Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dr. oetker vege-gel

Options
  • 21-10-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I found this vegetarian gelatine in Tesco's today.
    I wonder has anyone used it in desserts and how it turned out.
    I have veggie friends who cant eat stuff with the normal gelatine in and I would like to try a few desserts for them. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I imagine it should be fine if you use it instead of beef gelatine. I haven't tried it myself but it seems like a fine replacement. Agar flakes on the other hand are a harder replacement to work with...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thanks.
    I will have a go at a cheesecake soon. Will let you know how it goes, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I was looking for this stuff and cannot find it in any tescos in town, I'm almost certain I've seen it in Tescos Clearwater before though. So if anyone knows where to get it in town let me know. I could get the agar flakes in nourish and down to earth but the cheapest place I saw them was fallon and byrne actually! But are they completely different to work with? Dont want to be wasting my money.

rang a few tescos there and none of them seem to do it anymore :( If anyone knows of anywhere else I can check let me know thanks!

Ended up getting 'gulaman' in my local indian shop. Just happened to see it beside the bars of agar agar. It just says gelling agent: E407 on the back which is carrageenan. It's in a powder form and does also contain sugar so I'm not sure if that's gona be a problem with what I'm using it for but the powder might also be easier to work with. But anyway, €1.20! And agar flakes were gona cost me nearly €9 in the health shops.

kti0P.jpg

(I'll stop talking to myself now)

• Advertisement
Advertisement