I've thought about changing teachers but it'll cause a bit of controversy.. It's just a pretty hard subject to teach yourself! But I'm just gonna get cracking on the poetry myself. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Go for the controversy, a good teacher makes so much difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Your teacher is probably only going to cover 4 or 5 poets anyway, so you've enough done. When you say 'a bit of the comparative', what do you mean? Have you studied all the texts? Have you covered some of the modes i.e. Theme/Issue, GVVP or Literary Genre?

Paper II is only worth the same as Paper I, so not having all of Paper II covered at this stage isn't a big deal. Now, if the majority isn't covered around the time of the mocks, then start getting worried. It is a two-year course.

Have you spoken to the teacher about your concerns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm fairly sure that's the exact same as what I'd covered this time last year, so it sounds pretty good. My teacher was amazing so really I don't think you'd need to have covered much more than that at this stage. Leaving Certs spend VERY little time on paper one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

If you want to go ahead and look over a few things yourself ahead of your teacher, I can't recommend Key Notes enough. It has brilliant notes on all of the poets, Hamlet and it covers 'How Many Miles to Babylon' 'Inside I'm Dancing' and 'Dancing at Lughnasa' in relation to the comparative study.

Also, this site http://leavingcertenglish.net/ has some really handy tips and helped me a lot in understanding the comparative study.

Advertisement