Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red irritation in babies skin folds

• 21-10-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, i noticed today that in the creases of skin on my 4month olds neck, that thgere is a redness and irritation. I think its from milk rolling down his chin, and hes also teething so is dribblinb alot. So i presume its from the skin getting wet and then sitting together. This same thing is under his arm pit. Any tips on what to use on it ot how to prevent it altogether?? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GL26

Hi - this happened here too. Wash with cotton wool and warm water and put some vaseline in there to protect it from moisture. I did this and it cleared in a day. It can be difficult to get into that area though! My baby didn't know what I was at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Had forgotten we had this with our daughter too until your post reminded me! Agree with cleaning it out, but we put sudocream on it and that cleared it up for us on bad days. There's not too much you can do as it really needs air but obviously you can't sit stretching the skin out! It will disappear as your baby gets older and the neck folds more exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I used caldescene powder on any damp areas & it dried the moisture up straight away. It's inevitable when babies dribble so much, but try to keep the area as dry as possible by changing bibs after a feed, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, thanks for replies! So its common enough then...good! Its so hard to get it at his neck, but i cleaned it with cotton wool and water and then but bepanthen on it. In regard to the last suggestion of the caldence powder, can that be used on the neck etc, or is it just for nappy area? Its a good idea, that or baby powder would dry out the area thus preventing it from getting red from being wet. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I use the caldesene on fatso's neck folds. He was teething lately and the drool was getting caught in the folds, creating the rash. I've had no bother with it and it works a treat. Just make sure it doesn't go everywhere i.e. near his nose, mouth or eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep, small layer of caldesene and blow it so it doesn't make a paste if it gets wet again. Need to keep the area clean and dry for it to heal, not more wet by putting creams on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I had the exact same problem ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216622

I used to lie him down on a mat and kneel at his head so he would look backwards/up at me, then I could easily clean, dry and powder his neck with Caldesene.. did this every morning and evening and it cleared up when he was around 5 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bashful

I found Bepanthen nanny rash cream brilliant got rid of the redness very quick.

Advertisement